|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
The Bhoganandishvara group of temples at the foot of Nandi hills
|• Total||4,210 km2 (1,630 sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Chikballapura district is a district in the state of Karnataka, India. In 2007, it was carved out of the pre-existing Kolar district by moving the talukas of Gauribidanur, Gudibanda, Bagepalli, Chikballapur, Sidlaghatta and Chintamani into the new district.
The town of Chikballapur is the district headquarters and a key transport link in the North Bangalore area. The north-south six-lane National Highway 7 (NH-7) as well as the East-West State Highway 58 go through the district. A rail line runs north from Bangalore to the town of Chikballapur, east past Doddaganjur to Srinivaspur and south to the town of Kolar.
Towns and attractions
The Nandi Hills and Nandi Fort (Nandi Durga) are situated within the Chikballapur taluk. Many historic temples are situated in the district, particularly in the town of Chikballapur.
The Dargha Of Hazrath Miskeen Shah vali Chikkaballapur
Jibin fort is also situated near nandi hills
According to a popular legend, the Marigowda, the son of the chief Avathimalla Biregowda, was hunting one day in the Kodimanchanahalli forest. He found a rabbit standing fearlessly in front of hunting dogs. Excited by this, the chief told his son that it was a sign of the boldness of the local people. So, he obtained permission from the king of Vijayanagara and built a fort and a town. This in course of time developed into the town of Chickballapur. During the rule of Baichegowda, the king of Mysore attacked the fort but had to withdraw due to the interference of Marathas. Dodda Byregowda, who came to power after Baichegowda, resumed control of the territories seized earlier by Mysore. In 1762, during the rule of Chikkappanayaka, Hyder Ali laid siege the town for a period of three months. Then Chikkappanayaka agreed to pay 5-lakhs pagodas, and the army was withdrawn.
After this, Chikkappa Nayaka with the help of Murariraya of Gooty tried to get back his powers. He was hiding at Nandi hills along with Chikkappa Nayaka. Immediately Hyder Ali took Chickballapur and other places and arrested Chikkappa Nayaka. Then with interfere of Lord Cornwallis, Chickballapur was handed over to Narayanagowda.some sources suggest that lord cornvallis visited the temple of shiva in peresandra which is 18 km off of chikkaballapur.in few references British text suggest that peresandra has a tremendous history After knowing this, Tipu Sultan again acquired Chikballapur. In 1791 British occupied Nandi & left Narayanagowda to rule the town. Due to this fight between Britishers and Tipu Sultan again started. Narayanagowda lost his administration. Later on the British defeated Tipu Sultan. Chickballapur also came under the administration of Wodeyars of Mysore, which is now a part of Karnataka.
As of the 2011 census Chikkaballapur district had a population of 1,254,377, roughly equal to the nation of Trinidad and Tobago or the US state of New Hampshire. This gave it a ranking of 385th in population of districts in India (out of a total of 640). The district had a population density of 298 inhabitants per square kilometre (770/sq mi). Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 9.17%. Chikkaballapura had a sex ratio of 968 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 70.08%.
- Dyavarahalli, Shidlaghatta taluk
- Gangasandra Village,Gowribidanur taluk
- Adegarahalli Village
- Vidurashwatha,Gowrbidanur Taluk
- Chikkakurugodu,Gowribidanur Taluk
- Gaunpalli Village
- Egua Bandalla kere Village
- Sudravapalli Village
- Chilakalanerpu village, chintamani taluk,
- Imareddy Halli Village, Chintamani Taluk.
- Mavukere Village, Chintamani Taluk.
- Yenigadale Village, Chintamani Taluk.
- Oolavadi Village, Chintamani Taluk.
- Kuruburu Village, Chintamani Taluk.
- Melur village, Shidlaghatta Taluk.
- Kurutahalli village, Chintamani Taluk.
- Mallasandra village, Bagepalli Taluk
- Appegoudanahalli, Shidlaghatta Taluk.
- shettigere chikkaballapur Taluk.
- Kanithahalli chikkaballapur Taluk.
- Ittappanahalli Chikkaballapur Taluk.
- Karekallahalli,Gowribidanur Taluk
- Peresandra, Chikkaballapur Taluk
- Pesalaparthi, Bagepalli taluk
- "District Census 2011: Chikkaballapura". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Trinidad and Tobago 1,227,505 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
New Hampshire 1,316,470
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chikkaballapur district.|
||Anantapur district, Andhra Pradesh||Chittoor district, Andhra Pradesh|
|Tumkur district (Southern)|
|Bangalore Rural district||Kolar district|