Cheap Thrills (film)
SXSW film poster
|Directed by||E.L. Katz|
|Written by||Trent Haaga
|Distributed by||Drafthouse Films|
|Running time||85 mins|
Craig (Pat Healy), is an auto mechanic who loses his job. He is unable to pay his rent and after seeing the eviction sign, he goes to a bar, where he meets someone from his old high school, Vince (Ethan Embry). A rich couple, Colin and Violet (David Koechner and Sara Paxton), give them money for completing certain tasks. The tasks are simple at first, but they later become violent.
It is E.L. Katz's first film, which he also was the writer for. After premiering at SXSW, a day-long auction took place for rights to the film in a rare bidding war. Drafthouse Films, partnered with Snoot Entertainment, won the auction. Drafthouse Films plan on releasing the film theatrically on limited screens. It later screened at the Fantasia International Film Festival.
Joe Leydon, writing for Variety, said that film "is a thoroughly nasty piece of work, which doubtless will be the strongest selling point for this worst-case scenario about steadily escalating dares and degradations". John Defore, of The Hollywood Reporter, said that the film is "one of the most involving works of cinematic misanthropy in years". Defore compared the film to Indecent Proposal and The Most Dangerous Game. Scott Weinberg, of the online horror magazine Fearnet said, "Cheap Thrills breezes by on a twisted idea, a fantastic cast, and a bunch of ethical quandaries that are both eerily uncomfortable and slyly fascinating at the same time".
Simon Foster, of SBS Films, said, "A textbook case of a film that never quite amounts to the sum of its parts, Cheap Thrills is still more than its title suggests and provides dark entertainment for those in the mood."
- Yamato, Jen (March 11, 2013). "UPDATE: Drafthouse Films Picks Up ‘Cheap Thrills’ In First Deal Of SXSW 2013". Deadline. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- DeFore, John (August 6, 2013). "Cheap Thrills - H2013 Cheap Thrills: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- Leydon, Joe (March 22, 2013). "Film Review: ‘Cheap Thrills’". Variety. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- Weinberg, Scott (March 9, 2013). "FEARnet Movie Review: 'Cheap Thrills'". Fearnet. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- Foster, Simon. "Cheap Thrills". SBS Films. Retrieved August 28, 2013.