|Location||Marston Ferry Road
|DfE URN||137970 Tables|
The Cherwell School is a secondary school with academy status on the Marston Ferry Road in Oxford, England. The current school site was built in 1963 as a secondary modern school, later becoming the main comprehensive school for North Oxford. It consistently ranks among the top ten state schools for Oxbridge entry. Along with later expansions, in 2003, and as part of a city-wide reorganisation, it merged with the Frideswide Middle School, and is now a split site school of 1,700 pupils aged between 11 and 19. The Cherwell School's previous headteacher was Mr N McGowan. McGowan announced his departure on 2 April 2010 after 8 months in post.. McGowan left at the end of May 2010 and was replaced by acting head Paul James. In October, Paul James was appointed Headteacher.
The North site has recently undergone construction work, with the extension of the Sixth form common room. The original design, to accommodate only 100 pupils in years 12 and 13, became inadequate in recent years for the 300 or more pupils currently in the sixth form.
The main building work was construction of a new building alongside the existing block, and then removing the internal wall to create a much larger space. On the second floor of the structure, the school library has been extended to include quiet study areas, each with computer and desk facilities.
The school currently has the largest number of pupils of any state school in Oxfordshire.
Cherwell School alumni are called Cherwellians:
- Rachel Seiffert, Novelist
- Hannah England, middle-distance runner and World Championship 1500m silver medallist.
- Rupert Friend, actor.
- Ramin Gray, playwright.
- Afsaneh Gray, playwright.
- Orlando Higginbottom, also known as Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, Electro Producer and DJ.
- Adam Hunt, chess International Master and younger brother of Woman Grandmaster, Harriet Hunt.
- James Lavelle, member of music group UNKLE, founder of Mo'Wax record label.
- Yasmin Le Bon née Yasmin Parvaneh, model and wife of Simon Le Bon, singer in band Duran Duran.
- Tom Penny, professional skateboarder.
- Francesco Pilling, winner of Junior UFC.
- Tom Poster, pianist and winner of the keyboard section of BBC Young Musician of the Year in 2000.
The Student Union
In March 2014 the Cherwell Student Union was formed. The union was formed on the premise of working to help protect each and every student. The student union alows anyone to join who is at the school.
- Cherwell School website
- Exam league table results for Cherwell School, 2006 and results from 2005
- Ofsted inspection report (carried out in 2005)
- http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/portal/site/Internet/menuitem.7c7b38b14d870c7bb1890a01637046a0/?urn=123251&providerCategoryID=8192 [January 2008]
- Aerial Map of Cherwell School (North site)