Cherokee (web server)
|Original author(s)||Álvaro López Ortega, Cherokee Project|
|Stable release||1.2.103 / April 21, 2013|
|Operating system||Cross-platform |
|Available in||English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Swedish, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese Simplified, Catalan, Galician|
Cherokee is an open-source cross-platform web server that runs on Linux, BSD variants, Solaris, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Windows. It is a lightweight, high-performance web server/reverse proxy licensed under the GNU General Public License. Its goal is to be fast and fully functional yet still light. Major features of Cherokee include a graphical administration interface named cherokee-admin, and a modular light-weight design.
Web server features
- TLS and SSL 
- Virtual servers 
- URL rewriting and redirections supporting regular expressions
- Authentication via htdigest, htpasswd, LDAP, MySQL, PAM, plain, and fixed list.
- Reverse HTTP proxy
- HTTP load balancing
- Traffic shaping
- Custom and Apache compatible log format.
- Ability to launch web applications on demand
- Audio/video streaming
- On the fly gzip and deflate compressions
- Resilient to the 10000 simultaneous connections barrier
- Server Side Includes (SSI)
- uWSGI support 
- RRDtool statistics
- Database bridging and sharding (DBSlayer-like)
- Graphical configuration interface
- Point & click deployments through an application market 
Configuration wizards are provided to automatically configure the web server to perform specific tasks, or run frameworks and applications. These provide support for:
- Comparison of web servers
- Traffic Server
- Web accelerator which discusses host-based HTTP acceleration
- Proxy server which discusses client-side proxies
- Reverse proxy which discusses origin-side proxies
- "Cherokee - Ohloh". Ohloh.net. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Cherokee Downloads". Cherokee project. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- "Cherokee license".
- Frommel, Oliver. "FEATHERWEIGHTS - Linux Magazine Online". Linux Magazine. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- "Installing Cherokee With PHP5 And MySQL Support On Ubuntu 11.04". Linux.com. 10 August 2011. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- "Cherokee vs Apache Benchmarks". Dynamic Hosting.
- "Cherokee vs Apache : An alternate web server". Craig Strong. Archived from the original on 2012-02-26.
- Contributors and metrics about Cherokee Project
- "TLS/SSL Cookbook". Cherokee project. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Virtual Servers". Cherokee project. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Supported authentication mechanisms". Cherokee project. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Supported logging styles". Cherokee project. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Cherokee uWSGI support". Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- "Application deployment with Cherokee Market". Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- "Recipes for specific tasks". Retrieved 2010-09-16.