Chișinău International Airport
|Chișinău International Airport
Aeroportul Internațional Chișinău
|IATA: KIV – ICAO: LUKK
|Elevation AMSL||399 ft / 122 m|
|Sources: Moldavian AIP at EUROCONTROL
Aircraft movements data for 2012
The first scheduled flights to Chișinău started on 24 June 1926, on the route Bucharest – Galați – Chișinău and Iași. The flights were operated by Compagnie Franco-Roumaine de Navigation Aérienne - CFRNA, later LARES.
The main terminal was built in the 1970s with a capacity of 1,200,000 passengers per year. On 31 May 1995 Chișinău Airport was awarded the status of an international airport.
Following modernisation work by the Turkish company Akfen Holding A.S., the airport reopened in May 2000. An annex terminal building with an area of 4,270 m2 (46,000 sq ft) was added to the renovated present terminal building of 7,600 m2 (82,000 sq ft). The project covers construction of 3,000 m2 (32,000 sq ft) curtain walls, 3,200 m2 (34,000 sq ft) composite panels, 12,185 m2 (131,160 sq ft) asphalt road, a treatment plant with a capacity of 3,450 m3 (122,000 cu ft) a day, complete mechanical heating, ventilation and electrical systems along with the X-ray security, luggage handling, master clock, and flight information systems. The annual capacity of the airport has increased to 5.4 million passengers.
Chișinău International Airport is a member of Airports Council International.
Infrastructure and facilities
There are ten check-in desks and four gates at the airport. VIP and CIP guests are offered special services at the VIP terminal.
A visitors' terrace in the second floor opened in December 2006 but was closed due to security measures. The airport also has a commemorative plaque describing the first flight to Moldova on 24 June 1926 on the routes Bucharest–Galați–Iași and Chișinău.
Previously passengers had to present their passport, ticket and their registration (of foreigners - which used to be required). Passengers were allowed in the check in hall. With the introduction of e-tickets and the abolition of the registration for foreigners the airport reorganized in late 2006. This resulted in a bigger check-in hall and customs control is now after check-in.
There is a currency exchange area located in the front lobby, although the exchange rates are slightly higher than in the city. A coffee shop is located upstairs on the left side, as you enter the front lobby.
There are plans to enlarge the airport. The project involves EUR 19 million loan to Chișinău International Airport for the rehabilitation and upgrade of the existing runway, taxiways, aprons, and ramps, engineering works, safety equipment and other connected core assets of Chișinău International Airport. The European Investment Bank ('EIB') is considering co-financing alongside EBRD for up to an equal amount.
Airlines and destinations
|DHL Aviation||Bucharest-Henri Coandă|
operated by Farnair Switzerland
|Year||Passengers (total)||Change||Aircraft Movements (total)||Change||Cargo (tonnes)|
- Chișinău - Moscow Air Moldova, S7 Airlines with 320,990 (26.3%) passengers transported in 2012
- Chișinău - Istanbul Air Moldova, Moldavian Airlines, Turkish Airlines with 152,562 (12.5%) of passengers transported in 2012
- Chișinău - Antalya Air Moldova, Moldavian Airlines with 109,844 (9%) passengers transported in 2012
- Chișinău - Verona Air Moldova, Meridiana Fly with 81,733 (6.7%) passengers transported in 2012
- Chișinău - Munich Lufthansa with 69,568 (5.7%) passengers transported in 2012
- Chișinău - Bucharest TAROM, Air Moldova with 67,127 (5.5%) passengers transported in 2012
Busiest airlines in 2012:
- Air Moldova - 40.7%
- S7 Airlines - 13.2%
- Turkish Airline - 9.7%
- Meridiana - 9.4%
- Lufthansa - 5.7
- Carpatair - 5.1%
- Austrian Airlines - 4%
The Civil Aviation Administration of Moldova has its headquarters on the airport property.
Fly Level Flight Training Organisation is developing its main activities on the airport territory since August 2011.
There are bus lines and rutieră vans frequently departing from the airport (aerogara). Rutieră line 165 passes through the Botanica district and continues to the city center. The 'AEROGARA' bus departs from Piața D. Cantemir and has intermediate stops in the city center on Stefan Cel Mare street. It also stops at the central railway station 'GARA' bus station. There is a white livery bus operating in a 30 minute interval. A fare of (3 lei) must be paid to the bus conductor. It should be noted that all city buses may only stop at designated bus stops. This is different from rutieră vans, which may stop at any time, given the driver is notified a few seconds prior.
From the airport, it typically takes taxis 10–15 minutes to reach the iconic city wall of Chișinău. From there, it takes another 15–20 minutes to reach the city center, where most of the hotels are located. Taxi drivers charge approximately 70-80 lei for a ride to the city center, although it is highly advisable to agree on a price beforehand. Arriving passengers can find authorized taxis (Taxi 1407, yellow cars) waiting outside the front lobby. It is common to have taxi drivers approach you as you exit through the front doors.
- EAD Basic
- The results of 2011 at Chisinau Airport at airport.md
- Airline companies in Rumania (1918-1945)
- Chișinău International Airport at azworldairports.com
- About Chisinau International Airport at booking.md
- "Contact us." (Direct map link) Air Moldova. Retrieved on 31 December 2010. " Legal Address: Dacia bd. 80 ⁄ 2, Airport, MD 2026, Chisinau, Moldova." Address in Romanian: "bd. Dacia 80/2, Aeroport, MD 2026, Chișinău, Moldova." Map in Romanian. Address in Russian: "ул. Дачия 80/2, MD-2026, Кишинев, Молдова." Map in Russian.
- "Contact Information." Moldavian Airlines. Retrieved on 4 February 2012. "Secretary Office Address: Moldavian Airlines Aeroportul Chisinau MD-2026 Chisinau Republic of Moldova"
- EIB supports reconstruction and extension of Chisinau airport in Moldova
- "Contacts." Civil Aviation Administration of Moldova. Retrieved on 4 November 2011. "Postal address: Republica Moldova, Chisinau, Aeroport, MD-2026"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chişinău International Airport.|
- Official website
- (Romanian) Official website
- (Russian) Official website
- State Administration of Civil Aviation Administration of Moldova
- Full flight schedule - Flight numbers & Destination details