||This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
|Created by||Rory McGrath & Jimmy Mulville|
|Written by||Rory McGrath & Jimmy Mulville|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||2|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Running time||24 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hat Trick Productions|
|Original channel||Channel 4|
|Original run||9 March 1988– 20 February 1990|
The series was set in the British town of Chelmsford in the year AD 123, and concerned the power struggle between Roman governor Aulus Paulinus (Jimmy Mulville) and the British chieftain, Badvoc (Rory McGrath). Britain is a miserable place, cold and wet – just the place to exile Aulus for accidentally insulting the Emperor's horse, but also give him something useful to do. Aulus, probably a play on Aulus Platorius Nepos, the governor of Roman Britain between 122 and 125, was a rather delicate Roman, who was usually outwitted by the scheming Badvoc, who hadn't had a haircut for twenty-five years. Many of the other regular "Hat Trick" actors, previously seen in shows such as Who Dares Wins, also appeared.
Series 1 and 2 was released on DVD by Acorn Media UK on 15 September 2011.
Principal cast 
- Rory McGrath -- Badvoc, British chieftain
- Jimmy Mulville -- Aulus Paulinus, Roman Governor of Britain
- Philip Pope -- Grasientus, Aulus' Brother in-law. (Pope also wrote the series' title music.)
- Howard Lew Lewis -- Blag
- Neil Pearson -- Mungo
- Erika Hoffman -- Gargamadua, Badvoc's girlfriend (Series 1 only)
- Robert Austin -- Functio (Series 1 only)
Also appearing in a number of episodes were :-
- Geoffrey McGivern -- Wolfbane
- Geoffrey Whitehead -- Viatorus, engineer, bringer of rain, sculptor (unable to do noses, "not all elephants have trunks"), ...
- Andy Hamilton -- Taranis, British "warrior" and sometime programme associate.
- Chris Langham -- The Gate Guard.
- Bill Wallis -- Emperor.
Episode list 
Series 1: 1988 
- Arrivederci Roma -- 9 March 1988 (sections in Rome played entirely in Latin, until Aulus arrives in Britain)
- What's Your Poison? -- 16 March 1988
- The Girl of My Dreams -- 23 March 1988
- One For The Road -- 30 March 1988
- Vidi Vici Veni -- 6 April 1988
- Peeled Grapes and Pedicures -- 13 April 1988
Series 2: 1990 
- Heads You Lose -- 9 January 1990
- Get Well Soon -- 16 January 1990
- Bird Trouble -- 23 January 1990
- Odi, et Amo -- 30 January 1990
- The Secret War -- 6 February 1990
- Mine's a Double -- 13 February 1990
- Something Beginning With 'E' -- 20 February 1990 (as with first episode, sections in Rome played entirely in Latin, until the Emperor arrives in Britain)