Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding
|Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding|
The facility entrance
Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding, or simply Chengdu Panda Base, is a non-profit research and breeding facility for giant pandas and other rare animals. It is located in Chengdu, Sichuan, People's Republic of China.
Chengdu Panda Base was founded in 1987. It started with 6 giant pandas that were rescued from the wild. By 2008, it had 124 panda births, and the captive panda population has grown to 83.
Its stated goal is to "be a world-class research facility, conservation education center, and international educational tourism destination."
Chengdu Panda Base has partnered with many organizations in improving ways to conserve giant pandas. For example, its partnership with Zoo Atlanta helped the zoo secure the loan of 2 giant pandas. To date, these 2 giant pandas, Yang Yang and Lun Lun, have produced five off-spring: Mei Lan in 2006, Xi Lan in 2008, Po born on November 3, 2010 and Mei Lun and Mei Huan in 2013.
Other research partners include:
- Adventure World in Shirahama, Wakayama, Japan
- East Bay Zoological Society, Oakland, California, USA
- Liverpool University, UK
- National Institute of Health/National Cancer Institution, USA
- National Zoological Park, Washington, D.C., USA
- Nihon University, Tokyo, Japan
- North of England Zoological Society, UK
- The Oakland China Wildlife Preservation Foundation, California, USA
- San Diego Zoo, California, USA
- University of Japan
- Edinburgh Zoo, Scotland
Notes and references
- "About Chengdu Panda Base".
- "Zoo Atlanta's Conservation Education Initiative in China".
- "New Giant Panda cub born at Zoo Atlanta". Zoo Atlanta.
- "Zoo Atlanta's Giant Panda Cub Is Named Xi Lan". Zoo Atlanta. December 8, 2008.
- "2010's only US giant panda cub born in Atlanta zoo". CNN. 2010-11-03.
- "Zoo Atlanta and Dreamworks Animation Announce Panda Cub’s New Name". Zoo Atlanta. February 15, 2011.
- "Research partners".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding.|