CheongShim International Academy
|CheongShim International Academy|
|Motto||ACG (Altruistic Mind, Creative Knowledge, Global Leadership)|
|Established||September 31st, 2006|
|Students||approx. 600 |
|Location||Gapyeong-Gun, Sorak-Myeon, Songsan-ri, 102 Beonji,
Gapyeong, Gyeonggi Province, Republic of Korea
Cheongshim International Academy (Korean: 청심국제중고등학교, Hanja: 淸心國際中高等學敎, abbreviated as CSIA), is a private school in South Korea. The school is located in Gapyeong County, Gyeonggi Province. CSIA is classified as a special purposes high school (특수목적고등학교) by the government of South Korea.
CSIA currently consists of a middle school and a high school There are three buildings: the school, a dormitory for girls, and a dormitory for boys. The middle and high school both study at the same school. There are about a hundred students in each grade, so there are about six hundred students in total. Each school annually accepts about a hundred students and a similar number annually graduates. The high school is divided into an international and a domestic division and the classes are specialized for each department.
According to the CheongShim International School Official Website, the plans for the school began to be formulated on July, 2002  by the Unification Church. The Foundation (engineering) plans were approved on June 2003. While the original name for the school was to CheongShim Middle and High School (청심중고등학교), the name was changed its current name on September, 2005. The Groundbreaking ceremony for the establishment of the school was held on the November of 2004. The school itself finished its construction process in 2005  and the completion of the building was commemorated with a ceremony on June, 2005. The school received its certificate of incorporation on the August of 2005 
Originally, the school planned to admit three hundred members each. It was found with the purpose that all subjects except Korean and History of Korea would be taught in English. There were also specialized courses such as TOEFL and SAT classes to be offered to people who wish to study abroad in the future. The school also stated that it had plans to create a research institute for middle school studies in order to increase the expertise of its teachers. Although the school was technically labeled as a special-purposes high school, the admission process followed the procedure of a foreign language high school for the first year 
The admission process for the first year of students began on November, 2005. The requests for admissions and the documents were accepted from the beginning to the middle of November. The admissions tests were given around the second half of November and the selections were announced at the end of November. The first CheongShim Initiation ceremony was held on March, 2006, with 99 middle school students and 100 high school students each. The first principal of CSIA, Lee Jong-Hyo was also appointed on the March of 2006.
There are a total of 600 students in the school. There are a total of 47 teachers as of 2008, of which twelve are non-Korean teachers. Of the teachers, 17% of the teachers are non-Korean teachers and 56% of the teachers have MD-PhD degrees. The current principal is Park Hyun-Soo.
Currently, all classes besides Korean and Korean history are taught in English. All classes besides Korean and Korean history use American textbooks or textbooks chosen by the teachers. The Educational Philosophy follows the ACG (Altruistic Mind, Creative Knowledge, Global Leadership) motto of the school. The educational style has been claimed to broaden students' viewpoints and improve students' thinking. There are also optional classes after school hours.
CheongShim International Academy also has a relatively high admission rate for the top-ranked colleges. In 2013, about 50% of the International Department’s graduates went into the top 30 colleges around the world such as: the University of Oxford, Yale University, Princeton University, and the University of Tokyo. About 53% of the Domestic Department was accepted by the top three ranked universities in Korea, SKY. People who were not included in these statistics were also accepted into ‘good colleges’ in Korea. Of the 100 graduates, around 24 students have also received scholarships from their respective universities.
The ratio of the accepted students to applied students in the middle school in 2008 was 22.6:1. In 2009, the ratio was 17.9:1. And in 2010, the ratio was 17.56:1. This had led some news organizations such as Veritas Alpha and Yonhap News to argue that the competition rate has been steadily decreasing.
CheongShim International Academy has also hosted and created several competitions over the years, including: ACG History Tournament, ACG Math Tournament, Youth Peace Camp, and CheongShim International Academy Model United Nations (CSIAMUN)  The CheongShim Foundation is currently planning to create an elementary school for students who 'had prior experience abroad.' It had submitted the plan to the Gapyeong Educational Ministry but the plan has not been approved as of March 2013.
Generally, there are five steps to the admission process: online application, physical application, a self-introduction letter, self-improvement plans, and an interview. CheongShim Middle School is the only school that accepts applicants from all of Korea 
The middle school application process is divided into two general parts. In the first part, applications must submit their student records, a letter of self-introduction, and self-improvements plans worth 60 points, 25 points, and 65 points respectively. The topics on the applications are similar, but change every year. Middle school applicants must write the plans in the school under a time limit. The high school application process is divided into two different parts. In the first step, the applications are separated based on their English grades for their second and third year (four terms) in middle school. This part is worth 160 points. The second part is admitting the same applications, and the English grades are also included in this part. The average English grade is 1.3 class. The second part worth 40 points. There are no timed application writings for high school.
