Cher Lloyd at the Paramount's Friends 'N' Family Grammys Party 2013.
28 July 1993 |
Malvern, Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, model , rapper , recording artist|
|Labels||Ne-Yo Demi Lovato|
Cher Lloyd (born 28 July 1993) is an English singer-songwriter and model. Lloyd rose to fame when she finished fourth in the seventh series of The X Factor. Shortly afterwards, Lloyd was signed to Syco Music.
Lloyd's debut single "Swagger Jagger" was released in July 2011. The single entered at number one on the UK Singles Chart and number two in the Republic of Ireland. Her second single "With Ur Love" was released on 31 October 2011, featuring Mike Posner, and peaked at number four on the UK Singles Chart, and number five in Ireland, preceding her debut album Sticks + Stones, which peaked at number four in the UK Albums Chart and number seven in Ireland. She debuted her third single "Want U Back" on 22 May 2012 in the United States.
Cher Lloyd was raised in Malvern, with her parents Darren and Diane and her three younger siblings Sophie, Josh, and Rosie. Lloyd attended Dyson Perrins High School, where she studied performing arts. She also attended the theatre arts school Stagecoach.
2010–11: The X Factor
Lloyd had previously auditioned for The X Factor before (when the minimum age was lower) singing ballads, but did not make it through. Lloyd has previously performed at holiday camps and said she gets a mixed reaction to her music, but was a big hit with x-factor judges at the time. She auditioned singing the Keri Hilson version of "Turn My Swag On". At bootcamp she sang a rap version of "Viva La Vida" At the judges' houses she performed "Cooler Than Me" but suffered from tonsillitis and was unable to complete her song.
Lloyd sang a rendition of "Just Be Good to Me" in the first of the live shows. In the second live show she sang "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)". In the third live show, she sang a mashup of "No Diggity" and "Shout", and in the fourth live show she sang "Stay". This was the first time Lloyd did not rap in her performance, and Cowell even called it "the performance of the season". In week five, Lloyd sang "Empire State of Mind", but judges stated that after last week they were disappointed. However the judges agreed that she redeemed herself with her rendition of "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" mixed with "Mockingbird", by Elton John and Eminem respectively, in week 6. In the seventh week, Lloyd was in the bottom two for the first time after her rendition of "Imagine", but Cowell, Cole and Walsh all saved her in the final showdown, resulting in Paije Richardson being eliminated. In the following week Lloyd performed "Girlfriend", followed by "Walk This Way". Both performances were credited by the judges and she was saved by the public vote the following night, securing her position in the semi final. In the semi-final, Lloyd performed "Nothin' on You" and "Love the Way You Lie" and was in the bottom two with Mary Byrne. She was saved by the judges again and put through to the final, even though voting statistics after the show revealed that Lloyd had the fewest votes. In the final she performed a mash-up of "The Clapping Song" and "Get Ur Freak On", followed by a duet with will.i.am, which was a mashup of "Where Is the Love?" and "I Gotta Feeling". Lloyd was then eliminated in fourth place, having received the fewest public votes.
After the final it was announced that Lloyd had been signed by Syco Music. Lloyd and nine other contestants from the series participated in the X Factor Live Tour from February 2011 to April 2011. The tour saw Lloyd performing for 500,000 people throughout the UK.
2011–12: Sticks + Stones, worldwide breakthrough, engagement and modelling
Songwriter Autumn Rowe and producer RedOne worked on her debut album, scheduled for release in November 2011. Her debut single, "Swagger Jagger", received its first airplay on 20 June 2011 after it had been leaked onto the internet on 15 June 2011 however, this version was later confirmed as only the demo of the track on Lloyd's Twitter account. The single was released on 31 July 2011 and peaked at number one on the UK Singles Chart on 7 August 2011.
On 28 July 2011, Lloyd previewed five tracks from her upcoming album during a Ustream session, including tracks featuring Busta Rhymes, Mike Posner, Ghetts, Mic Righteous and Dot Rotten. Lloyd confirmed on Twitter that "With Ur Love" featuring Mike Posner was to be released has her second single. The single was released on 30 October 2011. The single received its first radio airplay on 21 September 2011. The music video premièred on 1 October 2011, on morning show T4. The single sold 74,030 copies in its first week becoming the highest-selling number four single since Rihanna's "Only Girl (in the World)", which sold 74,248 copies in October 2010. Lloyd confirmed the album's title Sticks + Stones on her Twitter. The album was released on 7 November 2011. The album peaked at number four and has sold 198,199 copies in the United Kingdom as of January 2012.
