|Elevation||17 m (56 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Chhatrapur (also spelt as Chatrapur) is a town and a notified area committee in Ganjam District in the state of Odisha, India. It is the headquarters town of Ganjam District. There are two railway stations in Chhatrapur; they are Chhatrapur Station and Chhatrapur Court Station.
Chhatrapur is located at  It has an average elevation of 17 m (56 ft)..
As of 2001[update] India census, Chhatrapur had a population of 20,288 (fourth biggest city in the district of Ganjam after Brahmapur, Hinjilicut and Asika). Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Chhatrapur has an average literacy rate of 79%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 85% and female literacy of 73%. 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Indian Rare Earths Limited (OSCOM) which is a public sector undertaking under the Dept. of Atomic Energy is situated near Chatrapur which benficiates different minerals from the beachsands of the Bay of Bengal. Different products such as zircon, ilmenite, sillimanite, Rutile are extracted. It also houses a thorium extraction plant. There is a huge chain of cashewnut factories situated in or near Chatrapur. A Joint Venture between Saraf Agencies of Kolkalta and The Russian Federation has been signed to start a Titanium slag and pig iron manufacturing plant. However, Chatrapur, despite being on NH-5, the Chennai-Howrah Main railway line and with ample land and water has not been able to attract any largescale Industry which could potentially change the geo-economic scenario of the region.
Chatrapur celebrates almost all festivals. Thakurani Yatra, Dola Purnima, Durga Puja, Ganesh Puja, sarswati puja, mahakali puja and many other occasions are celebrated with pomp and joy. Thakurani Yatra is one of the most awaited festivals in the city which is celebrated once in every two years.diwali is another festival which is celebrated with full pump. Durga Puja, Diwali, Ganesh Puja etc.
Chatrapur hosts a Government Science College, Onslow Institution and some other private ones. It hosts many English medium schools which include
- Onslow Institution is one of the oldest schools of Odisha. It is established in the year 1855 by the British Govt. It is situated in between the Collector Bunglow and S.P. Office in Chatrapur, the Dist. Head quarter of Ganjam Dist. The School is having classes from VI to X. It is a non resident school. NCC, Redcross, Scout facilities are also there in this school. The school is having a big library. The strength of the teachers and students is 30 and 1400 respectively .
- Atomic Energy Central School (AECS) CBSE pattern at OSCOM/ IRE (Odisha sand complex)/ (Indian rare earth) at Matikhalo, also known as Kaliaballi[dark sand]. It locates just a 6 km distance from the main city centre Chatrapur.
- Carmel Convent School, ICSE pattern (classes from Nursery to std-10th, Chatrapur.
- Public school( CBSE pattern) Classes from Nursery to Std 10th. Located near Chatrapur stadium in front of District collector's Official residence.
- Women's college, in front of District collector's Official residence.
- PNUA (Pandit neelakantha utkal academy) at chandi mandir Square,
- Chatrapur Govt Science College
- Sri Maa Sri Aurobindo Institution of Integral Education(Purnaanga Sikshya Kendra)block colony
- Saraswati Sishu Bidya Mandir (Ram Nagar)
Current MLA from Chatrapur Assembly Constituency is Adikanda Sethi of CPI, who won the seat in State elections of 2009. Previous MLAs from this seat include Rama Chandra Panda of BJP who won this seat in 2000, Daitari Behera of INC in 1995, Parsuram Panda of CPI in 1990, Ashok Kumar Choudhury of INC in 1985, and Biswanath Sahu of CPI in 1980 and in 1977.
- "PinCode: CHATRAPUR, GANJAM, ORISSA, India, Pincode.net.in". pincode.net.in. 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2012. "PinCode: 761020"
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Chhatrapur
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "State Elections 2004 - Partywise Comparison for 72-Chatrapur Constituency of Odisha". Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-09-25.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies of Odisha". Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-09-25.