Cheyenne Central High School
|Cheyenne Central High School|
|5500 Education Drive
|School type||public, high school|
|School district||Laramie County SD #1|
|Average class size||230|
|Color(s)||Red & Black ‹See Tfm› ‹See Tfm›|
|Average ACT scores||22.1 average as of 2014|
Cheyenne Central High School is a public secondary school (grades 9-12) located in Cheyenne, Wyoming and serves Laramie County School District #1. The high school serves students who attended McCormick JHS, Clawson ES, Davis ES, Deming/Miller ES, Freedom ES, Gilchrist ES, Hobbs ES, Jessup ES, Pioneer Park ES, Willadsen ES, and Saddle Ridge ES in Cheyenne. The current principals are Dr. Stephen Newton, Mr. Brian Cox, Mr. Fred George, and Mrs. Kristen Siegel.
Cheyenne High School, the predecessor of Cheyenne Central High School, was the first high school in Wyoming, founded in 1868. The school is a charter member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Cheyenne Central High School was first accredited in 1904 and continues to be accredited by that organization and by the Wyoming State Department of Education.
Cheyenne Central offers 21 Advanced Placement programs. For the 2012-2013 school year, Cheyenne Central made Adequate Yearly Progress in accordance with the Federal No Child Left Behind Act.
Cheyenne Central is home to the second oldest JROTC unit in the United States behind Fort Leavenworth, Kansas (1897 - officially formed on 1917). The program was started in 1903, initially offering the class at Cheyenne High School (now called Cheyenne Central High School). It was initially run as a cooperative effort between the Wyoming National Guard and the Laramie County School Board. Since 1916, the program has been a cooperative effort between the school district and the U.S. Army. This unit is currently a Honor Unit (Top 50% in the Nation)
Sports competed in include Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Cheerleading, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Golf, Men's Soccer, Women's Soccer, Men's Swimming & Diving, Women's Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Track (I), Track (O), Volleyball, and Wrestling.
Activities and Clubs include, but are not limited to : Art Club, “C” Club, Change Attitudes Now (CAN), Centralaires, Cheerleaders/Dance, Close-up, DECA, FBLA, FCCLA, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, FFA, Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA), Green Club, Health Occupations, International Club, Interact, International Thespians, Key Club, Lariat - School Newspaper, Math Club, Mock Trial, National Forensics League, National Honor Society, POW WOW - Yearbook, ROTC, Science Olympiad, Ski Club, Skills USA, Sound Connection/Chorale, Student Senate, Student Trainers, Tomahawks, United Way, We the People, WHAM, and Writing Club.
Central Indians Band
Currently, the Central Indians band is directed by Kevin Madigan. There are multiple bands currently at Central High School including, Percussion, Guitar, Jazz Band, Jazz Orchestra (a more vigorous course of Jazz Band), Concert Band, and Wind Ensemble. During the summer, members of the band voluntarily march during the months of June and July. The group marches in the Cody Stampede Parades around Independence Day and during their hometowns own celebration of Frontier Days, a week-long rodeo known as "the daddy of them all." The band also competes at the Wyoming High School Association's State Marching Band Competition held in October each year. The past two seasons, the Central Marching Indians received a Superior Ranking for their outstanding performance:
2014: "Welcome to the Jungle" lead by drum majors, Bailey Hamman and Keahi Purdy
Caption Awards: Percussion and General Effect Trooper's Outstanding Leadership Award: Section Leaders
2013: "Cirque du Soleil's Journey of Man" lead by drum major, Kristina Edwards
Caption Award: Drum Major Trooper's Outstanding Leadership Award: Flute Section
This band has also played in Walt Disney World multiple times. Their most recent trip was Spring 2014.
- Boyd Dowler (Class of 1955), former NFL player with the Green Bay Packers; 1959 rookie of the year and five NFL titles
- Jim Eliopulos (Class of 1977), former NFL player
- Harriet Elizabeth Byrd (Class of 1944), first African-American member of the Wyoming Legislature
- Shirley E. Flynn (Class of c. 1946), American historian, author of Let's Go! Let's Show! Let's Rodeo!, a history of Cheyenne Frontier Days
- Chris LeDoux (Class of c. 1966), Country music singer
- Leslie Osterman (Class of 1966), member of the Kansas House of Representatives and retired health systems analyst from Wichita, Kansas
- Dean T. Prosser (Class of 1934), Wyoming politician
- Don Westbrook (Class of 1972), former NFL player
- Alvin Wiederspahn (Class of 1967), Wyoming politician, lawyer, and historical preservationist
- "LCSD1 Superintendent of Schools". Laramie County School District Number 1. 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "Cheyenne Central High School". Cheyenne Central High School. 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "Teacher Information". Directory. Cheyenne Central High School. 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "CHS Lariat". activity homepage. Cheyenne Central High School. 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "POW-WOW". activity website. Cheyenne Central High School. 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "Shirley Flynn". Wyoming Tribune-Eagle. Retrieved December 13, 2013.