On 21 November 2011, Lloyd announced her debut headlining UK tour, the Sticks + Stones Tour, set for March and April 2012. In December 2011, two more dates were added due to popular demand for tickets. "Sticks + Stones" will be released in 2012 through Epic Records in the United States On 13 December, a music video for "Dub on the Track" featuring underground artists Mic Righteous, Dot Rotten and Ghetts, who also all appear in the accompanying video, premiered on SBTV. The song will not serve as the third single.
In October 2011, Lloyd signed to Logan Media Entertainment under the management of Craig Logan, John Black and Christie LaRocque. In December 2011, Lloyd signed a record deal with L.A. Reid to Epic Records in the United States; "Want U Back" was confirmed as the third single from the album. The single version features vocals from American rapper Astro and was released 19 February 2012. Following the release of the music video on 6 January 2012, the single peaked at number twenty-six on the UK Singles Chart, due to digital downloads from the album.
On 10 April 2012, Lloyd announced she had started work on her second album. Lloyd also announced plans to re-release her single "Want U Back" in the US without Astro and has also recorded a remix with Snoop Dogg. L.A. Reid also plans to introduce Lloyd to American media in New York, hoping Lloyd will make a breakthrough in America. Her single "Want U Back" was released in the United States on May 22, 2012, without Astro or Snoop Dogg. The song peaked at number 4 on the US iTunes chart and 5 on the Billboard Digital Songs, being the 5th most downloaded song of the week selling 128.000 copies. On 25 July 2012 Lloyd made her US television debut when she performed the song live on America's Got Talent results show. As of November 2012, the single has sold 2,000,000 copies in the US and has been certified platinum. In the UK it has sold over 100,000 copies.
On 24 February 2012, it was announced that Lloyd had signed a modelling contract with the Select agency. Lloyd has been featured on the cover of RWD Magazine, and her modelling appearances have included Wonderland magazine.
Lloyd's next single, "Oath", was released on 2 October 2012 as the second single from the American version of her debut studio album, Sticks + Stones, and the fourth single overall. "Oath", produced by Dr Luke and Cirkut, was played for the first time on New York radio station Z100 FM. The track was released as single in the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand only. "Oath" was not as successful as Lloyd's previous single, "Want U Back", in the United States, debuting at No. 99 and peaking at No. 73 on the Billboard Hot 100.
2013: Second studio album
In January 2013, Lloyd announced that she would guest star on Big Time Rush. In February 2013, Lloyd confirmed that she is working on her second studio album. In March 2013, American singer-songwriter Demi Lovato announced her fourth album, Demi, which includes a track, "Really Don't Care", featuring Lloyd. On 18 May, Lloyd joined Lovato on-stage for a duet of the song at Kiss Concert '13 in Mansfield, Massachusetts. In April 2013, Lloyd announced she and Ne-Yo are to collaborate on a new Fruttare song, "It's All Good". "It's All Good" was premiered worldwide on June 18th 2013.
In March 2012, Lloyd announced her engagement to her boyfriend of less than a year, Craig Monk.
Lloyd has several different types of tattoos expressing different emotions such as an eye on her inner forearm.
I have many of them now. I really cannot stand some people when they say to me, "Oh it's going to look horrible when you're 60." Who cares? Then it's going to be like a piece of artwork that people can look at and see all the crazy things I did in my life. It's expressing me. This one's quite depressing (points to a tattoo of an eye on her inner forearm, see photo gallery above). This is a crying eye for all the sadness and poo that I've been through already at the age of 18. And trust me, it's been crazy. Like learning the strange things about life, when people pass away. You have to adapt to things that you've never been through before. And then having the kind of life where you can do anything you want, cause you're just the average Joe to being pushed in front of a bunch of cameras. I haven't adapted to it yet, and I never will. And I don't want to adapt to it, either [laughs]. I'm like, "Yeah, whatever!"
— Cher Lloyd talking about one of her tattoos
Musical style and voice
Her music is generally contemporary R&B, however her music has a feature of hip hop, dubstep, electronic, electropop, synthpop, dance-pop, bubblegum pop, pop and dance-pop in some of her songs. Lloyd sings in the soprano range.
