|Birth name||Cheryline Ernestine Lim|
|Born||10 March 1983|
|Origin||Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia|
|Genres||R&B, dancehall, hip hop, dance, reggae, reggaeton, reggae fusion|
|Labels||EMI, Capitol, Universal, Mr. 305 Inc.|
|Associated acts||Cham, Colby O'Donis, Lecca, Shaggy|
1983-2005: Early life
Cheryline Lim was born 10 March 1983. She was born to a Bornean-born Chinese father, and a mother of a mixed of Indian and Dutch heritage. Born in Kota Kinabalu,Sabah,Borneo, Lim and her family moved to Perth, Australia when she was 10 years old. As a child she gained the attention of her father after singing in his karaoke lounge, seeing her talent. She later started writing and producing her own music in her home studio. Sir Charles Dixon discovered her talents, after she uploaded some of her music onto Myspace. Dixon took her material to Virgin Records and Virgin flew Che'nelle to New York at the end of 2005 to meet with representatives from the label. The chairman of the label and longtime music business baron, Jason Flom, signed her immediately. Within two days, she had completed the deal and was marketed as a world-class artist. Che'nelle worked as a promotions assistant before moving to New York in January after signing a six-album deal with Virgin Records America. In Australia, she is represented by EMI.
2006-08: Things Happen for a Reason
She performed as the opening act on Kanye West's Australian tour in March 2006.
Her debut album Things Happen for a Reason was released on 25 September 2007 in Japan and 29 October 2007 in Australia. The first single from this album was "I Fell in Love with the DJ" featuring reggae artist Cham. The song was also produced in Bahasa Malaysia with the title of "DJ yang Ku Puja".
Also, she co-wrote Carmit Bachar's single "Fierce", Ricki-Lee's debut single "Hell No!" and Leona Lewis's song "Can't Breathe".
Her second album was later confirmed and given the working title Feel Good, named after the first single from the album.
The first single "Feel Good" from this album is strongly influenced by Reggae and Dancehall music just like her first single "I Fell in Love with the DJ" from her debut album (Things Happen for a Reason) which features Jamaican Dancehall artist "Cham". The music video for "Feel Good" premiered online on 11 January 2010.
The album Feel Good was released on 10 February 2010 in Japan via EMI Japan.
The album has so far garnered the singles "Feel Good" and "Missing".
Her third album and first cover album, called Luv Songs was released on 20 July 2011 in Japan only, which featured covers of songs by American R&B singers such as Ne-Yo, Minnie Ripperton and Whitney Houston and also songs in Japanese.
|2007||Things Happen for a Reason
|2011||Luv Songs (ラブ・ソングス)
|2013||Aishiteru (アイシテル; I Love You)
|Best Songs (ベスト・ソングス)
|2014||Luv Songs 2 (ラブ・ソングス 2)
|2012||Touch (Close to You)
As lead artist
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Sales and Certifications||Album|
|2007||"I Fell in Love with the DJ"||62||98||30||35||—||—||—||—||33||11||47||Things Happen for a Reason|
|2008||"First Love" feat. Lecca||—||—||—||—||—||—||51||—||—||—||—||Feel Good|
|"Missing"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Feel Good / Luv Songs|
|"Baby I Love U"||—||—||—||—||32||—||21||5||—||—||—|
|"Fall in Love (Single Version)"||—||—||—||—||—||—||77||—||—||—||—||Touch (Close To You) EP|
|"Touch (Close To You)"||—||—||—||—||—||—||79||—||—||—||—||Touch (Close To You) EP
|2014||"Zutto (English Version)"||—||—||—||—||—||—||12||—||—||—||—||Luv Songs 2|
As featured artist
|2005||"Young Boy"||Messiahbolical||Throwaway Rhymes Pt. II (Mixtape)|
|2007||"Somebody’s Gotta"||Various Artists||Powerful Music, Vol. 2|
|"I'm Still Here"||Powerful Music, Vol. 3|
|2009||"Hold On Me"||Israel||The Legacy|
|"Wish You Were Here"||Mýa||Sugar & Spice|
|"III Woman"||The III Ones|
|"Hands On"||Casely feat. Vein|
|"Postcard"||Lil' Eddie||City of My Heart|
|2010||"Ohh Yeah (Reggae)"||Jaicko|
|"Streets"||Akon feat. L.A.|
|2011||"Here On Earth"||Chrishan||Heart of a Lion|
|"Sunadokei"||SEEDA||In The Moment|
|"Girls"||SEEDA feat. Hayashi Taka|
|2012||"No Tears Left"||Davion Farris|
|"The Last Word"||Jimmy Burney|
|"Spend a Little Time"||Knowledge Bones||Eyes on the Prize|
|"Till It's Done"||Bizoh|
|"Titanium"||David Guetta||Nothing But the Beat 2.0 (Japanese Edition)|
|"After the Storm"||AI||Moriagaro|
|"Be Right There"||Dandee||Building Bridges|
|"Fun Fun Christmas"||TEE feat. LEO||Francfranc presents Fun Fun Christmas / Best Songs|
|2014||"Happy Tears"||SPICY CHOCOLATE feat. MACO||Shibuya Shunai Monogatari|
|2007||"Hooked Up"||Dear Summer, Vol. 2|
|2011||"Somethin' 'Bout A Saturday"||Elle: A Modern Cinderella Tale Soundtrack|
Awards and nominations
|2008||Japan Gold Disc Award||Top New Artist||Che'Nelle||Won|
|2012||Concept Album of the Year||Luv Songs||Won|
|MTV Video Music Awards Japan||Best Karaokee! Song||Baby I Love U||Nominated|
|2013||Japan Gold Disc Award||Western Artist of the Year||Che'Nelle||Won|
|Western Album of the Year||Believe||Won|
|Song of the Year by Download||Believe||Won|
|Best 3 Western Albums||Believe||Won|
- Air Bourne (13 February 2010). "Malaysian-born singer Che’Nelle is back with her second disk, "Feel Good"". The Bajan Reporter. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- "Che'Nelle Music News & Info". Billboard. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- Chandran, Sheela (25 July 2007). "Virgin deal for Malaysian-born singer Che'nelle". The Star Online (Star Publications (Malaysia) Bhd). Retrieved 26 July 2007.
- "Artist - Che'Nelle". EMI Music Japan. 2010. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- (Japanese) http://www.riaj.or.jp/data/others/gold/201112.html
- (Japanese) http://www.riaj.or.jp/data/others/gold/201210.html
- "Certification list" (in Japanese). August 2013. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- (Japanese) http://www.riaj.or.jp/data/others/gold/201401.html
- PDFAustralian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2 March 2010
- "Chenelle and Cham - I Fell In Love With The Dj global chart positions and trajectories". aCharts.us. Retrieved 15 December 2007.
- (Japanese) http://www.riaj.or.jp/data/others/chart/w131120.html
- (Japanese) http://www.riaj.or.jp/data/others/chart/w121120.html
- (English) http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/09/riaj-reveals-digital-certifications-for-august-2012/
- (Japanese) http://www.riaj.or.jp/data/others/chart/w130419.html
- (English) http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/08/riaj-reveals-digital-certifications-for-july-2012/
- (Japanese) http://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=hot100&year=2013&month=05&day=13
- (Japanese) http://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=hot100&year=2013&month=07&day=15
- (Japanese) http://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=hot100&year=2013&month=08&day=19
- (Japanese) http://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=hot100&year=2014&month=04&day=21
- (Japanese) http://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=hot100&year=2014&month=11&day=10