|Motto in English||loyalty, sincerity, integrity and respect|
|Religious affiliation||211 Project|
|Location||Tianhe District, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China|
Jinan University (JNU) is a public research and comprehensive university based in Guangzhou, Guangdong province, China. It is one of the oldest universities established on mainland China tracing back to the Qing Empire. Its mission is to spread Chinese learning and culture from North to South, and from China overseas. Jinan University was the first university in China to recruit foreign students, and is currently the Chinese university with the largest number of international students.
In 1996, it was included in the list of the 211 Project for the state key construction. It is a university administered by the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council and the Chinese Ministry of Education.
In 1906, Qing Dynasty minister Duan Fang submitted a memorandum to the Guangxu Emperor, proposing that an overseas Chinese school be set up for the purpose of spreading far and wide the enlightening influence of education and strengthening the emotional ties with compatriots overseas. Emperor Guangxu approved of his proposal and thus Duan Fang was honored as the founder of Jinan University. On March 23, 1907. Jinan Academy was founded in Nanjing, becoming the first of its kind in Chinese history and serving as a curtain-raiser for the later development of overseas Chinese education. In 1927, Jinan Academy was renamed Jinan National University, located in Shanghai. After the found of the People's Republic of China (PRC) in 1949, Jinan University was closed and its schools were merged with those of other university such as Fudan University. In 1958, Jinan University was reestablished in Guangzhou.
Going through ups and downs with the history of the nation since its founding named Chi Nan School in 1906 at the end of the Qing Dynasty, Jinan University has never lost its way in the pursuit of truth and knowledge. Under the guidance of the school motto loyalty, sincerity, integrity and respect (忠信笃敬), in line with the aim of “modernization, internationalization and comprehensiveness”, Jinan University has been developing quickly in recent years.
The name "Ji-Nan" (also Chi-Nan "reaching southward") comes from 'The Classic of History' (Chinese: 書經/书经; Pinyin: Shūjīng; ) which is a compilation of documentary records related to events in ancient history of China. The articles reads, "His speech and teachings spread from north to south, until they reached the four corners of the world." Thus the name "Jinan" conveys the school's mission: to spread Chinese culture and learning from North to South, from China to the rest of the world.
Location and Campus
The university has 5 campuses:
- Main campus, Tianhe District, Guangzhou
- College of Chinese language and culture, Guangzhou
- new campus, Guangzhou (Completed in 2014)
- Zhuhai Campus, Zhuhai
- Tourism College, Shenzhen
Jinan University has 25 colleges, comprising 55 departments and offering 86 undergraduate major fields. Among the 55 departments, 43 departments offer master degree programs and 19 departments offer Ph.D degree granting programs. There are 15 postdoctoral research stations, 170 research institutes and 84 labs in Jinan University. The university has four national key disciplines, eight key disciplines of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, 20 Guangdong Province Level-I key disciplines, and four Guangdong Province Level-II key disciplines. The university also has a key research base of national humanity and social sciences, a teaching and research base for Chinese language and literature of the Education Ministry, a base for national university cultural quality education, a base of national base for teaching Chinese as a foreign language, an educational base for overseas Chinese education of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council and a key research base of humanity and social science of Guangdong Province. Still, the university has one national engineering center, 7 ministerial centers (engineering centers of the Ministry of Education) and provincial centers, and 11 key ministerial and provincial key laboratories. There are 44,369 students in the university, including 10,354 graduates and 18,737 undergraduates. The number of overseas students, including foreign students, overseas Chinese students, students from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, is 11,124.
The current president of the university is Dr. Hu Jun.
- One of the oldest universities in China and one of the “211” key national universities in China
- The first university in China to recruit foreign students
- The first university in China to enroll students at both spring and autumn semesters
- The first university that pioneered the implementation of credit system in China
- The university with the largest number of overseas students
- The only university which have alumni in both Chinese and foreign state-level leaders in China
Jinan University has been active at academic exchanges, and has established academic cooperation or academic exchange liaison with more than 180 universities and research institutes in Asia, America, Europe, and Oceania.
Colleges and schools
- International School
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Foreign Studies
- College of Journalism and Communication
- College of Arts
- College of Economics
- Management School
- Law school
- Department of international studies
- College of Intellectual Property
- College of Science and Engineering
- College of Information Science and Technology
- College of Life Science and Technology
- Medical school
- The First Clinical Medical School
- The Second Clinical Medical School
- Pharmacy College
- College of Chinese Language and Culture
- School of Humanities
- School of Translation Studies
- International Business School
- College of Electrical & Information
- Shenzhen Tourism College of Jinan University
- Education College
International School is a college which provides programs taught exclusively in English. The School was established to cater to the escalating needs of Overseas Chinese and foreign students and selected high-caliber students from China. The Undergraduate Programs include Computer Science (CS), International Economics and Trade, Clinical Medicine, Accounting (CGA), Food Quality and Safety, Pharmacy, Public Administration (ADM), Finance (FIN) and MBBS.
Base on JNU humanity tradition and accumulation of disciplines, School of Management tries the best to be one of top business schools in China for cultivating talents in management, it has deep understanding in Chinese culture, globalization with modern business education.
College of Chinese Language and Culture
The College was conferred as the "National Base of Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language" by The Education Ministry, and "Overseas Chinese Education Base" by Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council. The College has become the top college in South China offering the programs of teaching Chinese as a second or foreign language and overseas Chinese education.
The college consists of the Department of Teaching Chinese as a Second or Foreign Language, the Department of Overseas Chinese Education, the Department of Applied Linguistics, Pre-University Department, Correspondence Course Department, Overseas Chinese Education Researching Institute, Overseas Chinese Researching Center, and Internet & Educational Technology Center. 
- Wu Xueqian, was the former Foreign Minister of the People's Republic of China.
- Li Lanqing, is a prominent Chinese politician.
- Jack C. K. Teng, was a Chinese educator, writer, politician, diplomat and Olympic pioneer.
- Lee Kong Chian, was a prominent Chinese businessman and philanthropist active in Malaya and Singapore from the 1930s to the 1960s.
- Huang Binhong, was a Chinese art historian and literati painter born in Jinhua in Zhejiang province.
- Cheng Yiu-tong, politician of Hong Kong.
- Zhang Tielin, Chinese actor and film director, dean of the art school of Jinan University.
- Su Bingtian, is a Chinese track and field athlete who competes in the sprints.
- Lau Cheok Va, the President of the Legislative Assembly of Macau.
- Kwan Tsui Hang, is a member of the Legislative Assembly of Macau.
- Ho Iat Seng, is a member of Legislative Assembly of Macau.
- About JNU
- JNU Motto & Spirit
- features that Jinan University can be proud of
- Office of International and Hong Kong,Macao and Taiwan of Jinan University
- Jinan University Accredited by Association of MBAs
- Jinan University accreditation of AMBA
- The College of Chinese Language and Culture of Jinan University
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jinan University.|
- Jinan University Official website (Chinese)
- Jinan University Official website (English)
- Jinan University International School website (English)
- 3D map