Chester playing with Genesis during the Turn It On Again Tour (2007)
|Birth name||Chester Cortez Thompson|
December 11, 1948 |
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
|Genres||Progressive rock, pop rock, jazz fusion|
Thompson made his name as a session drummer. He played in Frank Zappa's touring band in 1973-74 alongside percussionist Ruth Underwood and jazz keyboardist George Duke.. Thompson played on several Zappa albums, including Roxy & Elsewhere (Live recording 8-10.12.1973 & 8.5.1974), You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 2 (Live in Helsinki, Finland 22–23.9.1974, released 1988) and One Size Fits All (1975).
From 1977-2007, Thompson played with Genesis as their touring drummer. His relationship with the band began when he replaced Bill Bruford, who took over live drum duties for Phil Collins in 1976 when Collins assumed the role of frontman for the departed Peter Gabriel, (although Collins would remain behind the drum kit in the studio). Thompson officially became the touring drummer  in 1977, playing on their tours in that year and in 1978, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983/4, 1986/7, 1992 and the 2007 reunion Turn It On Again Tour. Chester is featured on their live albums Seconds Out (1977), Three Sides Live (1982), The Way We Walk Volume 1 (1992) & Volume 2 (1993) and Live Over Europe 2007. Thompson has also worked with Phil Collins on his solo concert tours, drumming on the 1982/83 Hello, I Must Be Going! tour, 1985 No Jacket Required tour, 1990 ...But Seriously tour, The Tarzan Premiere tour of 1999 and The Final Farewell tour of 2004/05. He also appears on Phil Collins' Serious Hits... Live! (1990) live album and DVD, and has released his own solo album, A Joyful Noise (1999, Camino Records, CAMCD16).
Thompson also plays on the Steve Hackett albums, Please Don't Touch (1978) and Watcher of the Skies: Genesis Revisited (1996). Later on, he played on Tony Banks' solo album A Curious Feeling (1979). He also appears on Steve Hackett's live album The Tokyo Tapes released in 1998 (recorded, which features also and John Wetton, Ian McDonald and Julian Colbeck.
He was also a founding member of the band Fire Merchants with Brand X guitarist John Goodsall and bassist Doug Lunn and appeared on their first eponymous recording in 1989. Thompson played drums with Santana in 1984 and is credited in the Beyond Appearances album along with Chester D. Thompson on keyboards.
Thompson's playing style is widely acknowledged and respected, and can be seen on numerous live videos of Genesis, from 1977 up to early 1990s. His live playing with the band is a striking mixture of his own style and Collins' own, being equally comfortable with acoustic and electronic drums and is renowned for using double bass drums. In the past, Thompson has endorsed Ludwig Drums (1970-March, 1977), Pearl Drums (April, 1977 - July, 1987), Sonor Drums (1990–1999) and Paiste cymbals (1970–90), but has endorsed DW Drums since 2000 and Sabian cymbals since 1990. He uses Remo drumheads, Meinl Percussion and has his own Regaltip Chester Thompson signature drumstick.
He is currently a member of the Chester Thompson Trio. The group released a CD in 2013 entitled "Approved". The other members of the group are Joe Davidian, piano/keyboards and Michael Rinne, Acoustic/Electric Bass.
|This section requires expansion. (October 2011)|
- A Joyful Noise (1991, Mesa/Bluemoon )
- with George Duke, Gerald Albright, Brandon Fields & Fowler Brothers
- Approved (2013, Joyful Noise Inc)
- with the Chester Thompson Trio
With Frank Zappa
- 1974: Roxy & Elsewhere (Live recording 8-10.12.1973 & 8.5.1974)
- 1974: You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 2 (Live in Helsinki, Finland 22–23.9.1974, released 1988)
- 1975: One Size Fits All
- 1975: Bongo Fury
With Weather Report
- 1976: Black Market
With Air Pocket
- 1976: Fly On (East Wind Records)
- 1985: Hunter
- 1988: Breakfast for Dinosaurs
With Genesis (live albums)
- 1977: Seconds Out
- 1982: Three Sides Live
- 1992: The Way We Walk, Vol I: The Shorts
- 1993: The Way We Walk, Vol II: The Longs
- 2007: Live over Europe 2007
With Steve Hackett
- 1978: Please Don't Touch
- 1996: Watcher of the Skies: Genesis Revisited
- 1998: The Tokyo Tapes (recorded live 16. & 17.12.1996, released 1998)
With Tony Banks
- 1979: A Curious Feeling
With Ahmad Jamal
- 1980: Night Song (Motown, 1980)
- 1985: Beyond Appearances
With Fire Merchants
- 1989: Fire Merchants
With Phil Collins
- 1990: Serious Hits... Live!
With Chris Catena
- 2004: Freak Out
- Chester Thompson Official Site
- Jenkins, Todd (2002-04-24). "CD/LP Review: Black Market". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2010-06-01.
- Kelman, John. "Genesis: The Movie Box 1981-2007". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2010-06-01.
- Doerschuk, Bob (1 May 2002). Playing from the heart: great musicians talk about their craft. Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 237. ISBN 978-0-87930-704-2. Retrieved 1 June 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chester Thompson.|
- The official Chester Thompson site
- World of Genesis - Chester Thompson Biography
- World of Genesis - World of Genesis.com 2002 Chester Thompson interview
- Drummerworld: Chester Thompson
- Steve Hackett.com