|Elevation||664 ft (202 m)|
|Area||1.19 sq mi (3 km2)|
|- land||1.19 sq mi (3 km2)|
|- water||0.00 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||2,625.4 / sq mi (1,014 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Chebanse, Illinois|
Chebanse is a village in Chebanse Township, Iroquois County in the U.S. state of Illinois; the north portion of the town lies in Otto Township, Kankakee County. The population was 1,148 at the 2000 census, and 1,088 in 2009. The Kankakee County portion of Chebanse is included in the Kankakee-Bradley, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Chebanse is located at .
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 1.19 square miles (3.1 km2), all land.
Chebanse is partly located in Iroquois County, but a portion extends northward into Kankakee County, and thus, into the Chicago metropolitan area.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,148 people, 440 households, and 326 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,625.4 people per square mile (1,007.4/km²). There were 450 housing units at an average density of 1,029.1 per square mile (394.9/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 98.61% White, 0.26% African American, 0.26% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 0.44% from other races, and 0.35% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.13% of the population.
There were 440 households out of which 35.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.8% were married couples living together, 9.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.9% were non-families. 22.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the village the population was spread out with 26.0% under the age of 18, 8.0% from 18 to 24, 29.1% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 14.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 90.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.9 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $50,066, and the median income for a family was $53,333. Males had a median income of $41,008 versus $21,607 for females. The per capita income for the village was $19,290. About 2.1% of families and 3.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.7% of those under age 18 and 2.6% of those age 65 or over.
Pickering Bros. Lawn Care, established 1999
- Nicholas Pickering (Senior Partner, Owner)
- Christopher Pickering (Senior Partner, Owner)
- Daniel Pickering (Senior Partner, Owner, Current Manager)
- Brian Pickering (Senior Partner, Owner, Current Manager)
- Joshua Pickering (Junior Partner)
- Caleb Pickering (Junior Partner)
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Places: Illinois". 2010 Census Gazetteer Files. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "The People of the Prairie", Charles Warwick, The Illinois Steward, vo. 16, no. 2, 2007
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.