Chetput is a locality in the Indian city of Chennai. It is served by Chetput railway station in the Beach-Tambaram line of Chennai Suburban Railway. Chetput has a pond between the Chetput railway station and the Poonamallee High Road, one of the last surviving natural water bodies in the city. It is the locality in Chennai where the mathematician Ramanujan died.
Along with Egmore and Nungambakkam, Chetput is considered one of the original villages merged by the British to form Chennai.
The area is named after Namperumal Chettiar, the building contractor and philanthropist who lived in the mid 19th century.
Until recently, the waters of Chetput lake supplied groundwater recharge for the surrounding neighbourhoods.
Shops,Sports Clubs and institutions in Chetpet
- The head office (karyalay) of the Rashtreeya Swayamsevak Sangh ( R.S.S.)
- Maharishi Vidya Mandir Senior Secondary School
- Shoppers Stop - Harrington Road
- Rani Arts & Teak - Harrington Road
- Dr. Mehta's Hospitals (Provides the leading neonatal and paediatric care amongst the hospitals in South India)
- Body Focus - Harrington Road (Fitness Gym / Slimming Centre)
- MCC higher Secondary School.
- MCC Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Wisen Technologies
- MSG Kitchen
- IDP Education
- Ega Multiplex
- Malayalam Club (Largest club in Chennai)
- India's second largest laundry (clothes washing area) at School Road, Chetpet, AKA Dbobi Corner
- UFC famous football team at Chetpet(Dr.Ambethkar Ground-MS Nagar)
- The Grand Sweets
- Tuberclosis Research center (Who)
- Madonna Matrix Football Club 2nd division Club in Chennai Football Association.
Location - Chetpet
Chetpet is located at the center of Chennai, not far from Egmore railway station. CMBT is 8 km from Chetpet.
Location in Context
Transport in Chennai