|Region of origin||China|
|Related names||Zheng, Ching|
Cheng can be a transcription of one of several Chinese surnames. Since the syllable Cheng represents different sounds in Hanyu pinyin and the Wade-Giles systems of Chinese romanization, some ambiguity will exist as to which sound is represented by the letters "Cheng" if the romanisation and tone is not known. Also within each system of romanisation, each syllable can represent one of several different characters, as with any Chinese syllable.
In the pinyin system of romanization (usually used in China), the most common surnames romanized as Cheng are 程 and 成.
Further confusion arises because Wade-Giles often appears without the required apostrophes (which indicates aspiration), and thus some Wade-Giles names which are properly romanized Ch'eng (such as 程 pinyin Chéng) will appear as Cheng.
Historical Figure 程
- Cheng Bing, official of Eastern Wu
- Cheng Pu, general of Sun Quan during the Three Kingdoms
- Cheng Yu, Official of Warlord Cao Cao in the late Han Dynasty
Notable people surnamed 程
- Cheng Hong, Spouse of Chinese Premier Li Keqiang, an English professor at the Capital University of Economics and Business
- Brian Ching, an American-born Chinese football player
- Ch'eng Mao-yün, composer
- Ching Cheong, a Chinese journalist with Singapore's The Straits Times, imprisoned for five years on charges of espionage
- François Cheng, a French writer, poet and calligrapher
- Henry Thia, Singaporean actor and comedian
- Willard Cheng - ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs Malacañang Correspondent
- Woeser (Han name Cheng Wensa [程文萨]), a Tibetan poet and essayist
- John S. Chen [程守宗], CEO of Blackberry
Notable people surnamed 成
Notable people surnamed 鄭
- See Zheng (surname)
- Ren-Chang Ching (1898-1986), a botanist specialist of pteridophytes
|This surname-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|