Chelsea Grin performing at With Full Force Festival 2013
|Also known as||Ahaziah (2007–2008)|
|Origin||Salt Lake City, Utah|
|Labels||Artery, Statik Factory|
Chelsea Grin was originally formed by Alex Koehler and former band mates under the name Ahaziah. The band's first members were Alex Koehler, guitarist Chris Kilbourn, bassist Austin Marticorena and lead guitarist Michael Stafford. Marticorena introduced Andrew Carlston to Chelsea Grin and assisted in rewriting their songs as well as the creation of new material. This writing process lead to the tracks on their first release, a self-titled EP that was streamed and released online through iTunes, then released in Compact Disc format worldwide on July 27, 2008. Early on in the band's career, they released the songs "Crewcabanger" and "Lifeless" as singles, both of which were received well by listening audiences on Myspace.
The band later seeked out into obtaining a third guitarist position which led acquiring Dan Jones and followed into the writing of their full-length album Desolation of Eden (2010), following up this record was My Damnation (2011) before cutting into a 2012 EP entitled Evolve. The band's latest release is Ashes to Ashes (2014).
Signing to Artery Recordings (2008—2009)
Following the release and success of the self-titled EP in July 2008, the signing to Statik Factory Records, and a few small successful west coast tours, Austin Marticorena (bass) left the band for personal reasons. The band recruited Jake Harmond to temporarily fill in on bass while the band found a permanent member. Not long after this, the band ousted drummer Andrew Carlston, and Kory Shilling took his place, as well as Davis Pugh taking over the full-time bass player position. In April 2009, original drummer, Carlston returned to the band, replacing Shilling, and guitar player, and original member, Chris Kilbourn left the band to start his own record label, Matchless Records. Shortly thereafter, Jake Harmond once again filled in for the band, this time as substitute rhythm guitar player.
Soon after the band started to write the follow-up to the self-titled EP, they decided to take a new route and switch Davis Pugh from being bassist into being a third guitar player after David Flinn joined the band as bassist. The band then was added to a small, week long Canadian run in June 2009 with The Agonist, A Plea for Purging, Arsonists Get All the Girls and Statik Factory labelmates, Attila. After the successful tour, fill-in guitar player Jaek Harmond decided to become a full-time member, and the band joined into a contract with Artery Foundation representatives, Mike Milford and Eric Rushing whom then booked studio time for Chelsea Grin to record their debut full-length, Desolation of Eden at Lambesis Studios in San Marcos, California during August 2009. The album was produced by As I Lay Dying vocalist and studio founder, Tim Lambesis. One week prior to heading into the studio, guitar player Davis Pugh was kicked out of the band, and was replaced with ex-bandmate of Jake Harmond; Dan Jones, of another local Salt Lake City band, Hermione. Whilst in the studio the band inked a deal with Artery Recordings, a label that was imprinted between The Artery Foundation and Razor & Tie.
Desolation of Eden (2009—2010)
After recording their debut record, Desolation of Eden, the band embarked on their first full US tour featuring Dr. Acula, American Me, and Attila. Desolation of Eden was released on February 16, 2010 and reached number 21 on The Billboard Top Heatseekers Chart selling 1,500 copies its first week. With the success of their debut, the band was afterwards featured and praised in Alternative Press, Utah newspapers and many other magazines nationwide and worldwide.
In August 2010, while the band was in Richmond, Virginia on the Thrash and Burn tour, vocalist Alex Koehler received a serious injury to his jaw, having it fractured in three places, which required the band to drop off its final week. Koehler was rushed from the venue to receive surgery. Despite this, the band still carried out their two-week tour with Blind Witness and Attila on during September 2010, which had Koehler substituted with Adam Warren of Oceano.
One song that debuted on the band's self-titled EP; "Cheyne Stokes", was re-recorded for Desolation of Eden. The album has also peaked at 24 on the Billboard New Artists Chart. There are currently two music videos from the record, "Sonnet of the Wretched" and "Recreant". The music video for "Sonnet of the Wretched" was filmed on June 4, 2010 as the band headlined a sold-out show at The Boardwalk in Orangvale, CA, the video was then released on July 7, 2010. In 2010, while on tour with Iwrestledabearonce, Eyes Set to Kill, The Chariot and Vanna, the band recorded a music video for the single "Recreant" on a recording set held in Northern California, the video debuted January 13, 2011 on Metal Injection. Chelsea Grin confirmed Chris "Zeuss" Harris as the chosen producer for the recording of their follow-up album to My Damnation, and would enter the studio for its recording by January 13, 2011.
