The company was originally founded to distribute television programmes in Eastern Europe, but now operates in 138 countries. They operate channels under 7 brands, albeit with some limited to specific countries, and provide 22 sound tracks across these.
Its English speaking-targeted channels show mainly US and Canadian imports as well as older BBC and ITV produced content; whereas its Central European stations show large quantities of recent British television. Original sound tracks are provided on most shows which are dubbed.
On 14 September 2009, it was revealed that the international arm of CBS, CBS Studios International, struck a joint venture deal with Chellomedia to launch six CBS-branded channels in the UK during 2009. The new channels would replace Zone Romantica, Zone Thriller, Zone Horror and Zone Reality, plus timeshift services Zone Horror +1 and Zone Reality +1. On 1 October 2009, it was announced that CBS Reality, CBS Reality +1, CBS Drama and CBS Action would launch on 16 November 2009 replacing Zone Reality, Zone Reality +1, Zone Romantica and Zone Thriller.
On 5 April 2010, Zone Horror was rebranded as Horror Channel, following the rebrand of the portfolio’s other three channels in November 2009. On-air the channel name appears as Horror. The rebrand was produced by Chello Zone’s in-house creative services team.
On 28 October 2013, AMC Networks announced it would acquire Chellomedia an international operator (apart from its Benelux division) of television networks owned by Liberty Global, for around $1.04 billion.
- CBS Action (joint venture with CBS Studios International)
- CBS Drama (joint venture with CBS Studios International)
- CBS Europa (joint venture with CBS Studios International)
- CBS Reality (joint venture with CBS Studios International)
- CBS Reality +1 (joint venture with CBS Studios International)
- Extreme Sports Channel
- Fine Living Network (joint venture with Scripps Networks Interactive)
- Food Network (joint venture with Scripps Networks Interactive)
- Horror Channel (joint venture with CBS Studios International)
- JimJam (joint venture with HiT Entertainment)
- MGM Channel EMEA
- Outdoor Channel (joint venture with Outdoor Channel Holdings Inc.)
- Zone Club
- Zone Europa
- Zone Fantasy
- Zone Horror
- Zone Reality
- Zone Reality Extra
- Zone Reality +1
- Zone Romantica
- Zone Thriller
- "CBS FINALChello Zone partnership press release" (DOC). Chello Zone. 2009-09-14.
- "CBS to launch UK channels with Chellomedia". Broadcastnow. 2009-09-14.
- "CBS channels to launch in UK". Broadcastnow. 2009-10-01.
- "Zone Horror rebrands as Horror Channel". Broadband TV News. 2010-03-31.
- "UK's Zone Horror Reverting to Its Horror Channel Name". Dread Central. 2010-03-31.
- "CBS and Chellomedia take entertainment across EMEA". Broadband TV News. 2012-08-01.
- Chatterjee, Soham (2013-10-28). "AMC to buy most of Liberty Global's international content unit". Reuters. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- Julian Clover (2 August, 2012). "Chellomedia acquires MGM Networks". Broadband TV News.
- "Chellomedia - chellozone". Chello Media. September 7, 2012.
- "Chello Zone acquires WBITD content". C21 Media. 26 January 2009. Retrieved 20 December 2009.