Chilo, Ohio

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Chilo, Ohio
Village
Location of Chilo, Ohio
Location of Chilo, Ohio
Coordinates: 38°47′40″N 84°8′16″W / 38.79444°N 84.13778°W / 38.79444; -84.13778Coordinates: 38°47′40″N 84°8′16″W / 38.79444°N 84.13778°W / 38.79444; -84.13778
Country United States
State Ohio
County Clermont
Area[1]
 • Total 0.24 sq mi (0.62 km2)
 • Land 0.20 sq mi (0.52 km2)
 • Water 0.04 sq mi (0.10 km2)
Elevation[2] 499 ft (152 m)
Population (2010)[3]
 • Total 63
 • Estimate (2012[4]) 63
 • Density 315.0/sq mi (121.6/km2)
Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
 • Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4)
ZIP code 45112
Area code(s) 513
FIPS code 39-14226[5]
GNIS feature ID 1056800[2]

Chilo /ˈʃl/[6] or /ˈl/ is a village in Clermont County, Ohio, United States, along the Ohio River. The population was 63 at the 2010 census.

Gallery[edit]

History[edit]

Chilo was described in 1833 as having twenty houses and two stores.[7]

Geography[edit]

Chilo is located at 38°47′40″N 84°8′16″W / 38.79444°N 84.13778°W / 38.79444; -84.13778 (38.794447, -84.137813).[8]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.24 square miles (0.62 km2), of which, 0.20 square miles (0.52 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) is water.[1]

Demographics[edit]

2010 census[edit]

As of the census[3] of 2010, there were 63 people, 28 households, and 14 families residing in the village. The population density was 315.0 inhabitants per square mile (121.6 /km2). There were 56 housing units at an average density of 280.0 per square mile (108.1 /km2). The racial makeup of the village was 98.4% White and 1.6% Native American.

There were 28 households of which 21.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.4% were married couples living together, 3.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 50.0% were non-families. 46.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.25 and the average family size was 3.29.

The median age in the village was 50.8 years. 14.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 4.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.2% were from 25 to 44; 36.5% were from 45 to 64; and 22.2% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 41.3% male and 58.7% female.

2000 census[edit]

As of the census[5] of 2000, there were 97 people, 28 households, and 21 families residing in the village. The population density was 315 people per square mile (161.7/km²). There were 48 housing units at an average density of 241.1 per square mile (92.7/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 97.94% White, 1.03% Native American, 1.03% from other races.

There were 39 households out of which 20.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.7% were married couples living together, 5.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 43.6% were non-families. 35.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.49 and the average family size was 3.23.

In the village the population was spread out with 24.7% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 20.6% from 25 to 44, 27.8% from 45 to 64, and 19.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 115.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.5 males.

The median income for a household in the village was $38,333, and the median income for a family was $51,250. Males had a median income of $26,250 versus $26,250 for females. The per capita income for the village was $15,197. There were 4.8% of families and 12.4% of the population living below the poverty line, including 22.7% of under eighteens and 5.6% of those over 64.

Chilo Lock #34[edit]

The village is best known for being the site of a former lock along the Ohio River. Today, the site is a 39-acre (160,000 m2) riverfront park. The lock was replaced in the 1960s by the Captain Anthony Meldahl Locks and Dam.[citation needed]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06. 
  2. ^ a b "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31. 
  3. ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06. 
  4. ^ "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-17. 
  5. ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. 
  6. ^ "A Pronunciation Guide to Places in Ohio". E.W.Scripps School of Journalism. Retrieved 2008-12-19. 
  7. ^ Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 127. Retrieved 12 December 2013. 
  8. ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.