My Damnation (2010-2011)
Chelsea Grin finished writing and recording their second full-length album in June 2011, where the title for it was revealed as being My Damnation. It was released the following month on July 19, 2011. On April 17 Artery Recordings released the title track as the album's lead single off the album, having a music video produced for it weeks later. The song "All Hail The Fallen King" featuring Phil Bozeman, vocalist of Whitechapel, also premiered before the record's release.
Chelsea Grin toured in-support of the album with Emmure and Attila before being included on the All Stars Tour, which featured those same bands and many others such as After the Burial, Born of Osiris and Motionless in White.
Chelsea Grin played the entire Warped Tour 2012. At the same time of the Warped Tour announcement, plans for releasing a 5-song EP were confirmed. During December of the year, lead guitarist, Michael Stafford left the band. Born of Osiris (and former All Shall Perish) guitarist, Jason Richardson took up Stafford's position until further notice. Stafford explained that he could not bear touring any more along with other reasons for the explanation of the departure. Less than a week later, Richardson was kicked out from Born of Osiris, and then immediately switched his position as a substitute member for Chelsea Grin to a permanent member.
In the end of November 2012, Pablo Viveros joined Chelsea Grin on drums. During November and December 2012 Chelsea supported Motionless in White on their headline North American tour entitled "The Infamous Tour". The tour was a success with many dates being sold out. The band then did a short headline tour of North America in January. Chelsea Grin performed at the Soundwave Festival in Australia in February 2013, as well as two sidewave shows with Of Mice and Men and While She Sleeps.
Ashes to Ashes (2013—present)
During March 2013 the band headlined a tour with Attila, Betraying the Martyrs, Within the Ruins and Buried In Verona for their second major headlining tour, "The Sick Tour 2". The band supported Emmure across Europe during April and May 2013. This was the band's 3rd time in Europe. Chelsea Grin performed at several European festivals over the summer months, Including the open air festival with Parkway Drive. They also played the All Stars 2013 tour alongside Every Time I Die. In June 2013, Chelsea Grin released a full cover of the song "Right Now" by Korn, produced by one of the Chelsea Grin guitarist's Dan Jones. At the end of June, Chelsea grin were announced as the main support on the Brothers in arms tour Alongside The Amity Affliction, Stick To Your Guns and In Hearts Wake. The tour covering most capital cities of Australia will take place in late October 2013.
The band officially entered the studio late November 2013, two years since their last album. The new album will be entitled Ashes to Ashes and will be released in July 8, 2014 via Artery Recordings/Razor & Tie. A new single entitled Letters was released on December 17, 2013. The album was produced by Chelsea Grin and Diego Farias, guitarist from the band Volumes. The band also says : "This album has the same amount of material and Desolation of Eden, My Damnation and Evolve… COMBINED.". Frontman Alex Koehler states that the lyrical content on Ashes To Ashes is much more positive than on the other records. "It's more about standing up for yourselves and not giving a fuck about anyone else's opinions. Every song is going to be based on real life: alcoholism, drug abuse, violence and everyday bullshit forced down our throats". Koehler describes the album as "relentlessly heavy, with a touch of melody.". On May 12, 2014 a lyric video for Angels Shall Sin, Demons Shall Pray was released. Another single for the album was released June 3, 2014 titled "Playing With Fire"
Chelsea Grin will be also performing on Vans Warped Tour 2014
The music videos for "Letters" and "Clockwork" were released on June 30, 2014 and July 17, 2014, respectively.
Style and influences
Chelsea Grin's sound features a musical style known as deathcore. However, the band's album My Damnation featured some influences and elements of doom metal with their deathcore style with some tremolo picking and themes of Hell and damnation. Additionally, the band's Evolve EP featured strong elements of progressive metal and melody with its technical and melodic instrumentation as well as even adding some symphonic metal sounds in a few songs. The band cites The Black Dahlia Murder, Deftones, Suicide Silence, Whitechapel, Behemoth, Megadeth, Slayer, The Agony Scene, Bleeding Through, Atreyu and Bury Your Dead as their influences.
In an interview with Jake Harmond on the band's view on the deathcore label, he said "Everyone likes to flap their jaw and voice their own opinion how 'embarrassing' it is to be in a band that can be labeled 'deathcore,' but honestly we have never given a fuck." Chelsea Grin even self-identify as deathcore.
