Place of origin
|Hot dog, cheese or processed cheese|
|Variations||Carolina dog, Coney dog, Francheezie, Macaroni and cheese dog, Reuben dog, Seattle-style hot dog, Swiss-style cheese dogs|
|Cookbook:Cheese dog Cheese dog|
In the United States, sliced or grated cheese, such cheddar or American cheese, is commonly used, often served melted on the hot dogs. The use of other types of cheese also occurs, such as cream cheese and Swiss cheese. The cheese may be on the bun, on the wiener, processed inside the hot dog, or placed in the middle of a hot dog that has been sliced in half.
In Chicago there is a variation of the danger dog called the Francheezie. Typically found at "greasy spoon" restaurants, it consists of a jumbo hot dog split in the middle and filled with Cheddar cheese (or Velveeta). It is wrapped in bacon and deep-fried, then served on a toasted bun.
Macaroni and cheese dog
Swiss-style cheese dogs
A Swiss schnauzer is a regional variation consisting of a bratwurst served with Swiss cheese and sauerkraut. In San Diego, California, a Swiss-style hot dog called a "Swiener" is prepared with a hot dog and Raclette cheese stuffed inside of hollowed-out baguette bread.
- Mercuri, Becky (2007). The Great American Hot Dog Book: Recipes and Side Dishes from Across America. Gibbs Smith. ISBN 1-4236-0022-3. Retrieved 2010-08-01.
- "Whistle Dog". Aw.ca. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Gilovich, Paula; et al. (2001). The Stranger Guide to Seattle. Loaded For Bear Publishing. ISBN 1570612560 Accessed August 2012.
- Noell, Cathey (July 24, 2012). "A new twist on hot dogs for the dog days of summer". Gaston Gazette. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Browning, Eddy (July 10, 2012). "We're talking hot dogs". Sun Journal. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Jakle, John A.; Sculle, Keith A. (1999). Fast Food: Roadside Restaurants in the Automobile Age. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press. ISBN 0-8018-6109-8..
- "FOX 2's Backyard Bash with Chef Kelli". WJBK Fox News Channel 2 (Detroit). June 1, 2012. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- Blevins, Ken (June 28, 2010). "In the Kitchen with Ken - Hot dogs go Mexican, Carolina and American for Fourth of July". Star News Online. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- Purvis, Kathleen (July 1, 2009). "Perfect chili for your dog". The News & Observer. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "Cincinnati Chili: Pass the Tabasco". Fodors. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Hassell, Bravetta (May 28, 2012). "Hot dogs have long history, longer list of toppings". Tulsa World. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- Bruno, Pat (April 14, 1989). "Frank talk about francheezies". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved August 17, 2012. (subscription required)
- Pierce, Victoria (July 11, 2006). "Ice cream may be dandy, but parlor bets on liquor". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- Murphy, Marc. "Marc Murphy's Ditch Plains Ditch Dogs". Good Morning America (ABC News). Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- Werner, Christopher (April 28, 2011). "The Wurst Place Will Source the Country’s Best Sausages". Seattle Met Magazine. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- Johns, Greg (April 11, 2008). "Lots of New Food Items on Safeco Field Menu". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved October 6, 2011.
- Hobart, Erica (February 12, 2010). "Are Cream Cheese Hot Dogs Really a Seattle Thing?". The Seattle Weekly. Retrieved October 6, 2011.
- Bauer, Jon (August 3, 2009). "In Our Frank Opinion". The Herald (Everett, WA). Retrieved October 11, 2011.
- Bedford, Ed (June 6, 2012). "Swiener: Fondue on a Stick?". San Diego Reader. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- Paulas, Rick (April 18, 2012). "Extreme Hot Dogging at Dodger Stadium". KCET Television. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- DeMere, Camille (July 4, 2012). "NYC’s 7 Best Hot Dogs". CBS New York. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- Parsons, Dana (November 15, 1995). "Case of Stolen Chili Cheese Dog Is a Little Hard to Digest". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 3, 2012. (subscription required)
- Danahey, Mike (June 7, 2012). "Holy cholesterol! Rosati’s and Vienna Beef launching chili cheese dog pizza". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "Rosati’s Combines Hot Dogs, Pizza With New Menu Item". CBS Chicago. June 8, 2012. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "Our picks for the top 10 eats at Rangers Ballpark, including two-foot hot dogs". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- Mercuri, Becky (2007). The Great American Hot Dog Book. Gibbs Smith. ISBN 9781423600220 Accessed August 3, 2012.
- "Cincinnati Chili Cheese Coney". The Food Channel. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "Hot Dog Of The Week: Seattle Style". Seriouseats.com. October 2, 2009. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Cheese dogs at Google images