Chennai Egmore – Mangalore Central Express
|Chennai Egmore – Mangalore Central Express|
|Service type||Express rail|
|Locale||Tamil Nadu, Kerala & Karnataka|
|First service||July 1, 2003|
|Current operator(s)||Southern Railway zone|
|Start||Chennai Egmore (MS)|
|End||Mangalore Central (MAQ)|
|Distance travelled||983 km (611 mi)|
|Average journey time||23 Hours 35 Minutes|
|Train number(s)||16859 / 16860|
|Line used||Chord line (MS – TPJ)
Tiruchirappalli-Erode line (TPJ – ED)
Jolarpettai–Shoranur line (ED – SRR)
Shoranur–Mangalore section (SRR – MAQ)
|Class(es)||1A-cum-2A, 3A, SL, 2S, SLR and UR / GS|
|Seating arrangements||Open coach
|Sleeping arrangements||Couchette car|
|Observation facilities||Windows in all carriages|
|Baggage facilities||Overhead racks
MS–TPJ: WAP4 (RPM / GOC);
One AC 2-Tier (HA1)
Two AC 3-Tier (3A)
Ten II SL
Three Second seating (2S)
Three UR / GS
|Track gauge||1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Electrification||25 kV AC, 50 Hz (MS–TPJ)|
|Operating speed||42 kilometres per hour (26 mph)|
|Track owner(s)||Southern Railway zone|
|Timetable number(s)||21 / 21A / 86 / 86A|
This train was introduced during the 2003–2004 Railway Budget as a new daily train between Chennai Egmore and Erode via Tiruchirappalli Junction in Tamil Nadu, India. Later in the 2005–2006 Railway Budget, the train (No.6607 / 6608) was extended up to Coimbatore, citing large number of Melmaruvathur bound pilgrims, leaving the people of Karur in despair, who were largely benefitted of this train fearing decrease in reservation quotas. The train was again extended to Mangalore in 2007, a move which forced the authorities to cancel the Tiruchirapalli–Mangalore Express (No.6867 / 6868), with revised timings. The number of train was changed from the initial 6607 / 6608 to 6107 / 6108, and from 6107 / 6108 to 16107 / 16108 since December 2010 onwards as a part of train management system over the entire Indian Railways network. Again, the number of the train was changed to the present 16859 / 16860, since 1 September 2013.
Some of the prominent stoppages include Tambaram, Melmaruvathur, Viluppuram, Vriddhachalam, Tiruchi, Karur, Erode, Coimbatore, Palakkad, Shoranur, Kozhikode, Mahe, Kannur and Kasaragod. This daily train departs Chennai Egmore as 16859 at 22:15 hours, arrives Tiruchirappalli Junction the next morning at 4:50 hours, reverses the loco and departs at 5:00 hours and finally arrives Mangalore Central at 21:50 hours. On the return journey, the train departs Mangalore Central as 16860 at 6:50 hours, arrives Tiruchirappalli Junction at 21:50 hours, reverses the loco and departs at 22:00 hours and finally arrives Chennai Egmore, the next morning at 5:05 hours.[b]
- The coach composition is subject to change.
- The timings are in Indian Standard Time.
- "Trains at a Glance July 2013 - June 2014". Indian Railways. Railway Board. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "50 new trains to introduced, increase frequency of 13". The Times of India (New Delhi). 26 February 2013. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Speech: Railway Budget 2005-06". Ministry of Railways (India). Press Information Bureau. 26 February 2005. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Karur public resent move to extend train up to Mangalore". The Hindu (Karur). 2 January 2007. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Train services to be extended". The Hindu (Tiruchi). 2 January 2007. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Train service between Karur, Chennai sought". The Hindu (Karur). 7 May 2010. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Train timings revised". The Hindu (Coimbatore). 2 July 2008. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Railways to Switch to ‘Five’ – Digit System for Numbering all its Passenger Carrying Trains from December 2010". Press Information Bureau. 23 September 2010. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Railways migrate to 5-digit number scheme to monitor trains". The Times of India. 20 December 2010. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Southern railway plans more trains from Chennai". The New Indian Express (Chennai). 2 July 2013. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Train Time Table for MS-MAQ (Via. Chord Line)" (PDF). Indian Railways. p. 2. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Train Time Table for MS-MAQ (Via. Other lines)" (PDF). Indian Railways. p. 3. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Train Time Table for MAQ-MS (Via. Other lines)" (PDF). Indian Railways. p. 3. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Train Time Table for MAQ-MS (Via. Chord Line)" (PDF). Indian Railways. p. 1. Retrieved 4 March 2014.