China Academy of Art
|China Academy of Art|
|Motto||團結 奮進 求實 創新|
|Location||Hangzhou and Shanghai, China|
|Colors||Black and white|
The China Academy of Art (simplified Chinese: 中国美术学院; traditional Chinese: 中國美術學院; pinyin: Zhōngguó Měishù Xuéyuàn) is a university of art in China. It was founded in Hangzhou in 1928 by the government of Republic of China. It is colloquially called Guomei (國美).
The China Academy of Art has a range of degree offerings and programs of study in fine arts in China. There are eight schools under its jurisdiction offering Ph.D., Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees in fine arts, design, architecture, multi-media and film.
There are 7,000 undergraduate and graduate students in three campuses with a faculty and staff of 800. The administration of the Academy is headquartered in the Nanshan Campus, which is located on the West Lake in Hangzhou. Students in the Master's program live on the alternate campus 40 minutes away, on the outskirts of Hangzhou. A free bus is offered to transport students to and from the campus from the dorms at designated times.
Other regional campuses are the Zhangjiang Campus, which is in Shanghai, and the Xiangshan Central Campus. In the Eleventh Five-Year Plan, the undergraduate student population will grow to 6,600 with a graduate student body of 800, making it one of the biggest fine art institutions in the world.
Undergraduate students typically spend one year in general education courses in the Department of Foundation and then three years in the core courses of their particular majors. Graduate courses are typically three years long and include experience in the studio and research with mentoring faculty. Foreign students can take short-term or long-term courses in Chinese art, language and culture in the Institute of International Education. Courses are taught mainly in Chinese, so students are advised to take 1 year of only Chinese classes before attending art classes. In order to progress onto art classes, students must take a Chinese proficiency test. If students do not pass the Chinese reading/writing/speaking test, they can enroll in a second year of Chinese lessons.
In 1928, the National Academy of Art (國立藝術院) was founded as the firstart academy in China on the bank of the West Lake in Hangzhou by the educator Cai Yuanpei with Lin Fengmian. Over the decades, the location of the academy has changed ten times and its name changed six times, as follows:
- 1928 - National Academy of Art (國立藝術院).
- 1929 - Hangzhou National College of Art (國立杭州藝術專科學校).
- 1938 - National College of Art (國立藝術專科學校).
- 1950 - East-China Campus of Central Academy of Fine Arts (中央美術學院華東分院).
- 1958 - Zhejiang Academy of Fine Arts (浙江美術學院).
- 1993 - China Academy of Art (中國美術學院).
- Nanshan Campus, 218 Nanshan Road, Shangcheng District, Hangzhou
- Zhangjiang Campus, in Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park, Pudong New District, Shanghai
- Xiangshan Central Campus, in Zhuantang Town, Xihu (West Lake) District, Hangzhou
- Binjiang Campus, Xihuan Road, Binjiang District, Hangzhou. Moved into Xiangshan Campus in autumn 2007.
Colleges and departments
- The School of Fine Arts (造型藝術學院)
- The Department of Chinese Painting (中國畫系)
- The Department of Calligraphy (書法系)
- The Department of Oil Painting (油畫系)
- The Department of Print-making (版畫系)
- The Department of Sculpture (雕塑系)
- The School of Intermedia Art([SIMA]跨媒体学院)
- Open Media Lab(开放媒体工作室)
- Embodied Media Studio（具体媒介工作室）
- Total Art Studio(总体艺术工作室)
- Installation & Narrative Environment Studio（空间多媒体工作室）
- Experimental Image Studio(实验影像工作室)
- The Advanced School of Art and Humanities (藝術人文學院)
- The Shanghai School of Design (上海設計學院)
- The Department of Landscape and Architecture Design (景觀與建築設計系),
- The Department of Visual Communication Design (視覺傳達設計系),
- The Department of Muti-media and Web Design (多媒體影像設計系),
- The Department of Industrial Design (工業設計系),
- The Department of Fashion Design (服裝設計系),
- The Department of Urban Landscape Plastic Art Design (城市景觀造型藝術系).
Xiangshan Central cmpus
- The School of Design (設計藝術學院)
- The Department of Graphic Design (平面設計系),
- The Department of Industrial Design (工業設計系),
- The Department of Fashion & Textile Design (服裝与染织設計系),
- The Department of Comprehensive Design (綜合設計系),
- The Department of Art Design (藝術設計學系).
- The School of Architectural Art (建築藝術學院)
- The Department of Architectural Art (建築藝術系),
- The Department of Urban Design (城市設計系),
- The Department of Environmental Art (環境藝術系),
- The Department of Landscape Design(景觀設計系).
- Public Art Institute (公共藝術學院) (A private sub-college)
- The Department of Art Education (美術教育系),
- The Department of Murals Art (壁畫藝術系),
- The Department of Ceramics and Arts and Crafts (陶瓷和工藝美術系),
- The Department of Public Art (公共空間藝術系).
- Media and Animation Institute (傳媒動畫學院) (A private sub-college)
- The Department of Photographics (攝影系),
- The Department of Animation (動畫系),
- The Department of Online Games (网络游戏系),
- The Department of Film, Video and Advertising (影視廣告系).
- (All schools in the Xiangshan Central Campus share a common department of foundation.)
- The College of International Education (國際教育學院), located at the Nanshan Campus.
- The College of Adult Education or The College of Continuing Education (成人教育學院/繼續教育學院).
- The Vocational College of Art Design (高職學院).