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|Desolation of Eden||
|Ashes to Ashes||
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- Music videos
|Year||Title||Director||From the album|
|2010||"Sonnet of the Wretched"||Stefan Anderson||Desolation of Eden|
|"My Damnation"||Ramon Boutviseth||My Damnation|
|2012||"The Foolish One"||James Sharrock|
|"Don't Ask Don't Tell"||Stefan Anderson||Evolve|
|2014||"Clockwork"||Ryan Sheehy||Ashes to Ashes|
- Chelsea Grin - Chelsea Grin Album Review Thrash Magazine
- "Chelsea Grin". Thesummitmusichall.com. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "No Care Ever Canada Tour Featuring Arsonists Get All the Girls, The Agonist, APFP, Chelsea Grin, Attila, Execute Sinner". Way Too Loud!. May 19, 2009.
- Thomas, Eric. "Chelsea Grin - Desolation of Eden". Teeth of the Divine. Retrieved 6 September 2011.
- Sciarretto, Amy. "Chelsea Grin Become Inaugural Act on Artery Recordings Imprint". Noisecreep. Retrieved 11 September 2011.
- "Chelsea Grin Hit Billboard". Ultimate Guitar. February 25, 2010.
- Chelsea Grin – Desolation Of Eden SMNnews.com
- "Chelsea Grin Frontman Breaks Jaw In Three Places". Gun Shy Assassin. August 10, 2010.
- "Oceano Vocalist To Tour With Chelsea Grin". Metal Underground. 26 August 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- Chelsea Grin - Desolation of Eden CD Album
- "Chelsea Grin's new album, "Desolation Of Eden," sold 1,500 copies in its first week, debuting at #24 on the Billboard New Artist chart.". Lambgoat. February 24, 2010.
- "Iwrestledabearonce, Eyes Set To Kill, Chelsea Grin, The Chariot and Vanna". Antimusic. August 17, 2010.
- "Chelsea Grin Posts New Music Video Online". Metal Underground. 14 January 2011.
- "Chelsea Grin Bio". MTV. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Chelsea Grin to Release 'My Damnation' on July 19th". Ryan's Rock Show. February 21, 2011.
- "Chelsea Grin Post Behind The Scenes Look At "My Damnation" Music Video". The PRP. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- Chelsea Grin 'My Damnation' Album Due In Summer SMN News
- "The All Stars Tour (Emmure, Born Of Osiris, Etc.) Officially Announced". Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Vans Warped Tour".
- "Chelsea Grin announces headline tour, new EP". Lambgoat. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- "Chelsea Grin Part Ways With Lead Guitarist Michael Stafford, Statement Issued.". Metal Underground. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "BORN OF OSIRIS Part Ways with Guitarist Jason Richardson; Richardson Joins CHELSEA GRIN BY NEFARIOUSREALM". Nefarious Realm. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Yancey, Bryne. "Chelsea Grin stream new song "Lilith"". Alternative Press. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- Chelsea Grin Officially Welcome New Drummer | Theprp.com – Metal, Hardcore And Rock News, Reviews And More
- [Alternative Press January]
- "Chelsea Grin Enter Death Match Hall of Fame". Loudwire.
- "Chelsea Grin - Of Deathcore and Damnation". Highwire Daze. August 9, 2011.
- "Chelsea Grin". Allmusic.
- "Chelsea Grin - Evolve Review". Chad Bowar. June 19, 2012.
- "Chelsea Grin - "Chelsea Grin" Album Review". Thrash Magazine. April 20, 2009.
- "Chelsea Grin - My Damnation". Consequence of Sound. July 25, 2011.
- "Chelsea Grin - My Damnation". Heavy Metal Now. November 19, 2011.
- "Chelsea Grin - Evolve EP". Revolver Magazine. June 18, 2012.
- "We Interviewed Chelsea Grin". Under the Gun Review. October 16, 2008.
- "Chelsea Grin is Artery's 1st Signing". Desert News. February 26, 2010.
- "Chelsea Grin interview". Lambgoat. January 7, 2012.
- "Chelsea Grin – Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Chelsea Grin – Chart History: Heatseekers Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Chelsea Grin – Chart History: Independent Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Chelsea Grin – Chart History: Top Rock Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Chelsea Grin – Chart History: Hard Rock Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chelsea Grin.|