Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
|Chelsea and Westminster Hospital|
|Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust|
|Location||Chelsea, London, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Affiliated university||Imperial College London|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital is a public hospital located on Fulham Road, in the Chelsea area of London, England. It is managed by the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, and opened in May 1993.
The Chelsea and Westminster Hospital was opened on the site once occupied by St Stephen's Hospital, and brought together staff, services and equipment from five London hospitals:
- The Westminster Hospital in Horseferry Road (previously situated opposite Westminster Abbey) and its medical school in Page Street
- Westminster Children's Hospital, originally in Vincent Square, then later amalgamated with the Westminster
- West London Hospital, opened in 1860 and known from the early 1970s for its maternity services
- St Mary Abbot's Hospital, an infirmary occupying the site of what had been the Kensington work house
- St Stephen's Hospital
The new hospital was designed by the architects Sheppard Robson. It displays many treasures from the old hospitals. Some of these are in the first floor Hospital Chapel, including a 16th-century painting by Veronese from the Westminster Hospital and stained glass windows from Westminster, St Mary Abbots and the Westminster Children's Hospitals.
Chelsea and Westminster maintains a range of medical and surgical acute services, as well as outpatient facilities and a 24 hour Accident and Emergency department. In addition to these services, which are primarily aimed at local residents and visitors, the hospital is a specialist tertiary referral centre for a number of services including HIV and Genitourinary Medicine, Burns and Bariatric Surgery.
Hand Trauma 
The hospital provides a number of services which include a specialist hand surgery/management unit sometimes known as HMU.
HIV / GUM 
The hospital’s HIV/GUM Clinical Directorate was established in April 1991, and is today the largest specialist HIV unit in Europe, caring for more than 5,000  HIV patients, and enjoys a worldwide reputation as a centre of excellence in both the care of HIV-positive patients and a wide range of associated clinical research. Its director, Professor Brian Gazzard, is one of the world's leading authorities on HIV, founded the British HIV Association, serves as Chairman of the British HIV Guidelines Writing Committee, and is a member of both the Scientific Committee of the World AIDS Congress and of the IAS USA Guidelines Committee.
In 1984, Westminster Hospital Medical School merged with the Charing Cross Hospital Medical School to form Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School. This was part of a series of mergers of London medical schools in the early 1980s, foreshadowing a larger series in the late 1990s, which brought all the institutes together into five large schools. In 1997, as part of the second wave, CXWMS merged with Imperial College, London (and its medical department, St Mary's Hospital Medical School), the National Heart and Lung Institute, and the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, to form Imperial College School of Medicine
Chelsea & Westminster Hospital maintains strong ties with Imperial College School of Medicine and is a teaching hospital for students undergoing clinical attachments in various specialties.
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust was formed on 1 October 2006. It is based at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and also manages a number of sexual health clinics at 56 Dean Street, the West London Centre for Sexual Health at Charing Cross Hospital, and the St Stephen's Centre. The Trust's Chief Executive is Tony Bell and its Chairman is Professor Sir Christopher Edwards.
- "About Us". Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "Our History, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital website". Archived from the original on 2007-10-22. Retrieved 2007-11-23.
- Chelsea and Westminster HIV Cohort (PDF format)
- Unique partnership brings new hope for vaccine to combat HIV
- Why choose our HIV services?
- Interview with the Professor
- Information about HIV and sexual health
- New partnership to accelerate AIDS vaccine testing, equip developing countries for trials
- "Foundation Trust". Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Archived from the original on 2008-02-11. Retrieved 2009-09-14.
- "About Chelsea and Westminster Hospital". Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Archived from the original on 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2009-09-14.
- "Board of Directors". Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
- Chelsea and Westminster Health Charity - owner and curator of the visual art, installation art and sculpture displayed at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
- NHS Care Records Service
- Cranio-Orbito-Palpebral service, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
- International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI)
- St Stephen's AIDS Trust Clinical Trials Unit
- You Choose - Chelsea & Westminster HIV information site for gay men