Chernihiv (air base)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2006)|
|IATA: none – ICAO: none|
|Elevation AMSL||446 ft / 136 m|
Chernihiv (also given in the Soviet era as Chernigov) is an air base in Ukraine located 5 km north of Chernihiv. It was a training base. It was home to 701 UAP (701st Aviation Training Regiment) flying 101 Aero L-39C aircraft as of 1992.
The Chernihiv Military Aviation School of Pilots was activated on 6.11.40 in Chernihiv. 17.7.41 renamed Zernograd Military Aviation School of Pilots, but reverted to its old name 21.10.41. 5.12.44 awarded the Red Banner. 9.45 had five training squadrons (1st to 5th). 15.7.46 disbanded. Reformed 15.2.51 at Chernihiv, Chernihiv Oblast, as the 57th Military Aviation School of Pilots.
- 701st Training Aviation Regiment (Chernihiv, Chernihiv Oblast) with MiG-15 and Yak-18
- 702nd Training Aviation Regiment (Gorodnya, Chernihiv Oblast) with MiG-15 and Yak-18
- 703rd Training Aviation Regiment (Uman, Cherkassy Oblast) with MiG-15 and Yak-18
In 1963 the school was renamed Chernihiv Higher Military Aviation School of Pilots. In October 1968 the school was named "imeni Leninist Komsomol".
The school was subordinated to the:
- VVS Kiev Military District, 4.64 - 4.68
- 17th Air Army, 4.68 - 6.80
- VVS Kiev Military District, 6.80 - 5.88
- 17th Air Army, 5.88 - 1.92
In early 1992 the school was taken over by the government of Ukraine.
- Michael Holm, Chernihiv Military Aviation School for Pilots, accessed August 2011
|This article about a Ukrainian building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|