Chester County, South Carolina
|Chester County, South Carolina|
Chester County Courthouse
Location in the state of South Carolina
South Carolina's location in the U.S.
|• Total||586 sq mi (1,518 km2)|
|• Land||581 sq mi (1,505 km2)|
|• Water||6 sq mi (16 km2), 0.96%|
|• Density||57/sq mi (22/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Chester County is included in the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC Metropolitan Statistical Area.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 586.2 square miles (1,518.3 km2), of which 580.7 square miles (1,504.0 km2) is land and 5.5 square miles (14.2 km2) (0.9%) is water.
- York County, South Carolina - north
- Lancaster County, South Carolina - east
- Fairfield County, South Carolina - south
- Union County, South Carolina - west
National protected area
- Sumter National Forest (part)
As of the census of 2000, there were 34,068 people, 12,880 households, and 9,338 families residing in the county. The population density was 59 people per square mile (23/km²). There were 14,374 housing units at an average density of 25 per square mile (10/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 59.93% White, 38.65% Black or African American, 0.33% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.25% from other races, and 0.55% from two or more races. 0.75% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 12,880 households out of which 32.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.80% were married couples living together, 18.60% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.50% were non-families. 24.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the county, the population was spread out with 26.90% under the age of 18, 8.40% from 18 to 24, 28.20% from 25 to 44, 23.80% from 45 to 64, and 12.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 92.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,425, and the median income for a family was $38,087. Males had a median income of $30,329 versus $21,570 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,709. About 11.90% of families and 15.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.20% of those under age 18 and 14.90% of those age 65 or over.
Chester county is an industrial and agriculture community, with much land area focused on raising beef cattle.
Other populated places
Local news media
- Chester Vision or CSN
- Chester News & Reporter
- WRBK, 90.3 FM, a noncommercial station that primarily features classic oldies
- John Adair, (1757–1840), born in Chester County (although at the time it was believed to be part of Anson County, North Carolina), would become a member of the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate, and governor of Kentucky
- Thomas and Meeks Griffin wrongly executed in South Carolina's electric chair in 1915. They were framed in Chester County in 1913 and pardoned in 2009.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Chester County, South Carolina
- Tryon County, North Carolina
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2013". Census.gov. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- http://www.carolana.com/NC/Counties/tryon_county_nc.html Tryon County, North Carolina History, by Alfred Nixon, 1910
- Who Was Who in America, Historical Volume, 1607-1896. Chicago: Marquis Who's Who. 1963.