Chesterfield, South Carolina
|Chesterfield, South Carolina|
Location of Chesterfield, South Carolina
|• Total||3.4 sq mi (8.9 km2)|
|• Land||3.4 sq mi (8.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||292 ft (89 m)|
|• Density||383.2/sq mi (148.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1231164|
Chesterfield is a town in Chesterfield County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 1,472 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Chesterfield County. At the time of the 2010 census, Chesterfield was the least populous of all of South Carolina's county seats.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1472 people, 597 households, and 358 families residing in the town. The population density was 383.2 people per square mile (147.9/km²). There were 683 housing units at an average density of 198.6 per square mile (76.7/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 64.64% White, 34.67% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 0.29% from other races, and 0.15% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.83% of the population.
There were 597 households out of which 28.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.5% were married couples living together, 19.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.9% were non-families. 37.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.19 and the average family size was 2.86.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.2% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 25.7% from 25 to 44, 24.9% from 45 to 64, and 18.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 81.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 73.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $25,833, and the median income for a family was $36,806. Males had a median income of $31,488 versus $20,625 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,481. About 19.7% of families and 23.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 39.0% of those under age 18 and 22.2% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Lieber, Oscar Montgomery (1856). Report on the Survey of South Carolina. South Carolina General Assembly. p. 32. Retrieved 2 December 2014.