Cheerful Little Earful
"Cheerful Little Earful" is a 1930 song composed by Harry Warren, with lyrics by Ira Gershwin and Billy Rose. It was written for the musical Sweet and Low (1930). Fanny Brice, the wife of Billy Rose, starred in Sweet and Low, where she and George Jessel sang the song.The actress Hannah Williams was known in particular for the song, "Cheerful Little Earful" in which she also performed in the Broadway production of Sweet and Low.
As the last line of each stanza notes, the "cheerful little earful" is "the well known 'I love you.'"
The piece became popular outside of the show and was recorded in several forms.
- Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Songbook (Verve, 1959) and Get Happy! (Verve, 1959).
- " 'Sweet and Low' Listing, Broadway, 1930 (see Songs)" Internet Broadway Database, accessed May 30, 2013
- Garner, Paul and Mrotek Kissane, Sharon F., Mousie Garner: Autobiography of a Vaudeville Stooge, Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company 1999. ISBN 0-7864-0581-3, p. 34
- "Cheerful Little Earful", The Virtual Victrola, October 12, 2007, accessed May 30, 2013
- Lyrics at HarryWarren.org
|This jazz standard or composition-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This pop standards-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This show tune-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|