Domingo Francisco de San Antón Muñón Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin (1579, Amecameca, Chalco—1660, Mexico City), usually referred to simply as Chimalpahin or Chimalpain, was a Nahua annalist from Chalco. His Nahuatl names (Nahuatl pronunciation: /tʃiːmaɬˈpaː.in kʷaːʍtɬeːwaˈnitsin/) mean "Runs Swiftly with a Shield" and "Rising Eagle", respectively.
He wrote on the history of Mexico and other neighboring nations in the Nahuatl and Spanish languages, but the majority of his works have not survived. The most important of his surviving works is the Relaciones or Anales. This Nahuatl work was compiled in the early seventeenth century, and is based on testimony from Indigenous persons. It covers the years 1589 through 1615, but also deals with events before the Conquest and supplies lists of Indigenous kings and lords and Spanish viceroys, archbishops of Mexico and inquisitors. Chimalpahin recorded the 1610 and 1614 visits of Japanese delegations to Mexico (led by Tanaka Shōsuke and Hasekura Tsunenaga, respectively).
He also wrote Diferentes historias originales (also known as Relaciones originales). This work is a compilation of claims and proofs of nobility asserted by Indigenous leaders of Chalco-Amequemecan. It was written to serve as a judicial guide for the viceregal authorities for the granting of privileges and offices to members of the Indigenous nobility. There are eight of these relaciones. All contain ethnographic, social and chronologic information of great value to historians.
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (April 2009)|
- Álvarez, José Rogelio, ed. (1987). "Chimalpain, Domingo Francisco de San Antón Muñoz". Enciclopedia de México. vol. 7 (Edición especial, 2nd. ed.). México, D.F.: Compañía Editora de Enciclopedias de México, and Secretaría de Educación Pública. p. 771. ISBN 968-6234-00-4. OCLC 17430840. (Spanish)
- Bandelier, Ad. F. (1908). "Domingo (San Anton y Muñon) Chimalpain". In Charles G. Herbermann, Edward A. Pace, Condé B. Pallen, Thomas J. Shahan and John J. Wynne (eds.). The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the Constitution, Doctrine, Discipline, and History of the Catholic Church. vol. 3 (New Advent online reproduction ed.). New York: Robert Appleton Company. OCLC 311466391.
- Carrera Stampa, Manuel (1971). "Historiadores indígenas y mestizos novohispanos. Siglos XVI y XVII". Revista Española de Antropología Americana. (Spanish)
- Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin, Domingo de San Antón Muñón (1997a) [c.1621]. Codex Chimalpahin, vol. 1: society and politics in Mexico Tenochtitlan, Tlatelolco, Texcoco, Culhuacan, and other Nahua altepetl in central Mexico; the Nahuatl and Spanish annals and accounts collected and recorded by don Domingo de San Antón Muñón Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin. Civilization of the American Indian series, no. 225. Arthur J.O. Anderson and Susan Schroeder (eds. and trans.), Susan Schroeder (general ed.), Wayne Ruwet (manuscript ed.). Norman: University of Oklahoma Press. ISBN 978-0-8061-2921-1. OCLC 36017075.
- Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin, Domingo de San Antón Muñón (1997b) [c.1621]. Codex Chimalpahin, vol. 2: society and politics in Mexico Tenochtitlan, Tlatelolco, Texcoco, Culhuacan, and other Nahua altepetl in central Mexico; the Nahuatl and Spanish annals and accounts collected and recorded by don Domingo de San Antón Muñón Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin (continued). Civilization of the American Indian series, no. 226. Arthur J.O. Anderson and Susan Schroeder (eds. and trans.), Susan Schroeder (general ed.), Wayne Ruwet (manuscript ed.). Norman: University of Oklahoma Press. ISBN 978-0-8061-2950-1. OCLC 36017075.
- León-Portilla, Miguel (1961). "Chimalpahin y los orígenes del hombre americano". Homenaje a Pablo Martínez del Río en el vigésimo aniversario de la primera edición de Orígenes Americanos. OCLC 224542. (Spanish)
- Namala, Doris Mathilde (2002). Chimalpahin in His Time: An Analysis of the Writings of a Nahua Annalist of Seventeenth-Century Mexico Concerning His Own Lifetime (PhD thesis, UCLA ed.). Ann Arbor, MI: UMI-ProQuest. OCLC 249374923.
- Schroeder, Susan (1991). Chimalpahin and the Kingdoms of Chalco. Tucson: University of Arizona Press. ISBN 0-8165-1182-9. OCLC 21976206.