|Playboy centerfold appearance|
|Preceded by||Melba Ogle|
|Succeeded by||Astrid Schulz|
September 2, 1942 |
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 4.5 in (1.64 m)|
|Weight||112 lb (51 kg; 8.0 st)|
China Lee, born Margaret Lee, (born September 2, 1942) is an American model and actress. She was Playboy's Playmate of the Month for the August 1964 issue, and the first Asian American Playmate. Her centerfold was photographed by Pompeo Posar. According to her Playmate profile, her name is pronounced "chee-na" to rhyme with "Tina".
Lee was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, to Chinese parents who had emigrated to the United States after their marriage. The family owned a laundry. She is the youngest of eight children and the younger sister of Harry Lee, who served as the sheriff of Jefferson Parish, Louisiana for about 28 years. The name "China" is derived from the nickname "Chinita" ("little Chinese girl") bestowed on her by Spanish-speaking neighbors who admired her dancing as a child.
Lee worked as a hairstylist and waitress, then as a Playboy Club Bunny, before appearing in Playboy. She had been a "Training Bunny," which required her to travel to different Playboy Clubs to teach prospective Bunnies their duties.
- Medium Cool (1969)
- Don't Make Waves (1967)
- Good Times (1967)
- The Girl from U.N.C.L.E. (1967)
- The Swinger (1966)
- What's Up, Tiger Lily? (1966)
- Harper (1966) .... Dancer
- Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine (1965)
- The Troublemaker (1964)
- "Playmate data". Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- Feng, Rex (12 November 2007). "Showdown With The ‘Chinese Cowboy’: Wrangling with the legacy of late Louisiana Sheriff Harry Lee". AsianWeek. Retrieved 1 May 2011.
- Army Archerd (June 21, 1996). "Copperfield Act Could Blow Away Auds". Variety. Retrieved 2006-11-09.
Mort Sahl, "picking up the pieces" since the March 27 death of his son, Mort Jr., returns to the stage, with a four-week stand at the Tiffany, starting July 17.