Cheyenne Central High School
|Cheyenne Central High School|
|5500 Education Drive
Cheyenne, Wyoming, 82009
|School type||public, high school|
|School district||Laramie County SD #1|
|Superintendent||Dr. Mark Stock|
|Principal||Dr. Stephen Newton|
|Color(s)||Red & Black|
Cheyenne Central High School is a public secondary school (grades 9-12) located in Cheyenne, Wyoming and serves Laramie County School District #1. The high school serves students who attended McCormick JHS, Clawson ES, Davis ES, Deming/Miller ES, Freedom ES, Gilchrist ES, Hobbs ES, Jessup ES, Pioneer Park ES, Willadsen ES, and Saddle Ridge ES in Cheyenne. The current principal is Dr. Stephen Newton.
Cheyenne High School, the predecessor of Cheyenne Central High School, was the first high school in Wyoming, founded in 1868. The school is a charter member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Cheyenne Central High School was first accredited in 1904 and continues to be accredited by that organization and by the Wyoming State Department of Education.
Cheyenne Central offers 21 Advanced Placement programs. For the 2012-2013 school year, Cheyenne Central made Adequate Yearly Progress in accordance with the Federal No Child Left Behind Act.
Cheyenne Central is home to the second oldest JROTC unit in the United States behind Fort Leavenworth, Kansas (1897 - officially formed on 1917). The program was started in 1903, initially offering the class at Cheyenne High School (now called Cheyenne Central High School). It was initially run as a cooperative effort between the Wyoming National Guard and the Laramie County School Board. Since 1916, the program has been a cooperative effort between the school district and the U.S. Army. This unit is currently a Honor Unit (Top 50% in the Nation)
Sports competed in include Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Cheerleading, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Golf, Men's Soccer, Women's Soccer, Men's Swimming & Diving, Women's Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Track (I), Track (O), Volleyball, and Wrestling.
Activities and Clubs include, but are not limited to : Art Club, “C” Club, Change Attitudes Now (CAN), Centralaires, Cheerleaders/Dance, Close-up, DECA, FBLA, FCCLA, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, FFA, Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA), Green Club, Health Occupations, International Club, Interact, International Thespians, Jazz Band, Key Club, Lariat - School Newspaper, Marching Band, Math Club, Mock Trial, National Forensics League, National Honor Society, POW WOW - Yearbook, ROTC, Science Olympiad, Ski Club, Skills USA, Sound Connection/Chorale, Student Senate, Student Trainers, Tomahawks, United Way, We the People, WHAM, and Writing Club.
- Boyd Dowler (Class of 1955), former NFL player with the Green Bay Packers; 1959 rookie of the year and five NFL titles
- Jim Eliopulos (Class of 1977), former NFL player
- Harriet Elizabeth Byrd (Class of 1944), first African-American member of the Wyoming Legislature
- Shirley E. Flynn (Class of c. 1946), American historian, wrote Let’s Go! Let's Show! Let's Rodeo!, a history of Cheyenne Frontier Days
- Chris LeDoux (Class of c. 1966), Country music singer
- Leslie Osterman (Class of 1966), member of the Kansas House of Representatives and retired health systems analyst from Wichita, Kansas
- Dean T. Prosser (Class of 1934), Wyoming politician
- Don Westbrook (Class of 1972), former NFL player
- "LCSD1 Superintendent of Schools". Laramie County School District Number 1. 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "Cheyenne Central High School". Cheyenne Central High School. 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "Principal's Page". letter. Cheyenne Central HS. 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "Teacher Information". Directory. Cheyenne Central High School. 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "CHS Lariat". activity homepage. Cheyenne Central High School. 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "POW-WOW". activity website. Cheyenne Central High School. 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "Shirley Flynn". Wyoming Tribune-Eagle. Retrieved December 13, 2013.