Chico (Amtrak station)
|Location||450 Orange Street
Chico, California 95928
|Owned by||City of Chico|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Passengers (FY 2013)||12,875 (Amtrak)|
Southern Pacific Depot
Map of California
|Location||Chico, California, USA|
|Architectural style||Carpenter Gothic|
|NRHP Reference #||87000001|
|Added to NRHP||January 29, 1987|
The Chico Amtrak station is a passenger station in the South Campus Neighborhood of Chico, California served by Amtrak. Formerly, named the Southern Pacific Depot, it is located at West Fifth and Orange streets and is used by Amtrak's Coast Starlight service.
The terminal is partially wheelchair accessible, has an enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public pay phones, free short-term and long-term parking. Trains run between Seattle, Washington and Los Angeles, California with a northbound and a southbound train departing from the station daily. The Greyhound bus station is also located at Fifth and Orange Streets.
Of the 74 California stations served by Amtrak, Chico was the 59th-busiest in FY2012, boarding or detraining an average of approximately 30 passengers daily.
The city and the Chamber of Commerce saved the current structure from demolition through an agreement with the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1987. That same year, the depot was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The building is also home to the Chico Art Center.
- In the film Magic Town, James Stewart stepped off the train into Chico at the station. This is the story of a pollster who discovers the perfect small town that reflects all of America's trends. Eventually, the town is spoiled by all of the media attention.
- During his 1952 Vice Presidential campaign, Richard Nixon was talking on the pay phone at the station when he got the news from the campaign headquarters that he would have to respond to the Checkers issue with the 'Checkers speech'.
- In 1996, the Olympic Torch arrived in Chico at the Amtrak station. The torch was carried through the closed streets with thousands of Chicoans celebrating along the path.
Platforms and tracks
|Track 1||■Coast Starlight||toward Seattle (Redding)|
|■Coast Starlight||toward Los Angeles (Sacramento)|
- "2013 California Report" (PDF). Amtrak. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2012, State of California" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2012. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- Great American Stations Accessed January 30, 2013.
- Butte County Listings on the National Register of Historic Places (Building #87000001)
- Chico Chamber of Commerce - Chico Movie History
- Amtrak – Stations – Chico, CA
- Chico Amtrak Station (USA RailGuide -- TrainWeb)
- Chico (CIC)--Great American Stations (Amtrak)