Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
|Chelsea & Westminster Hospital|
|Chelsea & Westminster NHS Foundation Trust|
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, with St Stephen's Centre on the right, which is a rest of the previous hospital on the site, St Stephen's Hospital (1876-1989)
|Location||Chelsea, London, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Affiliated university||Imperial College London|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
Chelsea & Westminster Hospital is a hospital located in Chelsea, London that was founded in May 1993. It is operated by the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, which was created on 1 October 2006. The Trust's chief executive is Tony Bell and its chairman is professor Sir Thomas Hughes-Hallett.
Chelsea & Westminster Hospital brought together staff, services and equipment from five other hospitals in London:
- St Stephen's Hospital (1876-1989), the original hospital on the site
- St Mary Abbot's Hospital (1871-1992), in Marloes Road
- West London Hospital (1856-1993), in Hammersmith Road, known for its maternity services in the 1970s
- Westminster Hospital (1719-1992), in Horseferry Rd, and its medical school in Page Street
- Westminster Children's Hospital (1903-1995), on Vincent Square
The new hospital was designed by the architects Sheppard Robson. It displays many treasures from the old hospitals. Some of these are in the first floor hospital chapel, including a 16th-century painting by Veronese from the Westminster Hospital and stained glass windows from St Mary Abbots and the Westminster Children's Hospitals.
Notable people born at Chelsea & Westminster include:
- Jake John (b. 1993), son of Princess Saskia of Hanover
- Laurence Belcher (b. 1995), an English actor
- Gabriel George (b. 1996), son of Princess Saskia of Hanover
- Jude Wright (b. 1999), an English actor
- Leo Blair (b. 2000), son of former Prime Minister of the UK, Tony Blair
- Phoebe Forbes(b. 2001), daughter of former ballet dancer Darcey Bussell
- Erin Tate (b. 2003), daughter of actress Catherine Tate
- William Swift(b. 2003), son of Channel 4 TV host Sarah Beeny
- Zoe Forbes(b. 2004), daughter of former ballet dancer Darcey Bussell
- Charles Swift(b. 2006), son of Channel 4 TV host Sarah Beeny
- Albert Louis Philip Edward Windsor (b. 2007), son of Lord Nicholas Windsor and Lady Nicholas Windsor
- Peter Theodore Alphoge Rees-Mogg (b. 2007), son of Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg
- Rafferty Swift(b. 2008), son of Channel 4 TV host Sarah Beeny
- Rex Coltrane Kelly,(b. 2008), son of actress Natascha McElhone
- Leopold Ernest Augustus Guelph Windsor (b. 2009), son of Lord Nicholas Windsor and Lady Nicholas Windsor
- Laurie Swift(b. 2009), son of Channel 4 TV host Sarah Beeny
- Arthur Darcy, Viscount Wellesley (b. 2010), son of Arthur Wellesley, Earl of Mornington
- Lady Mae Madeleine Wellesley (b. 2010), daughter of Arthur Wellesley, Earl of Mornington
- Phoenix Binzer (b. 2010), son of model Jasmine Lennard
- Stephen Walter Daw (b. 1955), son of Walter and Edith Daw
Chelsea & Westminster maintains a range of medical and surgical acute services, as well as outpatient facilities and a 24hour Accident and Emergency department. In addition to these services, which are primarily aimed at local residents and visitors, the hospital is a specialist tertiary referral centre for many services, including: HIV and Genitourinary Medicine, Burns and Bariatric Surgery.
The hospital provides a number of services which include a specialist hand surgery/management unit sometimes known as HMU.
HIV / GUM
The hospital’s HIV/GUM Clinical Directorate was established in April 1991, and is today the largest specialist HIV unit in Europe, caring for more than 5,000  HIV patients, and enjoys a worldwide reputation as a centre of excellence in both the care of HIV-positive patients and a wide range of associated clinical research. Its director, Professor Brian Gazzard, is one of the world's leading authorities on HIV, founded the British HIV Association, serves as Chairman of the British HIV Guidelines Writing Committee, and is a member of both the Scientific Committee of the World AIDS Congress and of the IAS USA Guidelines Committee.
In 1984, Westminster Hospital Medical School merged with the Charing Cross Hospital Medical School to form Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School. This was part of a series of mergers of London medical schools in the early 1980s, foreshadowing a larger series in the late 1990s, which brought all the institutes together into five large schools.
In 1997, as part of the second wave, CXWMS merged with Imperial College, London (and its medical department, St Mary's Hospital Medical School), the National Heart and Lung Institute, and the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, to form Imperial College School of Medicine. Chelsea & Westminster Hospital maintains strong ties with Imperial College School of Medicine and is a teaching hospital for students undergoing clinical attachments in various specialties.
- "Foundation Trust". Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Archived from the original on 2008-02-11. Retrieved 2009-09-14.
- "Chelsea and Westminster Hospital appoints new Chair". Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. 17 December 2013.
- "About Chelsea and Westminster Hospital". Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Archived from the original on 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2009-09-14.
- Lost hospitals of London: St Stephen's Hospital Linked 2013-07-29
- Lost hospitals of London: St Mary Abbot's Hospital Linked 2013-07-29
- Lost hospitals of London: West London Hospital Linked 2013-07-29
- Lost hospitals of London: Westminster Hospital Linked 2013-07-29
- Lost hospitals of London: Westminster Children's Hospital Linked 2013-07-29
- "Our History, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital website". Archived from the original on 2007-10-22. Retrieved 2007-11-23.
- Cherie Blair had her son Leo last May, (..) on the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
- McElhone gave birth to her third child at London's Chelsea and Westminister Hospital
- Chelsea and Westminster HIV Cohort (PDF format)
- Unique partnership brings new hope for vaccine to combat HIV
- Why choose our HIV services?
- Interview with the Professor
- Information about HIV and sexual health
- New partnership to accelerate AIDS vaccine testing, equip developing countries for trials
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
- Chelsea and Westminster Health Charity - owner and curator of the visual art, installation art and sculpture displayed at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
- NHS Care Records Service
- Cranio-Orbito-Palpebral service, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
- International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI)
- St Stephen's AIDS Trust Clinical Trials Unit
- You Choose - Chelsea & Westminster HIV information site for gay men