Chelo (American singer)
Jose Oscar Mejias Hernandez, better known as Chelo, is a hip-hop and pop singer based in Miami Beach, Florida, signed with Sony BMG as a solo artist. His debut album is 360°, and fuses pop, urban and Latin music. The album is recorded in Spanglish. He is of Puerto Rican descent. His single "Cha Cha" was nominated for two Billboard Latin Music Awards.
Chelo grew up in San Juan, Puerto Rico, the only child of an accountant and a secretary. His father put him in as a guest conga player in his salsa band, and young Chelo also would sing at family events. Chelo was asked by reggaeton star Daddy Yankee to assist him as a choreographer while still in high school, which led to his joining the groups Jyve V and Mexican ATM, which both had songs in the Billboard Latin Top 40.
- Levin, Jordan (September 20, 2006). "Can you 'Cha Cha'?", The News & Observer, p. E14.
- (September 22, 2006). "Hot Cha Cha sells album", The Morning Star, p. B7.
- Brown, Marisa. "Chelo: Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved December 25, 2012.
- Cobo, Leila (April 28, 2007). "Party Time: Celebration Kicks Into High Gear At Annual Bash", Billboard 119 (17): LM6.
- Booth, Michelle A. (August 24, 2006). "World, meet Chelo", Conexion, p. A21.
- Apaza Retamoso, Nelly (July 27, 2006). "Chelo, con la música en las venas", La Opinión, p. 14