Cheyenne Wells, Colorado
|Town of Cheyenne Wells, Colorado|
Cheyenne Wells, 2011
Location in Cheyenne County and the State of Colorado
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|State||State of Colorado|
|County||Cheyenne County Seat|
|Incorporated||May 14, 1890|
|• Type||Statutory Town|
|• Total||1 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|• Land||1 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||4,291 ft (1,308 m)|
|• Density||850/sq mi (310/km2)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|INCITS place code||0814175|
|GNIS feature ID||0195261|
The Town of Cheyenne Wells is the Statutory Town that is the county seat and the most populous municipality of Cheyenne County, Colorado, United States. The town population was 846 at the 2010 United States Census.
J. L. "Dusty" Rhoades, a young Cheyenne Wells rancher, relocated to Texas in the 1930s, where he was a founder of the American Quarter Horse Association, based in Amarillo. Cheyenne Wells was unofficially established in the early 1860s, possibly by a very small wagon train.
A small area about 10 miles southwest of Cheyenne Wells is antipodal, or globally opposite, to Île Saint-Paul, an island in the southern Indian Ocean, making this area one of only three locations in the United States that is opposite another landmass on earth.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,010 people, 417 households, and 261 families residing in the town. The population density was 974.3 people per square mile (375.0/km²). There were 505 housing units at an average density of 487.2 per square mile (187.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 91.19% White, 0.99% African American, 0.79% Native American, 0.10% Asian, 6.44% from other races, and 0.50% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.90% of the population.
There were 417 households out of which 33.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.5% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.2% were non-families. 33.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the town the population was spread out with 27.2% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 27.9% from 25 to 44, 20.8% from 45 to 64, and 15.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 100.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $36,563, and the median income for a family was $45,132. Males had a median income of $32,941 versus $23,077 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,840. About 7.5% of families and 11.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.4% of those under age 18 and 12.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- "2014 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Places". United States Census Bureau. July 1, 2014. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. 2004-12-01. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cheyenne Wells, Colorado.|