Cheer, Dorothy, Cheer!
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010)|
Cheer, Dorothy, Cheer! is a non-profit organization based in Minneapolis, Minnesota (United States). The organization was founded by three gay men in 2002 to promote diversity, raise HIV/AIDS awareness, and raise money for other non-profit organizations.
The performance group has grown to include six performers: Shayne, Carlos, Nate, David, Dennis and Marc. The group members perform in cheerleader costumes with each costume highlighted by one of the colors of the Rainbow Flag—red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. The routines are highly choreographed numbers in the style of female competitive cheerleaders or dancelines, generally set to campy or iconically gay musical numbers (such as Britney Spears songs) and often interspersed with quotes from The Wizard of Oz and other movies. The group frequently performs at gay and AIDS related events in the upper Midwestern United States. A portion of funds raised at performances are donated to organizations "that promote gay, lesbian and transgender diversity as well as AIDS awareness" with a primary recipient being Park House, an HIV day-clinic.
While the men wear costumes styled after typical female cheerleader outfits (including miniskirt and pom-pons), they are not female impersonators or drag queens. They make no effort to hide the fact that they are male (several wear goatees or other facial hair).
In addition to campy dance and musical performances referencing gay icons at events from Milwaukee's Pridefest to the Twin Cities Pride Parade the troupe also hosts community events including emceeing trans and genderqueer events, headlining the National Coming Out Week Annual Gender-Bender Drag Show at Minnesota State University and the Minnesota Red Ribbon Ride AIDS fundraiser.
In 2007 Cheer, Dorothy, Cheer! registered as a non-profit organization and received a Lavender Pride Award for "bringing laughter and awareness about issues of HIV and diversity."
- Fitzpatrick, Mike (2006-06-11). "Sun Shines On PrideFest's Saturday Session". Quest Magazine. Retrieved 2007-08-12.
- "Twin Cities Pride Parade line-up". Twin Cities Pride. June 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-12.[dead link]
- "The Seventh GenderBlur". GenderBLUR. 2003-02-22. Retrieved 2007-08-12.[dead link]
- "Past Events 2005-2006". Minnesota State University. 2007-04-24. Retrieved 2007-08-12.
- "2004 Ride: Cheer, Dorothy, Cheer!". Red Ribbon Ride. 2004. Retrieved 2007-08-12.
- Fink, Daniel (August 2007). "An Astute Salute 5th Annual Lavender Pride Awards". Lavender Magazine. Archived from the original on 2007-08-19. Retrieved 2007-08-12.
|This article about a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender-related organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Minnesota-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This dance-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|