|Elevation||3 ft (0.9 m)|
|Area||4.7 sq mi (12.2 km2)|
|- land||4.7 sq mi (12 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||691.3 / sq mi (266.9 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Chauvin is a census-designated place (CDP) in Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 3,229 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Houma–Bayou Cane–Thibodaux Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Chauvin is located at (29.447056, -90.593486).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.7 square miles (12 km2), of which, 4.7 square miles (12 km2) of it is land and 0.21% is water.
West of the village is the Bayou Chauvin Oil and Gas Field.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,229 people, 1,090 households, and 886 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 691.3 people per square mile (267.0/km²). There were 1,162 housing units at an average density of 248.8 per square mile (96.1/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.00% White, 0.09% African American, 1.98% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.03% from other races, and 0.59% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.68% of the population.
There were 1,090 households out of which 40.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.6% were married couples living together, 9.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.7% were non-families. 14.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.96 and the average family size was 3.27.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 28.0% under the age of 18, 10.3% from 18 to 24, 28.9% from 25 to 44, 20.8% from 45 to 64, and 12.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 102.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $25,922, and the median income for a family was $28,897. Males had a median income of $32,168 versus $16,495 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $10,492. About 17.1% of families and 20.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.3% of those under age 18 and 27.5% of those age 65 or over.
Notable natives and residents
- Ray Authement, the fifth president of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette from 1974 to 2008 and the longest serving president of a public university in the United States, was born near Chauvin in 1928.
- Leonard J. Chabert, member of both houses of the Louisiana State Legislature from Terrebonne and Lafourche parishes from 1972 to 1992, was born in Chauvin c. 1932.
Origin of the name of the town is Chauvin Brothers and local hardware store.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Newsmaker of the Year". theind.com. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- "Ray Paul Authement". wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- "Leonard J. Chabert". intelius.com. Retrieved July 15, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chauvin, Louisiana.|