Lloyd revealed in an interview that she is a fan of Dolly Parton. Lloyd was inspired by rapper Nicki Minaj, whom she said "changed pop music", adding that "No one was doing what she was doing, and then she came in and it was kind of one of those things where people were like, 'Whoa! She just changed pop music'. And she did! There's no denying it."
|2010||The X Factor||Contestant||The X Factor UK|
|2010||The Xtra Factor||Herself||The X Factor UK|
|2013||Big Time Rush||Herself||Big Time Scandal|
- Sticks + Stones (2011)
- 2012: Sticks and Stones Tour
Awards and nominations
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Nominee||Result||Ref|
|2013 Radio Disney Music Awards||27 April 2013||The Bestest - Song of the Year||Want U Back||Nominated|||
|She's The One - Best Female Artist||Cher Lloyd||Nominated|||
|Hit The Road - Best Break-Up Song||Want U Back||Nominated|||
|Funniest Celebrity Take||Cher Lloyd - How To Audition||Nominated|||
||This article uses bare URLs for citations. (April 2013)|
- Cherlloydvevo. "Kanaal van Cherlloydvevo". YouTube. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Boshoff, Alison (5 October 2010). "Cheryl Cole and the relentless rise of her X Factor mini-me Cher Lloyd". Daily Mail (London: Associated Newspapers). Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- Sara Nathan (8 September 2010). "X Factor favourite 'can't take the strain': Fears for 'frail and vulnerable' teenager Cher Lloyd". Daily Mail (London).
- Ed Gleave (3 October 2010). "X Factor Starlet Cher Lloyd to Fight on". Daily Star.
- Tuesday, 5 October 2010, 13:30 BST (5 October 2010). "Recap - 'The X Factor': Judges' Houses - X Factor News - TV". Digital Spy. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "The X Factor 2010: the 12 acts who made it to the Live Shows". STV Entertainment. 3 October 2010. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- Sheridan, Elimy (5 December 2010). "X Factor 2010: Cher Lloyd just scrapes through to the final after Mary Byrne is voted off". Daily Mail (London: Associated Newspapers). Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- Johnson, Chris (11 December 2010). "And then there were three: Cher Lloyd's X Factor dream is over as she is sent packing". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 11 December 2010.
- Lee, Cara (15 December 2010). "Simon Cowell snaps up Cher, Rebecca and One Direction". The Sun (London). Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- Posted by Jessica (7 February 2011). "Thank You For The Music: Autumn Rowe". This Must Be Pop. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Cher Lloyd Working With Red One". MTV UK. 11 January 2011. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "TBC: Cher Lloyd: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. 9 September 2009. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Cher Lloyd's debut single leaks online - Behind The Music". New.uk.music.yahoo.com. 15 June 2011. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- Twitter status
- 12:54 (20 June 2011). "'Swagger Jagger' released on July 31 – predictions of chart placement please!". Digital Spy. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Cher Lloyd USTREAM 07/28/11 11:08AM". CherLloydOfficial. Ustream. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- Jones, Alan (7 November 2011). "UK Singles Chart analysis: Professor Green's Read All About it sales dip 44%". Music Week. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- "Cher Lloyd names new album 'Sticks & Stones', reveals artwork". Digital Spy. 11 October 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Singles Chart Analysis: Jessie J holds off Rizzle Kicks and Guetta". Music Week. 23 January 2012. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "Cher Lloyd announces extensive April 2012 UK tour – ticket details". Nme.Com. 21 November 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Cher Lloyd adds more dates to UK 2012 tour. Digital Spy
- "Backbeat: L.A. Reid Talks Backstage at 'X Factor' About Chris Rene, New Regime at Epic". Billboard.biz. 8 December 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Watch Cher Lloyd's new music video for Dub on the Track!". heatworld.com. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Cher Lloyd premieres 'Dub On The Track' music video". Digital Spy. 13 December 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Cher Lloyd's video for Dub On The Track!". Sugarscape. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Cher Lloyd | Day 4 - Single Announcement. www.cherlloyd.com/
- "Cherlloyd events".
- Corner, Lewis (10 April 2012). "Cher Lloyd starts work on new album: 'I've done a few songs'". Digital Spy. Archived from the original on 13 June 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- Daniels, Colin (22 April 2012). "Cher Lloyd, Snoop Dogg re-record 'Want U Back' for US release". Digital Spy. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- X Factor: Cher Lloyd's 'Want U Back' enters US top 10, 12 July 2012, retrieved 17 August 2012
- Cher Lloyd makes US TV performance debut on 'America's Got Talent', retrieved 17 August 2012
- "Cher Lloyd to take modelling world by storm after signing to Select". Metro. Retrieved 8 January 2013
- "Cher Lloyd lands modelling contract with Select". Digital Spy. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- "Cher Lloyd debuts new song 'Oath' - listen", Digital Spy, 7 September 2012
- "Cher Lloyd reveals new single 'Oath' artwork", Digital Spy, 14 September 2012
- "Hot Chelle Rae To Tour Australia With Cher Lloyd". The Hot Hits. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- "Cher Lloyd announces engagement". Breakingnews. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- Galyes, Contessa. "Cher Lloyd: 'X Factor UK' at 16, Engaged at 18, and Still Never Growing Up (In House)". Blogmusic. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "Cher Lloyd influenced by Nicki Minaj". Entertainment.stv. Retrieved 2 October 2013.