Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community of the Trinidad Rancheria
|154 enrolled tribal members,
73 rancheria population (2011)
|Regions with significant populations|
|United States ( California)|
|English, traditionally Chetco, Hupa, Karuk, Tolowa, Wiyot, and Yurok|
|Related ethnic groups|
The Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community is headquartered in Trinidad, California. In 1961, the tribe organized under the Articles of Association. In June 2008, a new Constitution was ratified, replaced the Articles of Association. The tribe is governed by a democratically elected five-person community council. The current tribal administration is as follows.
- Chairman: Garth Sundberg
- Vice Chairman: Fred Lamberson III
- Secretary / Treasurer: Lillian Strong
- Council Member Seat #1: Robert Hemsted
- Council Member Seat #2: Brianne Bates
The Trinidad Rancheria (ranchería occupying three parcels of land with a total area of over 80 acres. in Humboldt County. It was established in 1906 to house homeless local California Indians. An additional 60 acres of land was purchased for the rancheria in 1908. The tribe's lands are within Yurok ancestral territory.) is a federally recognized
The Tsurai Health Center serves residents of the rancheria. Health problems are posed by dioxin used by US Forest Service and timber companies to retard deciduous tree growth in the local forested areas.
The Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community owns and operates the Cher-Ae Heights Casino, Sunrise Deli, Seascape Restaurant, Sunset Restaurant, Firewater Lounger, and all are located in Trinidad.
The tribes of the Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community are known in particular for their basket weaving. The tribe offers basket weaving classes taught in the Yurok language. They have lived as hunter-gatherers and fisherpeople in the coastal redwood forests for millennia. Salmon, clams, mussels, ocean fish, deer, elk, and smaller game have been traditional staples, as have wild berries and tan oak acorns.
- "Population." SDSU: California Indians and Their Reservations. 2011. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community of the Trinidad Rancheria." Alliance for California Traditional Arts. 2009. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- Pritzker 155
- "Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community of the Trinidad Rancheria." United Indian Health Services. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Tribal Council." Trinidad Rancheria. 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Tribes and Tribal Communities of the North Coast." Integrating Tribal Marine Resource Use into the Marine Life Protection Act. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- Pritzker 161
- "Cher-Ae Heights Casino." 500 Nations. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1
- Trinidad Rancheria, official website