Left to right; Brandon Sczomak, Shawn Knight, Sean Clancy, Jeff Kraus (photo by Andi Hedrick)
|Origin||Detroit, Michigan, USA|
|Labels||Housecore Records / Forge Again Records / Joyful Noise Recordings|
|Past members||Ben Moore
Child Bite is an American post-punk/art rock band formed in 2005 in Detroit, Michigan, currently signed with Joyful Noise Recordings. The band was established by Shawn Knight, the guitarist/vocalist and sole original member through multiple personnel changes in the band.
Child Bite's sound consists of atonal guitar melodies, distorted bass and organ, frequent rhythmic shifts, and frenzied, howling vocals. Earlier recorded material often included additional instruments such as saxophone and violin. Their lyrical content is abstract and metaphorical, often dealing with topics such as fear, paranoia, and despair. Their sound has been described as "enormous and predatory, from the baleful rhythm section to Shawn Knight’s [frightening vocals]." They are self-described and acknowledged by authorities in the genre as having a "horrorshow/slasher-flick" flair, which descriptors apply to their records, their album art and their music videos. Their visual aesthetic is directed by their vocalist, Shawn Knight, who works professionally as a graphic artist.
In the spring of 2013, Child Bite was chosen as the B-Side for the notorious David Yow of Jesus Lizard and Scratch Acid(as well as many other well-known projects). Also appearing in the 2013 Cause & Effect Trilogy, was Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth (paired with Talk Normal), and Lou Barlow of Dinosaur Jr. (paired with Dumb Numbers).
"Morbid Hits," a collection of Anal Cunt cover songs, was released exclusively as a 5" vinyl record in early 2014 (via Housecore Records). This release featured the band being fronted by Pantera/Down frontman Phil Anselmo.
- Shawn Knight – Vocals, Guitar, Sampler
- Sean Clancy - Bass
- Brandon Sczomak - Guitar
- Jeff Kraus - Drums
- Ben Moore - Drums
- Zach Norton – Guitar, Bass
- Danny Sperry - Drums
- Christian Doble - Saxophone, Backing Vocals
- The Living Breathing Organ Summer LP (2010, JNR/FAR)
- Fantastic Gusts of Blood LP (2008, SSM)
- Wild Feast LP (2006, SSM)
- Strange Waste EP (2014, Housecore Records)
- Morbid Hits EP w/ Phil Anselmo (2014, Housecore Records)
- Split 12" w/ We Are Hex (2013, Forge Again Records)
- Vision Crimes EP (2013, Joyful Noise Recordings)
- Monomania EP (2012, Joyful Noise Recordings)
- Split 12" w/ Dope Body (2011, FAR)
- Exquisite Luxury EP (2008, SSM)
- Gold Thriller EP (2007, JNR/SSM)
- Physical Education Split EP w/ Stationary Odyssey (2007, JNR)
- Flexed Heads 7" w/ Hellmouth, Old Gods & Golden Torso (2014, Corpse Flower)
- Gods of Love 7" w/ Hellmouth, Old Gods & Golden Torso (2014, Corpse Flower)
- Demonomaniacs 7" w/ Hellmouth, Old Gods & Golden Torso (2012, Dyspepsidisc)
- Chickenshit Conformists 7" w/ Hellmouth, Old Gods & Golden Torso (2012, Dyspepsidisc)
- Family Men 7" w/ Hellmouth, Old Gods & Golden Torso (2012, Bellyache)
- Split 7" w/ DD/MM/YYYY (2009, Wham City/Dyspepsidisc)
- Split 7" w/ Big Bear (2009, JNR)
- Split 7" w/ This Moment In Black History (2009, FAR)
- Official website
- Child Bite on Facebook
- Child Bite on Bandcamp
- Housecore Records
- Forge Again Records
- Joyful Noise Recordings
- Suburban Sprawl Music
- "Artist Profile: Child Bite". Child Bite. Joyful Noise Recordings. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- Sant, John. "Who the fuck is Child Bite?". Fine Print Magazine. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- Tuttle, Jeff. "PREMIERE: CHILD BITE'S SPLATTERY MUSIC VIDEO, "THE NAB MUNCH IS ON"". Fangoria. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- Minsker, Evan. "Listen: New Tracks From Thurston Moore and Talk Normal, From New Split 7" Series". Pitchfork. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- "CHECK OUT THIS NEW SPLIT SEVEN-INCH FROM DAVID YOW AND CHILD BITE". VICE. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- Kennelty, Greg. "Phil Anselmo Covers An AN*L C*NT Track And It's Amazing". Metal Injection. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- "Philip H. Anselmo Teams With Child Bite For Anal Cunt Covers EP". The PRP. Retrieved February 7, 2014.