||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
Career and work
Dunn graduated from Rutgers University with a BFA in Art History. After moving to New York City in the mid 80's, she spent a large part of her career documenting city streets; and the people who strive to leave their mark there from graffiti writers, artists, skaters, boxers, bikers, protesters, and assorted characters. In the late 90's she began to focus on filmmaking, creating classic films about artists of her generation who have influenced the realities of urban life through their own work.
Her films have played at numerous film festivals including, Tribeca, Edinburgh, Rotterdam, Hotdocs, Los Angeles, Havana, and on PBS.
Dunn's work has been exhibited in various galleries and museums including The Tate Modern in London, Deitch Projects in New York, and the “Art in the Streets "exhibition at the Geffen Contemporary MOCA.
She was one of the subjects in the documentary, book, and traveling museum exhibition Beautiful Losers.
She has had two books of her photographs published, Bicycle Gangs of New York, and Some Kinda Vocation.
Her documentary film Everybody Street (2013) about photographers who have used New York City streets as a major subject in their work, world-premiered at HotDocs in Toronto in spring 2013. The film includes photographers Bruce Davidson (photographer), Jill Freedman, Joel Meyerowitz, Bruce Gilden, Mary Ellen Mark, Jamel Shabazz, Ricky Powell, Martha Cooper, Elliot Erwitt, Rebecca Lepkoff, Boogie, Clayton Patterson, Jeff Mermelstein with Max Kozloff and Luc Santé.
- Everybody Street, Seaport Museum of New York, NY. September 14, 2010 - October 2010
- FORMAT International Photography Festival, Derby, United Kingdom, April 2, 2011
- Tate Modern London, July, 2011
- HotDocs, Canadian International Documentary Film Festival, 2013, •
- T-Mobile New Horizons Film Festival, Wroclaw, Poland, July 24 - August 3, 2013
- Raindance International Film Festival, London, September 25 - October 4, 2013
- FOAM Unseen Festival, Amsterdam, September 27, 2013
- Atlanta Celebrates Photography, Atlanta, October 2, 2013
- Independent Photography Festival, Melbourne, November 4, 2013
- Raindance International Film Festival, Berlin, November 20, 2013
- Nitehawk Cinemas, New York, November, 2013
- Cinefamily, Los Angeles, December 2 & 7, 2013
- Miami Street Photography Festival, Miami, December 6, 2013
- Miami Beach Cinematheque, Miami, December 6 & 11-12, 2013
- ARTEFIERA at Cineteca Bologna, Bologna, Italy, January 24, 2014
- Los Angeles Center of Photography (LACP), Los Angeles, January 31, 2014
- ICA, London, February 7, 2014
- Gene Siskel Theater, Chicago, February 8–13, 2014
- FilmBar, Phoenix, February 13, 2014
- Rialto Theater, Amsterdam, February 19, 2014
- Hollywood Theatre Portland, February 19, 2014
- The Hepworth Wakefield, Wakefield, UK, February 2014
- Bloor Hot Docs Cinema, Toronto, February 2014
- Salem Film Festival, Salem, March 6–13, 2014
- Kentucky Museum of Art & Culture, Louisville, March 13, 2014
- EPOS International Art Film Festival, Tel Aviv, March 19–29, 2014
- Utah Museum of Fine Arts, Salt Lake City, March 26, 2014
- Creative Life Store, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, San Francisco, CA; included in package for the book, Some Kind of Vocation (2007)
- Bicycle Gangs of NY (2005)
- Garden State Film Festival, cell phones and train stations throughout the Republic of China, and Taiwan. March 2006
- Tribeca Film Festival New York, NY. 2005
- Darklight Film Festival, Dublin, Ireland. 2005
- Raindance Film Festival, London, England. 2005
- Palm Springs International Festival of Short Films, Palm Springs, CA. 2005
- Bicycle Film Festival, San Francisco, CA 2005
- Come Mute (10 min.) for the film Beautiful Losers
- Peace Consideration Community
- Mirror ball Endinberg International Film Fest & Pre-feature presentations throughout the UK 1999
- Warchild Benefit for the Yugoslavian refugee Program. 1999
- Backworlds for Words
- Moving Pictures. Dagkrant - 26th International Film Festival Rotterdam 1997
- Raygun screening Los Angeles, CA 2-18-1997
- Edinburgh International Film Fest Scotland 8-1999, 8-2001
- Pro Abortion by Susan Cienciolo (shot and directed segment)
- Some Kinda Vocation. Brooklyn, NY: Picturebox, Iconoclast, 2007.
- Bicycle Gangs of New York. New York, NY: Distributed Art Publishers, 2005.