Chi Mei Corporation
|Industry||Chemistry, Medical, Biotechnology|
|Founded||January 11, 1960|
|Headquarters||Rende District, Tainan, Taiwan|
|Wen-long Shi (Founder)
Liao Jinxiang (Chairman)
Zhao Lingyu (General Manager)
|Products||Plastic, Photoelectronic, Food|
|Footnotes / references
Chi Mei Corporation (traditional Chinese: 奇美實業; simplified Chinese: 奇美实业; pinyin: Qíměi Shíyè) is a plastics producer in Taiwan. It is the largest maker of ABS resin in the world, producing about 1 million tons of ABS annually in 1999. It has factories in Tainan and Zhenjiang. It also produces acrylic glass, polystyrene, thermoplastic elastomer and synthetic rubber.
Chi Mei Corporation is part of a privately held holding company called the Chi Mei Group, which has numerous subsidiaries. One of them is Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO), which was founded in 1997 as a subsidiary of Chi Mei Corporation. Chi Mei Group was the largest shareholder in publicly listed CMO. The new Chimei Innolux Corporation (Chinese: 奇美電子，CMI) is the world’s No. 2 and Taiwan’s No. 1 largest maker of TFT-LCD panels and the likely owner of Westinghouse Digital Electronics. Though CEO Douglas Woo has maintained the confidentiality of the ownership of the private Westinghouse licensee, they admit a significant vertically integrated relationship exists between the two.
In 2001, the Chi Mei Group along with IBM Japan set up International Display Technology, which it subsequently sold to Sony in 2005. In 2010, Chi Mei Optoelectronics, then a subsidiary of Chi Mei Corporation, pleaded guilty to a price fixing conspiracy with respect to sales of TFT-LCDs between 2001 and 2006.
- Motohiko Kitahara. Innovative Strategies Help Wen-long Shi Foster Global Giant. 1999.
- Chi Mei Corporation: Products
- Plastics News - More News
- Consumer Electronics: The Clone Wars, Electronics Manufacturing Asia
- Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation 2005 Annual Report
- Chi Mei Corporation. Chi Mei profile
- Wang, Lisa (2005-01-08). "Chi Mei to sell Japanese unit to Sony". Taipei Times. Retrieved 2009-03-20.
- "Sony to Acquire IDTech's Yasu LCD Manufacturing Facility" (Press release). Sony. 2005-01-07. Retrieved 2009-03-20.