China Grove, North Carolina
|China Grove, North Carolina|
China Grove Roller Mill Museum
Location of China Grove, North Carolina
|• Total||2.0 sq mi (5.1 km2)|
|• Land||2.0 sq mi (5.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||846 ft (258 m)|
|• Density||1,847.9/sq mi (713.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1019666|
China Grove is located at (35.570289, -80.577934).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,616 people, 1,388 households, and 999 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,847.9 people per square mile (712.3/km²). There were 1,466 housing units at an average density of 749.2 per square mile (288.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 85.70% White, 6.97% African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.94% Asian, 0.14% Pacific Islander, 5.39% from other races, and 0.58% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.43% of the population.
There were 1,388 households out of which 34.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.7% were married couples living together, 13.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.0% were non-families. 24.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the town the population was spread out with 25.6% under the age of 18, 9.9% from 18 to 24, 29.9% from 25 to 44, 21.0% from 45 to 64, and 13.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 94.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $36,580, and the median income for a family was $40,402. Males had a median income of $29,167 versus $21,932 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,040. About 10.2% of families and 12.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.2% of those under age 18 and 7.5% of those age 65 or over.
- Curly Seckler, mandolin player with the Foggy Mountain Boys
- Jackie Fargo (a.k.a. Henry Faggart), former professional wrestler resided in China Grove. Fargo once led the careers of Jerry Lawler and The Fabulous Ones Stan Lane and Steve Keirn.
- Dillon Stevens, actor and dancer best known for playing Michael in touring productions of Billy Elliot the Musical
- Wednesday 13, rock musician
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "School Locations Map". Rowan-Salisbury School System. Retrieved February 14, 2013.
- Rovi, Margaret Reges. "Curly Seckler Biography". CMT.com. AMG. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "Wrestler Profiles: Jackie Fargo". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved 2011-09-06.