Cheung Kong Holdings
|Traded as||SEHK: 0001
OTC Pink: CHEUY
|Headquarters||Cheung Kong Center, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong|
|Li Ka Shing, Chairman
Victor Li Tzar-kuoi, Managing Director and Vice Chairman
|Products||Real estate, Investment, life sciences, IT, Hotels, telecommunications; & internet|
|Revenue||HKD 32.863 billion (2010)|
|HKD 26.478 billion (2010)|
Number of employees
|Parent||CK Hutchison Holdings Limited|
|Footnotes / references
Associates: Hutchison Whampoa
Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Limited
Hutchison Telecommunications and TOM Group
|Cheung Kong Holdings|
|Traditional Chinese||長江實業 (集團) 有限公司|
|Simplified Chinese||长江实业 (集团) 有限公司|
Cheung Kong (Holdings) Limited (Cheung Kong Holdings) is the flagship of the Cheung Kong Group, headquartered in Hong Kong, and one of Hong Kong's leading multi-national conglomerates.
Cheung Kong Holdings is one of the largest developers of residential, office, retail, industrial and hotel properties in Hong Kong. With its long history of property development expertise and residential estates, Cheung Kong Holdings has built many of Hong Kong's most notable landmark buildings and complexes.
Li Ka Shing founded Cheung Kong Industries in 1950s as a plastics manufacturer. Under his leadership, the company grew rapidly and eventually evolved into a property investment company. "Cheung Kong (Holdings) Limited" was established in 1971.
- 1 Component companies
- 2 Shareholdings
- 3 Other investments
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The group structure of Cheung Kong Holdings is shown below:
The market capitalisation of the Cheung Kong Group's Hong Kong listed companies amounted to HK$1,148 billion as at 31 January 2015. The Group operates in over 50 countries and employs over 240,000 staff worldwide.
In Hong Kong alone, the Group has nine companies.
- Cheung Kong (Holdings) Limited (長江實業(集團)有限公司) (SEHK: 0001,OTCBB: CHEUY), a constituent member of the Hang Seng Index.
- Hutchison Whampoa Limited (和記黃埔有限公司).
- Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Limited (長江基建集團有限公司).
- Power Assets Holdings Limited (formerly HEH, 香港電燈集團有限公司).
- Hutchison Asia Telecommunications Limited.
- Hutchison Harbour Ring Limited SEHK: 0715.
- CK Life Sciences Int'l., (Holdings) Inc. (長江生命科技集團有限公司) SEHK: 0775.
- TOM Group Limited
- TOM Online Inc.
Cheung Kong Holdings has been listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange since 1972. It is a property development and strategic investment company, with substantial interests in life sciences and other businesses.
It is one of the largest developers in Hong Kong with a long history of property development. About one in twelve of the private residences in Hong Kong were developed by the company.
The company and Sun Hung Kai Properties are together increasingly dominant in the development of new private homes, accounting for 70% of the market in 2010, up from around half of that in 2003. This concentration, with much of the rest of the market occupied by other very large firms, is attributed to the government's policy of auctioning land in expensively large blocks, squeezing out small and mid-sized firms, according to the Consumer Council.
In January 2015, Li Ka Shing confirmed the business would be restructured and its property business spun-off as a separately listed company, Cheung Kong Property. Under the plans, Cheung Kong Holdings will purchase the shares in Hutchison Whampoa that it does not already own, and merge the companies under a new single holding company, CK Hutchison Holdings. The new holding company has been incorporated in the Cayman Islands, rather than Hong Kong. The new holding company was established on 18 March 2015.
Hutchison Whampoa Ltd
Cheung Kong Holdings is the major shareholder of Hutchison Whampoa Limited (Hutchison Whampoa), with 49.97% of the shares. The Chairman of Hutchison Whampoa is also Li Ka Shing. Hutchison Whampoa is among the largest companies listed on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and it operates in over 50 countries. It is a Hong Kong-based multinational conglomerate and invests in five core businesses:
- Ports and related services;
- Property and hotels;
- Retail; and
- Energy, infrastructure, investments and others.
Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Ltd
The Chairman of Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Limited (CKI) is Victor Li Tzar Kuoi. CKI is the largest diversified infrastructure company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. It is a Hong Kong-based diversified infrastructure company, focused on the development, investment and operation of infrastructure businesses in many countries such as China, Australia, and the United Kingdom.
75.67% of the shares are held by Hutchison Whampoa Limited.
Power Assets Holdings Limited
The Chairman of Power Assets Holdings Limited is Canning Fok Kin-ning. The listed Hongkong Electric group of companies are
- The Hongkong Electric Company Limited (HEC),
- Hongkong Electric International Limited (HEI),
- Associated Technical Services Limited (ATS); and
- some minor subsidiaries.
The Hongkong Electric Company Limited mainly concentrates on generation and supply of electricity on Hong Kong Island and Lamma Island. Hongkong Electric International Limited pursues overseas investment opportunities and Associated Technical Services Limited's principal activity is engineering consultancy and project management.
38.87% of the shares are held by CKI.
CK Life Sciences Int'l., (Holdings) Inc.
44.30% of the shares of CK Life Sciences Int'l., (Holdings) Inc. (CK Life Sciences) are owned by Cheung Kong Holdings. CK Life Sciences is engaged in the business of research and development, commercialisation, marketing and sale of biotechnology products. Products developed by CK Life Sciences are categorised into two areas:
- Human health; and
- Environmental sustainability.
Property and hotels
The following are some of Cheung Kong Holdings's completed developments:
- Residential/comprehensive developments: City One Shatin, Tierra Verde and Caribbean Coast Phase I – Monterey Cove.
- Hotels: Harbour Plaza Resort City and Harbour Plaza North Point.
- Office buildings: Cheung Kong Center, World-Wide House, Shun Tak Centre and The Center.
- Industrial: Modern Warehouse.
Since 1992, Cheung Kong Holdings has entered a number of joint venture agreements (in many cases, together with Hutchison Whampoa) to develop properties in the Mainland. There are now projects in Beijing, Tianjin, Changchun, Shenyang, Shanghai, Qingdao, Chongqing, Chengdu, Wuhan, Xian, Changsha, Guangzhou, Dongguan and Zhuhai. It will continue to look for potential development in other Mainland cities.
Some of the projects Cheung Kong Holdings is currently developing in Hong Kong:
- The Legend at Jardine's Lookout
- Le Point, Tiu Keng Leng
- The Apex, Kwai Chung
- CASA 880, North Point
- Sausalito, Ma On Shan
- Celestial Heights, Ho Man Tin
- Metro Town, Tiu Keng Leng
- Central Park Towers, Tin Shui Wai
- Area 86, Tseung Kwan O (Package 1)
- Area 86, Tsueng Kwan O (Package 2)
- Festival City Phase 1,2 and 3 at Tai Wai Maintenance Centre
- Lot 2081 in DD109 at Kam Tin
Apart from the core business of property development, Cheung Kong Holdings' ventures include TOM Group Limited (together with Hutchison Whampoa), iMarkets Ltd, iBusiness Corporation Limited, CK Communications Ltd, Excel Technology International Holdings Ltd, mReferral Corporation (HK) Ltd and Beijing Net-Infinity Technology Development Co., Ltd.
- "cheung kong holdings ltd (1:Hong Kong)". Businessweek. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- "Cheung Kong (Holdings) Ltd". Reuters. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- Kwok, Vivian (12 Aug 2010). "Two developers tower over market". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 12 Aug 2010.
- Yun, Michelle; Chan, Vinicy (9 January 2015). "Cheung Kong to Buy Out Hutchison in $24 Billion Restructuring". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- Sito, Peggy; Li, Sandy (25 February 2015). "Li Ka-shing's two firms set for merger as Cheung Kong shareholders approve revamp". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "Overview". Hutchison Whampoa Limited. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "Group structure". Hutchison Whampoa Limited. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Limited: Chairman's message
- Hongkong Electric Holdings Limited: About us
- Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Limited: CKI At A Glance
- TOM Group: Company Overview