|Birth name||Kim Jong-dae|
September 21, 1992 |
Siheung, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea
|Labels||S.M. Entertainment (South Korea)
Avex Trax (Japan)
|Associated acts||S.M. Entertainment
S.M. The Ballad
|Website||EXO's official Korean website
EXO-M's official Korean website
|Revised Romanization||Gim Jongdae|
Kim Jong-dae (born September 21, 1992), better known by his stage name Chen, is a South Korean singer active in the Chinese music industry. He is best known as the main vocalists of the Mandopop group EXO-M, and main vocalist of a subgroup of the Chinese-South Korean boy band EXO. He is currently signed to S.M. Entertainment in South Korea and Avex Trax in Japan.
Life and career
1992–2011: Early life and career beginnings
Chen was born Kim Jong-dae on September 21, 1992 in South Korea. Chen has one older brother named Kim Jong-deok. At a young age, he had already aspired to be a singer. His parents had disapproved of his decision to become a singer at first, but once they heard that it was S.M. Entertainment who wanted to scout Chen, they became supportive of his decision. Before he was scouted by S.M. agents and auditioned for S.M. Entertainment, he was auditioning for a music conservatory. In 2011, he was cast into S.M. Entertainment through the company's annual casting system, the S.M. Casting System, and received consistent training in areas of singing, dancing, acting, and language. Within a few months, Chen was cast into EXO last, together with fellow main vocalist Baekhyun. He was then put into the group's Mandopop subgroup, EXO-M.
In December 2011, S.M. Entertainment began introducing the twelve members of EXO through a series of teaser trailers that were being sporadically released from December 2011 to February 2012. Chen was the fourth member introduced, on December 29, 2011. Along with EXO-M members Lu Han, Tao, and EXO-K's Kai, Chen had his first televised performance at SBS's Gayo Daejun event on December 29.
EXO-M and their K-pop subgroup, EXO-K, released their prologue single "What Is Love", on January 30, 2012. The group released their second prologue single "History" on March 9. They held their first pre-debut showcase in Seoul's Olympic Stadium on March 31, 2012, one hundred days after EXO debuted their first trailer on December 21, 2011. Approximately 3,000 fans from 8,000 applicants were selected to attend the showcase. The group held their second showcase and first press conference in the Great Hall of the University of International Business and Economics in Beijing, China on April 1.
The group's official debut single "Mama" was released on April 8, followed by an EP, Mama, on April 9. On April 8, EXO-M made their debut performance in China at the 12th Yinyue Fengyun Bang Awards, performing "Mama.'
Chen was the last EXO member scouted by S.M. Entertainment; he was scouted and auditioned for S.M. through the S.M. Casting System in early 2011, at age 18.
Chen was the fourth member to be formally introduced to the public, on December 29, 2011. Along with Lu Han, Tao, and Exo-K's Kai, Chen had his first televised performance at the SBS Gayo Daejun event on December 29, 2011.
Chen sang an OST for his fellow member D.O.'s drama "It's Okay, It's Love", called Best Luck.
S.M. The Ballad
|2012-2014||HBS||Happy Camp||Himself||Aired on 21 July 2012, 6 July 2013, and 5 July 2014|
|2013||SBS||Running Man (TV series)||As Special Guest, appearing on episodes 171 and 172.|
|2013-2014||MBC Every 1||EXO's Showtime|
For Chen's discography with EXO, see EXO discography.
As lead artist
|2014||"Best Luck"||It's Okay, That's Love OST Part 1||Fellow member of EXO, D.O, starred in this drama as well.|
As featured artist
|2012||"Dear My Family"||I AM. OST||BoA, Kangta, Yunho, Changmin,
Yesung, Taeyeon, Jonghyun, Luna,
Luhan, Baekhyun, D.O.
- EXO-M (2012-04-11). 韩国组合EXO-M做客《明星在线》 [Korea group EXO-M guests in Star On Line] (in Mandarin Chinese). Sohu.com. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "EXO to debut four members at ‘2011 SBS Gayo Daejun’". Allkpop. 2011-12-28. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "The Prologue Single II 'History' will be released on the 9th". S.M. Entertainment via Facebook. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- EXO (2012-04-06). EXO_SHOWCASE HD Full version Part 2_ENG (in Korean and Mandarin Chinese). S.M. Entertainment via YouTube. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- "EXO debuts in front of 3000 fans". Korea.net. 2012-04-01. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "S.M.'s new group EXO first press conference in China". Sohu.com (in Chinese). 2012-04-01. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "The First Mini Album Title Song ‘MAMA’ of EXO-K and EXO-M will be Released Worldwide on the 8th at 00:00!". Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- EXO to officially debut on April 9th with “MAMA”
- "EXO's "Mama" released". allkpop.com. April 7, 2012. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- ["http://www.facebook.com/notes/smtown/exo-k-and-exo-m-will-make-their-debut-on-april-8th-both-in-korea-and-china-/361970087179165" "EXO to debut on April 8, 2012"]. facebook.com/smtown. April 3, 2012. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- "More details including tracklist and participating artists for SM The Ballad's 2nd album 'Breath' revealed". allkpop. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Details and image released for EXO's new show 'EXO 90:2014'". Allkpop. July 26, 2014. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- "EXO's Chen lends his charming voice for 'It's Okay, That's Love' OST". Allkpop. July 22, 2014. Retrieved July 24, 2014.
- EXO-M's official website
- EXO-M's official Facebook
- EXO's official Korean website
- EXO's official Japanese website
- EXO-M's Weibo