Chelsea Food Services
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
Chelsea Food Services is an airline catering company based at Continental Center I in Downtown Houston, Texas. The company is a subsidiary of United Airlines (inherited from United's (2010) merger with Continental Airlines, the previous owner and creator of the company) making it currently the only airline catering company to be operated in-house by a United States-based airline (previously, American Airlines created and operated its own catering company called Sky Chefs Inc, now known as LSG Sky Chefs and owned by Lufthansa). The company employs 2,200 workers (including 125 in Cleveland) and has no official website.
Chelsea operates kitchens at the following airports:
- Cleveland Hopkins International Airport - Cleveland, Ohio
- Denver International Airport - Denver, Colorado
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport - Houston, Texas
- Newark International Airport - Newark, New Jersey
- Honolulu International Airport - Honolulu, Hawai'i
In addition to United Airlines itself, some other Chelsea customers include Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Emirates Airline, Frontier Airlines, KLM, Singapore Airlines, China Airlines, Iceland Air, Jetstar Airways, World Airways and Omni International Airlines.
On October 1, 2010, Continental Airlines and UAL Corporation merged to form United Continental Holdings. United currently holds contracts with rivals Gate Gourmet and LSG Sky Chefs at its hubs, including United's hub at Denver International Airport, where United currently holds a contract with LSG Sky Chefs.
On December 15, 2010, United Airlines CEO Jeff Smisek in an interview with Bloomberg commented and said "The company will continue to use Continental’s Chelsea inflight catering unit, while also using other suppliers". Chelsea Food Services will begin to cater to United Airlines flights at the carrier's largest hub at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport in the near future. As of 2012, Chelsea now caters all United flights out of Houston Intercontinental Airport, Newark International Airport, and Cleveland Hopkins International Airport.
- "02n-0278-c00313-vol25.pdf." Food and Drug Administration. May 13, 2004. Retrieved on October 6, 2010.
- Cho, Janet H. "Cleveland's Chelsea flight kitchen still busy catering airline meals out of Hopkins Airport (photo gallery)". Northeast Ohio Media Group LLC. Retrieved October 9, 2013.