|Born||September 5, 1893|
|Died||November 9, 1972
Syracuse, New York
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
College Football Data Warehouse
John Francis "Chick" Meehan (September 5, 1893 – November 9, 1972) was an American football player and coach. His 17-year career coaching record was 115 wins, 44 losses, and 14 ties. He served as the head football coach at Syracuse University (1920–1924), New York University (1925–1931), and Manhattan College (1932–1937), compiling a career college football record of 115–44–14. Meehan played quarterback at Syracuse from 1915 to 1917.
Meehan stated, "We learn practically nothing from a victory. All our information comes from a defeat. A winner forgets most of his mistakes."
From 1920 to 1924, Meehan served as the head coach at Syracuse and compiled a 35–8–4 record. This total included back-to-back eight-win seasons in 1923 and 1924.
New York University
Meehan was the 19th head football coach for the New York University Violets located in New York, New York and he held that position for seven seasons, from 1925 until 1931. His career coaching record at NYU was 49–15–4. This ranks him first at NYU in total wins and first at NYU in winning percentage. Meehan was awarded a place in NYU's athletic hall of fame for his coaching efforts.
Meehan's last head coaching job was as the fourth head coach for the Manhattan College Jaspers also in New York City. He held that position for six seasons, from 1932 until 1937. His career coaching record at Manhattan was 31–21–6. This ranks him first at Manhattan in total wins and second at Manhattan in winning percentage.
Head coaching record
|Syracuse Orangemen (Independent) (1920–1924)|
|NYU Violets (Independent) (1925–1931)|
|Manhattan Jaspers (Independent) (1932–1937)|
- Danforth, William H. (1963). I Dare You (19th ed.). The Danforth Foundation. pp. 89–90. ISBN 9789561001596. "Don't be discouraged if you fail in your first efforts. Coach Meehan of New York University says, 'We learn practically nothing from a victory. All our information comes from a defeat. A winner forgets most of his mistakes.'""
- John Meehan year-by-year coaching results
- The Ultimate Guide to College Football, James Quirk, 2004
- New York University Violets coaching records
- New York University Athletics Hall of Fame
- Manhattan College coaching records
- "Chick Meehan, Football Coach Of N.Y.U. and Syracuse, Dead". The New York Times. November 10, 1972. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- Chick Meehan at the College Football Data Warehouse
- Gersbacher, Ron. (2012, January 25). "History of Syracuse Baseball," ch. 11