Chief digital officer
A Chief Digital Officer (CDO) is an individual who helps a company, a government organisation or a city (for example New York City USA, or Brisbane Australia) drive growth by converting traditional "analog" businesses to digital ones, and oversees operations in the rapidly changing digital sectors like mobile applications, social media and related applications, virtual goods, as well as "wild" web-based information management and marketing.
The responsibilities of an organization's CDO are varied and still evolving. The CDO is not only a digital expert, but may also be a seasoned general manager. As the role frequently is transformational, CDOs generally are responsible for the adoption of digital technologies across a business. As with most senior executive titles, the responsibilities are set by the organization's board of directors or other authority, depending on the organization's legal structure. The CDO is responsible not just for digital consumer experiences across all business touch points, but also for the whole process of digital transformation.
The CDO's responsibilities are to devise and execute social strategies that grow brand loyalty and advocacy on social networks by:
- Determining who and where the influencers are
- Empowering the influencers with tools to drive the message and brand across the community
- Listening to the community, engaging in bi-directional dialogue with customers
Examples of Companies Where Chief Digital Officers Have Been Installed
Some of the longer-tenured and/or high profile chief digital officers in place today include:
- Aviva: Andrew Brem
- BET Networks: Kay Madati
- Capgemini Consulting : Cyril Garcia
- CVS: Brian Tilzer
- Hill Holliday: Adam Cahill
- L'Oreal: Lubomira Rochet
- McDonald's: Atif Rafiq
- Meredith: Andy Wilson
- Starbucks: Adam Brotman
- Triature : Manveer Malhi
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chief Digital Officers.|
- "'Chief Digital Officer' is the next hot executive title, says Gartner". Betanews.com. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- "What Does A CDO Do Anyway?". Mediabistro.com. Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- "The Chief Digital Officer Handbook". Buckingham. Retrieved 2015-01-27.
- "Why CIOs May Morph Into the Chief Digital Officer". blogs.wsj.com. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Digital: transforms modern businesses and delivers a global 360 degree vision". Betanews.com.
- "Digital Transformation".
- "The Emerging Chief Digital Officer". OlivierNaimi.com. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- "Gartner: Do you have a Chief Digital Officer? You’re gonna need one". Networkworld.com. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- "New jobs as Chief Digital Officers emerging". getinfrontcommunications.com. Retrieved 2012-07-31.