Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority
The Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA), formerly known as Madras Metropolitan Development Authority (MMDA) is the nodal planning agency within the Chennai Metropolitan Area. It is headquartered at Thaalamuthu Natarajan Building at Egmore.
The MMDA (CMDA) was constituted as an ad hoc body in 1972 under the Tamil Nadu Town and Country Planning Act 1971. It was formed as the nodal Town planning authority for the city of Madras (now Chennai) and its suburbs and became a statutory body in 1974. It is headed by minister for housing as its chairman .
CHENNAI METROPOLITAN AREA - PROFILE
Chennai, the capital City of Tamil Nadu is the fourth largest Metropolitan City in India. The Chennai Metropolitan Area (CMA) comprises the city of Chennai, 16 Municipalities, 20 Town Panchayats and 214 Village Panchayats in 10 Panchayat Unions. The extent of CMA is 1189 km2. The setting of Chennai is presented in the Figure. The CMA falls in three Districts of the Tamil Nadu State viz. Chennai District,part of Thiruvallur District, and part of Kancheepuram District. The extent of the Chennai District (covered in Chennai Municipal Corporation area) is 176 km2 and comprises 55 revenue villages in five Taluks [viz. (i) Fort-Tondiarpet Taluk, (ii) Perambur-Purasawalkam Taluk, (iii) Egmore-Nungambakkam Taluk, (iv) Mambalam-Guindy Taluk and (v) Mylapore-Triplicane Taluk]. In Thiruvallur District out of total district area of 3427 km2, 637 km2. in Ambattur, Thiruvallur, Ponneri and Poonamallee taluks fall in CMA. In Kancheepuram Districtout of 4433 km2, 376 km2 in Tambaram, Sriperumbudur and Chengalpattu Taluks fall in the Metropolitan area. Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA) was constituted as an ad-hoc body in 1972 and become statutory body in 1974 vide the Tamil Nadu Town and Country Planning Act 1971. It was established under the sub-section 1 of the section 9 –A (2) of the Act and consisting of the following members:
1. Hon’ble Minister for Housing and Urban Development Chairman
2. Vice- Chairman, CMDA Vice Chairman
3. Member-Secretary, CMDA Member
4. Secretary to Government H&UD Member
5. Secretary to Government, Finance Dept. Member
6. Secretary to Government, Industries Dept. Member
7. Secretary to Government, Transport Dept. Member
8. Commissioner, Corporation of Chennai Member
9. Managing Director CMWSS Board Member
10. Director, Town & Country Planning Member
11. Chief Urban Planner, CMDA Member
12. Chief Engineer, Highways & Rural Works Department Member
13. Chief Architect to Government Member
14. Joint Director, Town & Country Planning Member
15. Chairman, Tamil Nadu Housing Board Member
16. Chairman Tamil Nadu Slum Clearance Board Member
17. Member of the State Legislative Assembly 2 Members
18. Representatives of Local Bodies in CMA 4 Members
19. Member-Secretary Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board Special Invitee
The functions of the Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority are :
i. To carry out a survey of the Chennai Metropolitan planning area and prepare reports on the surveys so carried out.
ii. To prepare a Master Plan or Detailed Development Plan or New Town development Plan as the case may be for the Chennai Metropolitan planning Area.
iii. To prepare an existing land use map and such other maps as may be necessary for the purpose of preparing any development plan.
iv. To cause to be carried out such works as are contemplated in any development plan.
v. To designate the whole of Chennai Metropolitan planning area or any part thereof with in its jurisdiction as a new town and to perform the following function viz.
a. To prepare a New Town development plan for the area concerned, and
b. To secure the laying out and development of the new town in accordance with the New Town development plan.
vi. To perform such other functions as may be entrusted to it by the Government.
a. The Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority may by order, entrust to any local authority or other Authority as may be specified in such order, the work of execution any development plan prepared by it.
b. The Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority may by order, authorize any local authority or other authority as may be specified in such order, to exercise any of the power vested in by or under the Town and Country Planning Act -1971 and may in like manner with draw such authority and the exercise of any power delegated in this behalf shall be subject to such restrictions and conditions as may be specified in such order.
The vision of Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority is to provide people friendly administration in the process of ensuring better quality of life in Chennai Metropolitan Area through environmentally sustainable, economically progressive, technologically innovative management policies and programs.
3 Retrieved 28 October 2013
Some of the notable projects undertaken by the CMDA include:
- Chennai Mofussil bus terminus, Koyambedu
- Wholesale vegetable market, Koyambedu
- Chennai Mass Rapid Transit System
- Outer ring road