Cherokee County Airport (Georgia)
|Cherokee County Regional Airport|
|IATA: none – ICAO: KCNI – FAA LID: CNI|
|Owner||Cherokee County Airport Authority|
|Location||Ball Ground, Georgia|
|Elevation AMSL||1,219 ft / 372 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Cherokee County Airport (ICAO: KCNI, FAA LID: CNI, formerly 47A) is a county owned, public-use airport in Cherokee County, Georgia, United States. It is located six nautical miles (7 mi, 11 km) northeast of the central business district of Canton, Georgia. The airport is adjacent to Interstate 575, about halfway between the city of Canton and the town of Ball Ground.
Although most U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, this airport is assigned CNI by the FAA but has no designation from the IATA (which assigned CNI to Changhai Airport in the People's Republic of China).
A redevelopment project currently underway includes an already completed 10,000-square-foot (930 m2) terminal; the ongoing lengthening of the runway from its current 3,414 feet (1,041 m) to 5,000 feet (1,500 m); a new parallel taxiway; instrument landing equipment; new hangars. The new facilities will accommodate 200 hangared corporate aircraft and provide 100 tie-downs for smaller aircraft.
Facilities and aircraft
Cherokee County Airport covers an area of 160 acres (65 ha) at an elevation of 1,219 feet (372 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 5/23 with an asphalt surface measuring 3,414 by 75 feet (1,041 x 23 m).
For the 12-month period ending July 2, 2011, the airport had 24,000 general aviation aircraft operations, an average of 65 per day. At that time there were 88 aircraft based at this airport: 78.4% single-engine, 15% multi-engine, 1% jet, 3% helicopter, and 2% ultralight.
It has a non-directional beacon (callsign WRLB3306) on AM longwave 416 kHz, which identifies itself with DJD in Morse code tones, then announces the name twice, followed by "automated altimeter", and the local sea-level pressure in inches of mercury (such as "two-niner-niner-five" for 29.95).
- FAA Airport Master Record for CNI ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 25 August 2011.
- "47A - Cherokee County Airport - FAA information effective 5 May 2011". FAA data republished by AirNav. Archived from the original on 29 June 2011.
- "Cherokee County Airport (KCNI)". Great Circle Mapper. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "Changhai Airport (CNI / ZYCH), China". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "Airport's $32 Million Plan May Lure Corporate Jets". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. 2006-08-17. Retrieved 2006-09-27.
- Aerial photo as of 1 January 1993 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for CNI, effective August 21, 2014
- Airport information for KCNI at AirNav
- Recent weather observations for 47A at NOAA/NWS