||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: unnecessary information. (June 2013)|
|• MP(Member of Parliament)||Ramesh Katti|
|Elevation||683 m (2,241 ft)|
|• Official||Kannada, Marathi, Hindi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Chikodi (Kannada: ಚಿಕ್ಕೋಡಿ) is a taluk town in the Belgaum district of Karnataka State, India. Chikodi is situated at the Karnataka border and surrounded by hills in all directions. Chikodi has many district level offices but still it is not declared as a district by the State Government.
Around 200–300 years ago, Chikodi was called as Chik-kodi (small village) where as the nearby Hirekodi (big village) was bigger than Chikodi. Over time, Chikodi experienced growth due to its famous betel leaves and came to lie on a major road.
Chikodi is located at  It has an average elevation of 683 metres (2240 feet).The town has an area of 18.29 km2. and is situated amidst hills; Temperature varies from a maximum of 35⁰ C to a minimum of 18⁰ C, maximum average rainfall annually is 826.64 mm..
As of 2001[update] India census, Chikodi had a population of 32,820. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Chikodi has an average literacy rate of 73%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 79% and female literacy of 66%. 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The taluka has 3 Sugar Factories in its belt. Krishna, Vedaganga, Dudhganga rivers made the land fertile and precious for agriculture. Tobacco farming is one of the other major activity in Chikodi taluk major production is in from the villages namely Galataga, Shiragaonwadi, Khadaklat etc. Nowadays trend of sericulture is booming in this area.
Chikodi Wind Power Project (CWPP): As Chikodi is surrounded by hills so there are lot of wind plants on top of hills located around the town for sources of electrical energy.
Lot of business and trading activities are developing in Chikodi after it has declared Proposed District place, many latest community halls, marriage halls like Mahalaxmi Marriage Hall's along with automobile two wheeler dealerships like Bajaj, Yamaha, Hero, Honda, TVS, and four wheeler outlets like Maruti Suzuki, TATA, Hyudai have come. Property prices have gone up heavily.
- Chandrakori Ganesh Temple, near Bus Stand on top of hill is very famous temple of lord Ganesha.There is one more temple known as Parati Nagalingeswara temple, is located about 2.5 KM away from the bus stand.
- Shantigiri Jain Temple - It is about 10 km from Chikodi. This village can be considered as one of the highlighted centers of Jain history, Where the shri shantigiri Tirth is situated.
- Yadur - Shree Veerbhardra temple is situated in the holy Shri Kseshtra Yadur,on the banks of river Krishna is located about 20 km from Chikodi
- Nagarmunnoli is one village near Chikodi its famous for its Ayurevedic Medicine.
- Chinchani - Having Allamprabhu Sidd Sansthan Math located near about 5 km from chikodi.
CLE's M.K.Kavatagimath Kannada & English Medium Primary and High School
GSES's English Medium Primary and High School
CTE Society's R.D. Kannada & Marathi Medium Primary and High School.
CTE Society's R.M. Kannada & Marathi Medium Primary and High School for Girls.
CTE Society's English Medium School (CBSC), Chikodi
St. Francis of Assisi school (ICSE), Chikodi
Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya,Kothali-Kuppanwadi, Chikodi Taluk
Chikkodi also has Government primary schools for boys and girls in Kannada, Marathi and Urdu Medium
CTE Society's R.D Comp PU college of Arts,Commerce & Science
KLE's PU colleges (Arts Commerce & Science)
KLE'S B.K College of Arts,Commerce & Science (BA,Bcom,Bsc & Mcom)
KLE Independent Pre-University Science College
CTE Society's Smt. A A Patil College of Arts & Commerce (BA,Bcom) for Women
CTE Society's College of Physical Education (B P Ed)
CTE Society's R D Job Oriented Course (JOC) College
CTE Society's R D College of Education (B.ED, D.ED)
CLE'S college of Education (B.ED, D.ED)
Chauson College of Education (B.ED, D.Ed)
Chikodi also has two Industrial Training Institute (ITI) Colleges
Government First Grade College, Chikodi
Adarsha PARA MEDICAL Institute
J.R.D Bate PARA MEDICAL Institute
KLE's Colleges of BBA,BCA and BBM
KLE's Law College
KLE's C.B Kore College of Polytechnic
KLE's College of Engineering and Technology
There is also a proposal to start Govt. Medical College in Chikodi..
Dispute regarding District status
Belgaum district is the largest district in the karnataka so bifurcation of district is must. Bifurcation of Belgaum district, which includes a total of 14 taluka's, has been a long pending issue. Karnataka Govt. has been already provided the District level offices to Chikodi which would help in the development of neighbouring taluka's of Chikodi, Hukkeri, Athani, Raybag, Nipani, and Kagawad. But as of early 2013 no decision has been made regarding bifurcation of Belgaum district and also not declared Chikodi as a separate district status by Karnataka Govt.
List of District Level Offices in Chikodi:
- Revenue Subdivision Office - 5 taluks
- Regional Transport Office(RTO) [KA-23] - 6 taluks
- Chikodi Lok Sabha Constituency - 8 Legislative Assembly
- NWKRTC Divisional Office - 6 bus depots
- Chikodi Postal Division - 5 taluks
- District Health & Family Welfare Office - 8 taluks
- Educational District(DDPI) Office -8 BEO offices
- District Irrigation Office - 6 taluks
- Police Department(DCP/Dysp) Subdivision - 5 taluks (10 Police Stations)
- Karnataka Power Transmission Corporation Limited(KPTCL) Office - 5 taluks
- Karnataka Public Works Department(PWD) Office - 8 taluks
- Zilla Panchayat Executive Engineer Office - 8 taluks
- Judicial District - 8 taluks
- Karnataka State Pollution Control Board (Regional Office) - 8 taluks
- Assistant Director, Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Services - 8 talukas
And many more...
The attempts of the government declaring additional Superintendent of Police(SP) post for Chikodi..
Majority of public transport in Chikodi connecting surrounding villages and towns is through city buses run by North West Karnataka Road Transport Corporation (NWKRTC) from Chikodi bus depot. Auto rickshaws are commonly available for commuting inside the city.
Chikodi is connected by road via three State Highways and all are exits at National Highway 4. The State Highways passing through Chikodi are State Highway 18 (Mudhol to Nipani), State Highway 12 (Bijapur to Sankeshwar) and State Highway 78 (Ichalakaranji to Hatharagi). NWKRTC runs buses from Chikodi to all corners of Karnataka as well as neighbouring states..Private buses R.R travels runs from Belgaum to Bijapur via chikodi for every half an hour. And also there are many prominent private bus services like VRL, SRS and Sea Bird Travels which operates daily night from Chikodi to Bangalore.
Chikodi has a railway station at Chikodi Road Station located at a distance of about 20 km. This station falls under South Western Railway Zone (Hubli)..Hubli junction (UBL) and Miraj junction (MRJ) which come under South Western Railway Zone and Central Railway Zone are the closest railway junctions to Chikodi Road Station. They are well connected by to major cities like Bangalore, Mysore, Mangalore, Pune, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Goa, New Delhi and Chennai.
The closest airport to Chikodi is Belgaum Airport and Kolhapur Airport located at a distance of about 75 km and 60 km respectively. Belgaum is directly connected with Bangalore and Kolhapur is directly connected with Mumbai.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Chikodi
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.