Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty
|Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty|
|Origin||Grand Rapids, Michigan|
|Genres||Industrial rock, post-punk|
|Associated acts||Tool, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer|
|Past members||Tom Geluso
Maynard James Keenan
Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty (also known as C.A.D.) was an American rock band based in Grand Rapids, Michigan notable for being one of the early bands of Maynard James Keenan, later of the bands Tool, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer among others.
After leaving the United States Military Academy in 1984, Keenan enrolled in the Kendall College of Art and Design in Michigan to pursue an art career. While at Kendall in 1986, Keenan was in two musical groups, Tex A.N.S. and Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty. After the former musical group, in which Keenan played bass, disbanded he began working with Kevin Horning on Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty, producing several recordings. Keenan learned to program a drum machine and began writing songs.
Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty first recorded a demo, an independent cassette called Fingernails in 1986, in Keenan's living room. While Horning played the guitar, Keenan sang, played bass and worked the drum machine. It is considered their "best-known recording."
One song on the cassette, "Burn About Out" is considered to be in part an early version of the Tool song "Sober". Although it's tempo is faster when compared to "Sober" and it lacks the "anthemic chorus," the verse melody is the same and most of the lyrics are present.
The following year, they recorded a second EP called Dog. Tail, a cassette sought after due to scarcity in copies. The three other members from Tex A.N.S., Tom Geluso, Stan Henderson, and Todd Horning were recruited to support Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty after Keenan asked them to return. Filmed on stage at the Kendall College of Art & Design, Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty appeared on a Grand Rapids public access channel in April 1987 performing a few songs off of Fingernails, including "Burn Out About." The airing also featured an interview with Keenan.
- Fingernails, (1986)
- Dog. Tail, (1987)
- Tom Geluso–percussion (1987)
- Stan Henderson–bass (1987)
- Kevin Horning–lead guitar (1986–1987)
- Todd Horning–rhythm guitar (1987)
- Maynard James Keenan–vocals (1986–1987), bass, drum machine (1986)
- Information on band members.
- Sutton, Michael. "Maynard James Keenan: Biography". Allmusic. Rovi Corp. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- McIver, Joel (2009). Unleashed: The Story of Tool. Omnibus Press. p. 9. ISBN 9780857120403. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Maynard James Keenan Bio". toolshed.down.net. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Children Of The Anachronistic Dynasty". The Maynard James Keenan Files. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Cross, Alan (2012). Tool: the secret history. p. 2. ISBN 9781927002292. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Rosenberg, Axl (25 January 2012). "One upon a time, Maynard James Keenen wasn't cool, either". MetalSucks. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Maynard James Keenan's Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty Live 1987 video". NME. IPC Media. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Teitelman, Bram (23 January 2012). "Video: Maynard gets "Sober" on public access in 1987". MetalInsider. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Fingernails". Discogs. Retrieved 8 October 2012.