Chery A3 4-door sedan
|Also called||Chery J3
Chery Skin/Skin Sport
|Assembly||Wuhu, Anhui, China
Cairo, Egypt (Speranza)
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door sedan
|Engine||1.6 L I4 (petrol)
1.8 L I4 (petrol)
2.0 L I4 (petrol)
|Wheelbase||2,550 mm (100.4 in)|
|Length||4,352 mm (171.3 in) (sedan)
4,282 mm (168.6 in) (hatchback)
|Width||1,794 mm (70.6 in) (sedan)
1,792 mm (70.6 in) (hatchback)
|Height||1,464 mm (57.6 in) (sedan)
1,467 mm (57.8 in) (hatchback)
|Curb weight||1,355 kg (2,987 lb)
1,395 kg (3,075 lb)
The Chery A3 is a compact car built by the Chinese manufacturer Chery since 2008, offered as a 4-door sedan and as a 5-door hatchback. It was revealed for the first time as a concept car at the 2006 Beijing Motor Show and production car two years later which went on sale in September 2008. The car was designed by the Italian studio Pininfarina.
In South America, Eastern Europe and Oceania it is marketed numerous different names, including: Chery M11 (in Ukraine and Russia), Chery Tengo (in Serbia and nearby countries), Chery Chance/Niche (in Turkey), Chery Cielo (in Brazil), Chery Skin/Skin Sport (in Chile), Chery Orinoco (in Venezuela) and Chery J3 (in Australia and New Zealand).
Safety and equipment
The car comes in standard with driver and front passenger airbags and additionally it can offer side airbags and as well front and rear curtain airbags. Also standard equipment includes ABS and EBD and optional there is TCS. The body structure is made 40% of high strength steel sheet. Standard equipment also includes power steering, electric windows, air conditioning, 205/55 R16 tyres with aluminium alloy rims, remote central locking or cd/mp3-player.
In December 2008, A3 received a five-star China-NCAP safety rating becoming the first indigenous car to achieve such a high-test rating. The process consists in three different tests; 100% front crash test with a wall (like the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) test), a 40% offset test (like the EuroNCAP) and a side crash test like the EuroNCAP.
The results of the A3 were 11,22 points in the 100% frontal crash test, 15,03 points in the 40% offset crash test and 16 points in the side crash test. Another Chinese car that received five stars in the testings was the Roewe 550.
Rumors were raised in December 2010 that the car was about to be built at the struggling FSO plant in Poland, when a Chery A3 was spotted coming out of the factory's gates in Warsaw and bearing a label marked with the FSO logo in the windscreen corner. However, Chery stated that it plans to export cars to the European Union only after 2015, though some of its products are already available in Italy through the DR Motor brand.
In March 2011, Belgrade Municipal police received a number of 15 Chery A3 vehicles (and two Tiggo), awarding the Chinese automaker as the winner in a bid where it reportedly competed against recognized brands from Europe. They are the first law-enforcement body in Europe to drive Chinese manufactured vehicles, after the Chery brand already gained access to the governmental vehicle market in countries like Egypt and Iraq.
|Engine||Code||Displacement||Power at rpm||Torque at rpm||Top speed||Years||Gearbox|
|I4 petrol engines|
|1,597 сc||119 hp (89 kW; 119 hp) at 6,150||147 N·m (108 lb·ft) at 4,300-4,500||180 km/h (112 mph)||2008–present||5-speed manual|
|E4G16||1,598 cc||127 hp (95 kW; 127 hp) at 6,150||169 N·m (125 lb·ft) at 3,900||180 km/h (112 mph)||2008–present||5-speed manual
|1,845 cc||132 hp (98 kW; 132 hp) at 5,750||170 N·m (125 lb·ft) at 4,300||168 km/h (104 mph)||2008–present||5-speed manual/
|1,971 cc||139 hp (104 kW; 139 hp) at 5,750||182 N·m (134 lb·ft) at 4,300||182 km/h (113 mph)||2008–present||4-speed automatic|
- "Chery crosses Straits to assemble its A3". chinadaily.com.cn. 2009-06-29. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- "Chery A3 Produced in Taiwan". cheryinternational.com. 2009-08-20. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- "Current Speranza Models". Speranza Egypt. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
- "2009 First Family Car, Chery A3 Hatchback Launched". cheryinternational.com. 2009-01-13. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "Designed in Italy, Engineered in China". cardesignnews.com. 2010-08-09. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Chery A3 (M11)" (in Russian). CheryPortal.ru. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- "Kineski Chery i zvanično stigao u Srbiju" (in Serbian). AutoBlog.rs. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- Vorotnikov, Evgeniy. "China's Chery To Invest $500 Million in New Turkey Plant". Edmund's Inside Line. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- "Chery Cielo é o nome do modelo A3 no Brasil" (in Portuguese). CARPLACE. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- Montiel, Leo. "El nuevo Chery Skin llegará a Chile" (in Spanish). Automocion Blog. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- "5000 vehículos chinos Chery se producirán este año en Venezuela" (in Spanish). AUTOmotriz.net. 2011-09-12. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- Pettendy, Marton. "Chery readies Corolla fighter". GoAuto.com.au. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- "Chery A3 - Safety & Security". cheryinternational.com. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "Chery A3 - Specifications". cheryinternational.com. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "C-NCAP tests on 24 December 2008" (in Chinese). autoinfo.gov.cn. 2008-12-24. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "A Deep Analysis on Chery A3 Winning the C-NCAP Five-star Safety Award". cheryinternational.com. 2009-03-18. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "C-NCAP tests results on 24 December 2008" (in Chinese). autoinfo.gov.cn. 2008-12-24. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "Chery, SAIC cars get 5-star ranking in crash tests". gasgoo.com. 2008-12-25. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "Następca Fiata 125p i Lanosa: chiński Chery Alve z logo FSO pojawił się w Polsce" (in Polish). superauto24.pl. 2010-12-10. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "Kto uratuje FSO? Chińczycy albo Hindusi" (in Polish). tvnwarszawa.pl. 2011-02-10. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "China's Chery plans exports to Europe after 2015". Automotive News. 2011-10-12. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Marka Chery w Europie dopiero po 2015 roku" (in Polish). 2011-10-14. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Chery wins bid from Belgrade Police". cheryinternational.com. 2011-04-01. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "Des Chery pour la police de Belgrade" (in French). leblogauto.com. 2011-03-25. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "Rumours 6: Chery's recruit drivers for CTCC". touringcartimes.com. 2009-01-29. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "Chery A3 battles for CRC" (in Chinese). chery.cn. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "Chery A3 price list and technical details" (in Chinese). chery.cn. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "Chery M11 Sedan 2.0 AT - Price, characteristics, equipment" (in Ukrainian). infocar.ua. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chery A3.|
- Chery A3 official website (hatchback)
- Chery A3 Review and Test Drive at Illustration of Chinese Car
- Detailed Photo Gallery of the Chery A3 at China Car Times
- Chery A3 Crash test by C-NCAP (Video) on YouTube