The self-improvement plans can be further subdivided into three different parts: self-studying plans, reading, and volunteering history. The self-studying plans is the most considered portion. Some news such as DongA has claimed that experience is the most valued element and that teachers' opinions are also highly valued.
CheongShim International Academy has been frequently referred to as a 'school for nobility.'  People have argued that the lack of admissions involving students in the 'social consideration' category and the matching admissions in the 'social considerations without economic problems' category were indications that CheongShim was a school for nobility. Critics have also noted alleged manipulations and inadequate management of the admission process.
- "입학 FRQ". CHEONGSHIM INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- 큰 꿈 꾼다면 국제中 두드려라! [If you dream big, try international middle schools] (in Korean). DongA. March 17, 2009. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- 특수목적고등학교 [Special Purposes High School] (in Korean). NAVER. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "청심국제중고등학교[CheongShim International Academy,淸心國濟中高等學校]" (in Korean). Doosan Corporation. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- 특성화교육 [Special Purpose Education] (in Korean). CHEONGSHIM INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- [청심국제고] 해외 명문대 진학의 ‘다크호스’ [[CheongSHim International High School] the 'dark horse of going to international universities] (in Korean). veritas-a. May 13, 2009. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- 청심국제중고 재단, '귀족 초등학교' 만드나 [The CheongShim Foundation, is it making a 'noble elementary school?'] (in Korean). OhmyNews. March 14, 2013. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- "[사설]청심국제중 '사배자 입학' 비리는 없는지...". KYEONGGI.com. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- 여야 "국제중 입학비리 강력처벌" 한목소리 [Harsh Punishment called for "Allowances for International Middle School Admissions"] (in Korean). MONEYTODAY. March 29, 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- 연혁 [School History] (in Korean). CHEONGSHIM INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- 청심국제중•고교 통일교에서 세워…통대협，성도들 주의당부 [CheongShim International Middle and High School established by the Unification Church... Warnings] (in Korean). 국민일보. February 21, 2006. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- 가평에 국제관계 전문인력 양성 중•고교 개교 [Opening Schools concerning International Workforce in Gapyeong] (in Korean). YTN. October 5, 2005. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- "[Briefing] 이젠 '특목 中' 열풍" [Now 'Special Purposes Middle School' Popular Wave] (in Korean). 한국경제. March 13, 2006. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- 2007학년 국제중 입시 올 가이드 [Guide to get into International Middle Schools in 2007] (in Korean). 서울신문. April 13, 2007. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- 교사진 [Teachers List] (in Korean). CHEONGSHIM INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY". Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- 학교장 인사말 [Introduction by the Principal] (in Korean). CHEONGSHIM INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- 한국시, 영어·한문으로 바꾸는 것 재밌어요 [Korean Poetry, it's fun to change them to English and hanja] (in Korean). Jcube Interactive. May 22, 2013. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- 청심국제고, 해외대학 지원자 중 50% 세계 30위권 대학 최종합격 [In CheongShim International Academy, 50% of international applicants got accepted into the top 30 universities] (in Korean). Yonhap News. April 22, 2013. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- 대원 영훈 청심국제중학교 외고입시 개편 후폭풍… 경쟁률 떨어져 [Daewon, YongHoon, CheongShim International Middle School after the popularity wave... Competition rate lowered] (in Korean). Veritas Alpha. December 11, 2009. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- 청심국제중학교 합격한 발산초등학교 이승호군 [Lee Seung-Ho from Balsan Elementary School, who got accepted into CheongShim International Academy] (in Korean). 주내일신문. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- 국제중 경쟁률 소폭 하락 [The competition rate of International Middle School significantly lowered] (in Korean). YonhapNews. November 18, 2011. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- "제4회 청심 ACG 역사대회 본선 현장". NEWSIS.COM. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "2013 청심ACG수학대회 6월 개최". Naeil신문. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "청심국제중고, '제2회 유스피스 캠프' 개최해". SportsWord. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "청심국제중고, '제5회 청심국제모의유엔' 개최". ㈜아시아뉴스통신. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- 박, 주성 (July 16, 2013). 학생들의 지식나눔 프로젝트 '오픈놀리지' 정식 오픈 [Students' knowledge-sharing project 'Openowledge' officially open] (in Korean). NEWSIS.COM. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- 청심국제중고, 전국 10대 도시 찾아가는 입학설명회 개최 [CheongShim International Academy, hold introduction presentations that the 10 biggest cities in Korea go to] (in Korean). Sports World. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- 국제고ㆍ자사고, 이달말부터 원서접수 [International High Schools, Self-Study high schools, finish accepting applications this month] (in Korean). Yonhap News. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- [신나는 공부]30일 청심국제중 원서접수… 경쟁력 있는 학습계획서 작성법 [[Fun Studying] 30 days of CheongShim International Academy applications... how to make a competitive studying plan] (in Korean). DongA. Retrieved September 16, 2013.